Sign in to follow this  
stravo

Ramos

My bet is Scott is done and will focus on head coaching now. This move shows that.

This is a surprising hire to me. Obviously, Ramos is one of the best active guys available at any weight to become an assistant coach, but unless Scott plans on doing little to no wrestling with his guys, I don't understand the hire. Maybe it was one of those "best athlete available" hires (borrowing from an NFL draft term).

My bet is Scott is done and will focus on head coaching now. This move shows that.

This is a surprising hire to me. Obviously, Ramos is one of the best active guys available at any weight to become an assistant coach, but unless Scott plans on doing little to no wrestling with his guys, I don't understand the hire. Maybe it was one of those "best athlete available" hires (borrowing from an NFL draft term).

Exactly what you just said about, "best athlete available."  It also widens the recruiting base (Iowa and Illinois ties).  If you're 125-141, UNC is now one of the best training environments in the entire country (arguably it is the best).  Part of getting Ramos there has to be the fact that he'll be coached by an Olympic Bronze Medalist and have him as a training partner.  

If you're 125-141, UNC is now one of the best training environments in the entire country (arguably it is the best). Part of getting Ramos there has to be the fact that he'll be coached by an Olympic Bronze Medalist and have him as a training partner.

I think Iowa is the best room for lightweights and it's about to get even better with Lee and Teasdale. But I get your point.

I definitely see how the move makes a lot of sense for Ramos, just wasn't as obvious the other way. In any case it's great to see him progress to coaching. I always enjoyed watching Ramos complete, and I've wanted him to stay in the sport for as long as possible. He has his moments, but he has a refreshing honesty and straightforwardness about him that is rare and welcome at least to me.

I wish him the best at UNC. He'll be a huge asset to the program, that is for sure.

I think Iowa is the best room for lightweights and it's about to get even better with Lee and Teasdale. But I get your point.

Since Lee is a junior and Teasdale a sophomore I'm not sure "about" is the right word...and since Gilman and Clark will be gone by then I think it more evens out

That's a great hire for UNC.  Small head coaches still hire a lightweight coach just like Big head coaches still hire upper weight coaches.  And if I was looking to hire a lightweight coach I can't imagine doing much better than Ramos.  I also think that even though he and Scott came from rival programs and are very different in wrestling styles, they seem like a good personality match.  Scott is a very intense guy.  When UNC dualed OSU this year Scott was out of his mind trying to win.  You could see every OSU point hurt him.  There was absolutely no element of "I'm from a lower program and I'm just happy to be here against my old coach."  I think UNC made great strides under Coleman this year and this is another step in the right direction.  

Since Lee is a junior and Teasdale a sophomore I'm not sure "about" is the right word...and since Gilman and Clark will be gone by then I think it more evens out

Gilman and Clark will not be gone. They'll be training in Iowa the way so many Hawkeye national champs and AAs do after they graduate to vie for a world team spot. The room is only going to get better over the years. The loss of Ramos is huge but offset by the emergence of Dennis.

I simply said arguably because they have an olympic bronze medalist and former world team member both in competing shape as workout partners.  I do think Iowa has the best lightweight coaches given the track record of Terry/Tom Brands...Still, an argument could be made that the training partners at UNC (Ramos/Scott/Ward) are better (Dennis + Gilman + Clark + McD-is Mcd staying?).  Even if they are 2nd behind Iowa, as they probably are...We are talking about UNC, not a big time program.  The fact that they are even in such a discussion makes this hire so good.  

We can also thank Tony's wife and kid for uprooting their lives in IC and relocating to Chapel Hill. That's a big move!

If I asked my wife if she wanted to move from Michigan or Iowa in their case to NC she'd be all for it. Yes it probably was hard but when you compare Iowa winters to North Carolina winters that makes it a little easier.