Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

University of Louisville

Whatever happened with their thought on starting a wrestling program or other sports that was brought up on this board some time back? Obviously wrestling didn't make it, but did other sports become added to their athletics program? Did they have a change in leadership?

I think Jurich's hands are tied when it comes to adding a new sport at L'ville unless they move conferences again.  Adding wrestling means UL would also have to add a new women's sport, due to Title IX, but the school already competes in all of the ACC's womens' sports.  At this point in his career, Jurich is on cruise control anyway and I wouldn't expect any big changes to the athletics program anytime soon.

I think Jurich's hands are tied when it comes to adding a new sport at L'ville unless they move conferences again.  Adding wrestling means UL would also have to add a new women's sport, due to Title IX, but the school already competes in all of the ACC's womens' sports.  At this point in his career, Jurich is on cruise control anyway and I wouldn't expect any big changes to the athletics program anytime soon.

Having to add a new women's sport is not an accurate statement. There are three ways to satisfy Title IX, proportionality being one of three.

Thanks, folks.

I remember seeing the figures here, but would someone please remind me how much a new program in DI would cost, especially if it is being endowed. I don't necessarily mean to the point of behemoths such as Iowa or Penn State, but in order to become a competitive (annual top 15-20) team in short order.

From listening to one of the episodes of takedown wrestling NWCA is the way to go if your going to add a wrestling program. Your not going to get the D1 studs but most of the kids wrestling are going to be at the same level so you'll get to watch competitive wrestling. Also it's a great way to get your feet wet and maybe show your school that your deserving enough to have a varsity program. Since it's a club you can still get funding from the school and Title IX is a non factor.   

From listening to one of the episodes of takedown wrestling NWCA is the way to go if your going to add a wrestling program. Your not going to get the D1 studs but most of the kids wrestling are going to be at the same level so you'll get to watch competitive wrestling. Also it's a great way to get your feet wet and maybe show your school that your deserving enough to have a varsity program. Since it's a club you can still get funding from the school and Title IX is a non factor.

You mean NCWA.

NCWA - National Collegiate Wrestling Association

NWCA - National Wrestling Coaches Association.

You mean NCWA.

NCWA - National Collegiate Wrestling Association

NWCA - National Wrestling Coaches Association.

Yes that that is what I mean I hear NWCA much more than NCWA so it just came naturally.

But adding a women's sport is an easy and common practice. 

I don't know exactly how it works, but if what Forbes is reporting as a 51%-49% female to male split at the university, not to mention that women currently have 12 athletic team opportunities at Louisville, while men have nine, I'd think that adding a male sport could be possible. Again, I may not truly understand the Title IX rules, so I am presuming.

Current Louisville data on Title IX proportionality.

Number of Full-time Undergraduates: 12,364

Men: 5,936 (48%)

Women: 6,428 (52%)

Total Athletic Participants: 703

Men: 366 (52%)

Women: 337 (48%)

*Total Athletic Aid: $10,028,722

Men: $5,006,714 (50%)

Women: $5,022,008 (%50)

*Scholarships

Total Expenses for Men's and Women's Teams: $59,155,022

Men: $42,987,100 (73%)

Women: $16,167,922 (27%)

Long story short, Louisville is not likely to be adding any sports, especially not any for men. Especially since they just gave their basketball coach a new contract worth $52MM just two months after having a post season ban for recruiting violations.

As to the articles about the possible addition of a new sport that came out a few years ago, I think Louisville was exploring the addition of Lacrosse upon the recommendation of the ACC which they had just joined at the time.

While the ACC is a small Lax conference, in the last eight years the current conference members claimed six National Championships and three runner-up finishes. And that isn't even including Maryland's finishes since they were in the ACC until just recently.