CoachWrestling

10 point tech rule, is it enough?

I think not.. I've said it before. Given that a takedown is two and there are unlimited points awarded for multiple guts and laces, it ends matches too quickly. If you go TD-Turn 2x TD-Turn it's over. Back when a TD was one point that would be 8-0 and someone would need another TD and turn or another two TD's to get to 10-0 and back when a TF was 15 points.

Many solid US wrestlers have got to get better at maintaining good freestlye positioning as they are going to the mat. When they fall into a position which allows for a good top wrestlers to easily transition to a lace or trap arm its game over.

Even if it's 12 or 15 a good top wrestler will still secure the hold if the bottom guy isn't aware of his position and the match will stillend it in just one or two sequences.

Edited by MadMardigain

look at what lamont did to terao today... was down 7-0 in the second... one takedown and a few guts later, won the match 17-7...

10pts seems just fine to me

That's anecdotal though.

It used to be 6 for the round....not sure why we are still complaining.

Just because the rules used to suck and are now better doesn't mean there still aren't possible improvements. 
Edited by CoachWrestling

There should be no such thing as a Technical Fall. Wrestle the full time and for a pin. This baloney with multiple leg laces as Burroughs did in the trials is a farce. A guy gets 'on a roll' and the match is over?

Make them wrestle and you would see some major blowouts as well as some surprising comebacks. If you want dominance, pin the opponent.

Pins don't always come by the better wrestler either.  Want to win? Don't get pinned.  Want to win?  Don't get down by 10.

Very rare is the case that anyone will get down by 10 and win.  With the gigantic youth tournaments and the short-rest international-style tournaments, I think it's a nice built-in advantage for dominant wrestlers and it's a nice way to keep fans engaged.  As soon as a match is getting out of hand...it's done.  No waiting out the final 2 minutes of a blowout where no one's trying any more.

Edited by maligned

Sorry, but watching Burroughs get the quick rollovers and end the match at the trials - it looked like a bad joke.

A good demonstration of why I don't think 10 is enough tho would prefer no TechFall at all.

Again...is a pin then also a bad joke? It also comes quickly from dominant wrestlers.

^this... he didn't just fall into either... he fished for it, got it, ended the match... very impressive 

JB has actually improved over the years, which, is a scary thought for anyone who has to wrestle him

10-12 points seems about right. The fun thing about freestyle tournaments is the cadence of matches. They go through the brackets fast!  I like how the 10-point tech motivates competitors to crank things up and "sprint" through the match, go for the TS and move on as quickly as possible.

If the technical superiority didn't exist (or if it was way too high), you wouldn't see blowouts; you'd see wrestlers sit on a lead, counter-wrestle only and try to expend as little energy as possible to advance. Boring.