Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Ramos - new atmosphere / future results

Many posters have said that they hoped Ramos and Metcalf could get new coaching and develop new technique/tactics. Now we have exactly that occurring... An Iowa guy in his prime with a perfect training partner to learn an array of new technique... Doubles from space, low singles, ankle picks, over ties, etc. My question is do you think Ramos will be able to implement this stuff and have improved results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many posters have said that they hoped Ramos and Metcalf could get new coaching and develop new technique/tactics. Now we have exactly that occurring... An Iowa guy in his prime with a perfect training partner to learn an array of new technique... Doubles from space, low singles, ankle picks, over ties, etc. My question is do you think Ramos will be able to implement this stuff and have improved results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so! Ramos is close to beInf elite. Hopefully the change takes him to the next level.

Ramos doesn't take shots because he can't recover or defend after he takes them, not a good enough athlete.  He is exposed and it is easy for opponents to capitalize.  To get better Ramos better be willing to take shots in high level matches which may result in some bad losses. 

In his run to an NCAA title he never shot. Most high level matches I watch = no shots.  Ramos was losing the entire first match to Dennis and still wouldn't take a shot.  2nd match - 1 shot attempt and not a full commitment to it. Ramos game is capitalize on your mistake because he isn't going to make any or take any risk.

Shooting against the average wrestler is not the same.

Ramos doesn't take shots because he can't recover or defend after he takes them, not a good enough athlete.  He is exposed and it is easy for opponents to capitalize.  To get better Ramos better be willing to take shots in high level matches which may result in some bad losses. 

In his run to an NCAA title he never shot. Most high level matches I watch = no shots.  Ramos was losing the entire first match to Dennis and still wouldn't take a shot.  2nd match - 1 shot attempt and not a full commitment to it. Ramos game is capitalize on your mistake because he isn't going to make any or take any risk.

Jordan Oliver would most definitely disagree that Ramos isn't a good enough athlete to take shots against elite competition:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/561384-133-jordan-oliver-osu-vs-tony-ramos-iowa

Coleman Scott would also disagree:

https://youtu.be/3oCffnsyIww?t=441

a shot is only as good as it's set up.

Bonne exposed the push-shove, push-shove, beat 'em up style for what it is:  deeply flawed for international wrestling as it now is.  Perhaps Scott can be the influence needed to push Ramos to a new level of preparation and technical competence for current international freestyle, not what worked 15-20 years ago.