Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Bye to Finals

We don't have enough big events as it is. Why not make two events out of the qualification process, one to decide the challenger and another to determine the world rep? Part of MMA's popularity is the frequency of big events. They're up to UFC 200 in a few weeks, and the sport is very young.

Both events (if split) would be big draws, at least for online streaming. Just look at the traffic levels of themat.com. There are huge spikes maybe twice a year, one for conference championships, one for NCAAs. The system I propose can work well.

And more to the issue of fairness, it removes the substantial physical advantage afforded the #1 guy. I am all for advantages, but not physical advantages. I've spouted off ad nauseum about this in the past so I won't say more about that, other than, it is not a fair contest the way it's done right now.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Is there any hard evidence that wrestlers perform less well in the best-of-three finals when they go through the challenge tournament first? 

Also, I think giving returning world medalists a bye makes sense. Some of the reasons I think so have already been stated.

Another reason is this: If returning medalists go into the challenge tournament with everyone else, they will have a target on their back. Giving them a bye to the finals ensures that whoever beats them (if they get beat) did not specialize in only beating them. 

Edited by Katie

It is an unfair, second rate system. It says the US is so desperate for any crumb of success that it compromises the competitive integrity of the process. I say create a more balanced qualification process, the best person wins, and if we do not medal, so what? We are gunning for sixth place as it is. 

Edited by straggler

It is an unfair, second rate system. It says the US is so desperate for any crumb of success that it compromises the competitive integrity of the process. I say create a more balanced qualification process, the best person wins, and if we do not medal, so what? We are gunning for sixth place as it is. 

If you were a wrestling coach, would you pick your varsity squad based on who happened to win a single match on a particular day, or based on who you knew was better?

I think our system is pretty solid. The reason they get byes to the finals is because they have already proven that they are capable of obtaining a medal on the world stage. Why risk the possibility of your best guy getting stuck on a fluke in the quarters? I also firmly believe that this system sends our best guy about 90% of the time each year. With your logic of "A fresh Varner would have beat Snyder". I guess in the same breath you have to say a fresh Dake would have beat Burroughs. I'm a HUGE Dake fan, but I think we all know that it just doesn't work that way. It is a system that literally works as an advantage for our best guys and personally wouldn't have it any other way. A good example of this is the fact that Molinaro got a fluke win over Metcalf. Metcalf has straight up beat him 9/10 times but that one time just so happened to occur at the trials. Yes, Frank beat Brent but be honest when you say who you'd rather see rep us at the games between the 2. THAT is why we have this system.

Personally I'd rather have Pico.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

A bronze under the current system is far from a bronze of old. Get lucky enough to draw the champ in the first round, then wait for the wrestlebacks and win a couple tiebreakers and you're a medalist.  Easier said than done, but to get a bye through to the finals of the WTTs in a county with as much wrestling as the US is quite a reward.  Winning the worlds is something different.   

Regardless, mini-tourney winners should get one day to rest before wrestling off for the spot. 

A bronze under the current system is far from a bronze of old. Get lucky enough to draw the champ in the first round, then wait for the wrestlebacks and win a couple tiebreakers and you're a medalist.  Easier said than done, but to get a bye through to the finals of the WTTs in a county with as much wrestling as the US is quite a reward.  Winning the worlds is something different.   

Regardless, mini-tourney winners should get one day to rest before wrestling off for the spot. 

This makes tons of sense given how we have so many bronze medalists every year.  Tervel, Burroughs, Coleman, Varner, and Cormier are the last five that I can remember....Which of those was luck again?

It is unbelievable to me that people complain that it is not fair that Burroughs gets to sit out til the finals and Dake had to go up a weight because the system is unfair. Russia just gives the spot to Sadulaev and no one has a problem with that. We should definite favor the guys who are proven internationally to get the best team. Could you imagine if Burroughs had to wrestle the challenge tournament and got caught and pinned? Or someone just played defense the whole time and was somehow able to pull an upset like Marable. Or worse he got hurt?

Edited by Eagle26