Sign in to follow this  
Threadkilla

Trivia: "He was content to lose by five"

Metcalf said it after the quarters his junior year.

Maybe even against Lance Palmer....??

I think it may have been the semi's against Palmer in 2009.  

Good call!  

"... I cannot be content to *win* by 4!"

Askren said it about Bradley from Iowa the year he went on to beat Gavin in the finals.  I think Gavin scored the only offensive points against Askren in that tournament too, got the first takedown. 

I think you mean Luedke.........He lost 8-3 to Askren and took 3rd in 2007.

Here's another gem:

“I would like to extend an apology to Darrion Caldwell, his family, the NCAA and the wrestling community for my actions in the NCAA title match. I certainly had no malicious intent. With five seconds left in the match, I was attempting to finish to the end, as I’ve always been trained to do. In a split second after the whistle, my momentum carried me into Darrion’s celebratory back flip. My reaction was a result of self defense and partly, frustration. I want to extend my congratulations to Darrion for his championship.”

good quote regarding former Dallas Cowboy Walt Garrison,as spoken by Don Meredith-  "if you need five yards, get the ball to Walt, he'll get ya five yards..... if you need twenty yards, get the ball to Walt, hell get ya five yards ........   Walt's grandson wrestled for St. Paris Graham....

Palmer nipped him the next year in B10 finals too.  

Metcalf being Metcalf.

In that final Palmer was content to flex, while smirking, to the crowd right in the middle of having Metcalf in a pinning combination. An absurd display while avenging the "content to lose by" comment. Metcalf had the last laugh though.

Another Palmer (Iowa's Bud) was quoted about his 1979 NCAA final vs. Lehigh's Mark Lieberman (who had 15 WBFs and 18-3 win entering the semis in a 21-0 sr yr): "He may beat me, but he's not going to pin me." And he didn't, although it's still the only WBDisg for stalling in NCAA finals history.

21guns, on 16 May 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:snapback.png

St John and Evans.

For 4 years.

This answer is incorrect, it was Askren against Luedke. Also, Taylor only wrestled St. John one year and Evans one year.

don't worry, facts are just something to be worked around for mr guns.