Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

Spencer Lee registered for Vegas...

To wrestle in the same weight class as a 4X champion, a 3X Champion, a 2X Hodge winner, and a former world medalist. Totally the same thing.

As a 197 lb wrestler who many thought would eventually move up to HWT.  Instead he moved down.  Because that was the best weight for him.  That's why these decisions should be made, not to satisfy anonymous internet posters.

Because the weight class is now a joke. He will spend a total of 2 minutes wrestling

And quite honestly it is none of your business at which weight he chooses to wrestle, why he chooses that weight, or how long it takes him to tech everybody. 

And quite honestly it is none of your business at which weight he chooses to wrestle, why he chooses that weight, or how long it takes him to tech everybody. 

med_gallery_56225_1038_62827.jpg

If everyone minded their own business than internet message boards like this one would literally cease to exist.  

he weighed in at 53.8kg (119) at akron last year... my guess is although he is still small for a his age, he hasn't shrunk any...

he is pulling some to get to 50kg and it is almost assuredly to separate from teasdale...

and let's be honest, fix will be a monster at 55kg... the same result as last year is almost guaranteed

Juniors would be harder imo. The other thing is that obviously a 55 has the edge over a 50. More than 10% difference.

Actually, it is exactly a 10 percent difference, not more than. But your point is not diminished.

Edited by nom

Seems like the board is getting more and more over run by message board trolls and passive aggressive types.

Welcome to the internet. 

You want it all calm and respectful go read a crafting blog. 

"Gavin is heavier/bigger than Spencer right now. It was said to me they think Gavin will be a 141 lber. You'd be surprised how heavy he gets already." - Christian Pyles

Plus Teasdale said himself he see's himself as a 133/141 in College. 

Lee says he see's himself as a career 125.  "I want to be a 4 time undefeated national champion at 125." -Spencer Lee (PD Interview yesterday from IAWrestle guys)

Lee says he see's himself as a career 125.  "I want to be a 4 time undefeated national champion at 125." -Spencer Lee (PD Interview yesterday from IAWrestle guys)

What?!  Spencer Lee isn't bumping up in college to challenge himself at 133 or 141?  What a joke!  ;)

he weighed in at 53.8kg (119) at akron last year... my guess is although he is still small for a his age, he hasn't shrunk any...

he is pulling some to get to 50kg and it is almost assuredly to separate from teasdale...

and let's be honest, fix will be a monster at 55kg... the same result as last year is almost guaranteed

Remember he had an extremely debilitating shoulder injury that even prevented him from running for several months. He may actually be smaller this year than last year, when he could train hard and lift weights. There has to have been a decent amount of atrophy on his upper body given the injury. That could also be a consideration for not wanting to wrestle a weight higher than his natural weight. Why risk injury for an event that is effectively meaningless to his future, since he already has a gold medal?

Teasdale is going at 113 this year in PIAA.

Calling him "bigger than" Lee, is incorrect.

As of right now, it's difficult to see either kid, going anywhere other than 125 in college.

I don't think Teasdale will ever see 125 in college. He is in fact bigger than Lee right now. Not only have both boys confirmed it publicly (refer to CP's latest podcast), you can see the size difference when they are together at Young Guns. Lee is a little shorter and has less muscle mass, partly due to his very recent injury.

Teasdale looks much bigger than Lee in this photo. I know it just the eye test but I would say Teasdale has to be a good bit heavier now. I doubt Lee is afraid of tougher competition. I think they wanted to be different weights and that's what's best for the both of them. I would imagine Lee wrestled 120 at PIAA because he didn't need to lose any weight since he could steamroll anybody at whatever weight he is at. I would think he could've made 113 with relative ease if he wanted to. World level competition is a little different so I think it's reasonable for him to cut a little weight.

image.jpeg

Edited by Eagle26

Teasdale made 115 a little over a month ago.  I'm sure he weighs more than Spencer right now, but if don't tell me it's significant/growth muscle gain.  Yes, eventually it will be, right now that is just too short a time span.

Lee has a right to go any weight he wishes to.  I'm sure making the JR World Team is his goal (although it was pointed out he could have easily wrestled 55 here to face Fix and then gone 50 at the trials to make the team if need be).

The Iowa & PA guys (of which I am one of) are bending over backwards here though to find justifications for this decision.  But if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

I've commented more than once in the past year that I'd like to see Spencer Lee beat someone at a big boy's weight before I'm ready to proclaim him a 4x NC & potential GOAT.  Not his fault, but still the competition is much, much thinner where he resides and dominance is not always assured when you move up.  Some can, but some stumble a bit.

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer...

Edited by rickybobby

Is Lee even lifting yet? I'm not talking about rehab exercises with rubber bands. Is he going to failure on large compound movements? I highly doubt he's going heavy, if lifting seriously at all.

Why would you risk re-injury on the body's most fragile joint, the shoulder, literally months after you were cleared to compete again? What's the rush? Why does he have to prove anything to anybody? So that six or seven posters on this forum can call him one of the top 3 best ever in HS as opposed to one of the top 10?

The entire premise that he's running from competition is totally ridiculous. The kid just started going live a few months ago after an extended lay-off. The best way to re-injure the shoulder is to have someone 12 lbs heaver than you sprawl on it.

Lee is one of the few HS kids I follow pretty closely, and I do not ever remember anyone even mentioning anything negative about his world title or his size until he committed to Iowa. It's like a switch flipped on 4/20/2016. Unbelievable.

Is Lee even lifting yet? I'm not talking about rehab exercises with rubber bands. Is he going to failure on large compound movements? I highly doubt he's going heavy, if lifting seriously at all.

Why would you risk re-injury on the body's most fragile joint, the shoulder, literally months after you were cleared to compete again? What's the rush? Why does he have to prove anything to anybody? So that six or seven posters on this forum can call him one of the top 3 best ever in HS as opposed to one of the top 10?

The entire premise that he's running from competition is totally ridiculous. The kid just started going live a few months ago after an extended lay-off. The best way to re-injure the shoulder is to have someone 12 lbs heaver than you sprawl on it.

Lee is one of the few HS kids I follow pretty closely, and I do not ever remember anyone even mentioning anything negative about his world title or his size until he committed to Iowa. It's like a switch flipped on 4/20/2016. Unbelievable.

Everything I said about his world title run recently is exactly what I would have said the day after it happened.