OldGrappler

Team Foxcatcher (new documentary) now on Neflix

I watched this yesterday and enjoyed it much more than the professional actor version, or even the Prince of Pennsylvania 30 for 30 version. 

This one is entirely clips of life at Foxcatcher, and interviews with Strobel, Humphries, Jackson, and and others.....especially Nancy Schultz.... who were there at the time.   It's much more of a wrestling insider's version.  

I recommend it. 

Is the hidden story of Foxcatcher about a man who was afraid to develop a life outside of being a competitive wrestler?

Nope.

It's about unsupported athletes holding onto a dream that some nutjob had supported, despite the risks of being associated with said nutjob. 

I don't know about everyone else but I am about Foxcatchered out! The movie was not good.  Did not  helped our sport in any way.  Any person I know that saw the movie made sure to tell me that they saw it and that it was not any good.  Both documentaries are way better but the only reason I watch them is because I am a wrestling guy.  A non wrestler does not watch either documentary.  The movie wasn't that interesting and this story doesn't warrant 6 + hrs of your life.  The Theatrical movie has ruined the story for me.

Something I did hear in all 3 that I can't stand is the suggestion that our sport is low class or that only lower class of income can participate.  I don't care who thought it or thinks that wrestling is low class.  I would just prefer these words not being said on any platform about wrestling. 

I watched the Netflix documentary last night with my wife. I thought it was very well done.

The most poignant moment may have been when Danielle Schultz spoke about when she learned about DuPont's passing.

The 30 for 30 was pretty good too but I thought this one was better.

I wouldn't be surprised if people watch the Netflix documentary who have never seen the Hollywood film.

I watched it last night.  It focused more on the whole team rather than just Dave.

I liked that Netflix showed interviews with more wrestlers.  My wife (not a wrestling fan)not paying attention at all when it started and was about to do her own thing, but she got sucked in and was engrossed by the story.

IMO, about the same as 30 for 30, which I thought was good, but there is not enough difference between the two documentaries and the movie that you would really need to see all three.

​

I have never had any desire to see the feature film;  I know the story, and the pain of those who I care about who were very close to it, and have no interest in seeing it "dramatized".  I did watch the Netflix documentary after seeing this post, and thought it did a great job on a number of fronts.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't know about everyone else but I am about Foxcatchered out! The movie was not good.  Did not  helped our sport in any way.  Any person I know that saw the movie made sure to tell me that they saw it and that it was not any good.  Both documentaries are way better but the only reason I watch them is because I am a wrestling guy.  A non wrestler does not watch either documentary.  The movie wasn't that interesting and this story doesn't warrant 6 + hrs of your life.  The Theatrical movie has ruined the story for me.

Something I did hear in all 3 that I can't stand is the suggestion that our sport is low class or that only lower class of income can participate.  I don't care who thought it or thinks that wrestling is low class.  I would just prefer these words not being said on any platform about wrestling. 

Or maybe everyone you know that saw the movie has really bad taste in movies?

Stylistically, it might not be for you but that doesn't mean it's not any good. Perhaps you're more of a Fast and the Furious type of movie goer. The film was well done and the acting wasn't anything to scoff at. 

The biggest thing I notice was that while Mark was the focal point of the movie and featured in 30for30, he was nowhere to be found in Nancy's project.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

i think mark and dave were rarely there at the same time.

Really felt for Monday when he was talking about being hurt that others didn't leave after DuPont kicked out all the black athletes. 

Also, interesting to hear more of Chaid's story, and his shock at anyone staying after DuPont pulled a gun on him.

Blue collar would be a more appropriate re-framing then low-class.  You don't need much money to wrestle, and there is no amount of money you can pay to be great at wrestling (regardless of how many guys Dupont paid off to pin). There are very few of the 'base' sports where you can tout being the best at something that all animals engage in instinctively: wrestling, running, swimming, climbing, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think in each film the reference to wrestling being 'low-class' was in regards to how DuPont's mother felt about the sport.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Low-class, in that context, would simply mean less dignified and refined. No one is saying that is accurate as wrestling is a pursuit at some of the most elite prep-schools as well as in higher education (Ivies, UAA, Centennial, etc). It was merely important to paint the picture of how an 'old money' family viewed a sport in which they had little experience with and how it could lead to John being even more insular as his community of peers and family did not share or understand his interest.

Yes they were talking about what DuPont's mother thought but it still bugs the crap out of me.  I understand wrestling is a blue collar / white collar / any collar type of sport.  Just quick to be defensive of the sport and worry how non wrestling types would view after watching. 

As far as the theatrical film - not worth watching twice. 

#PaulWalkerForever

i think mark and dave were rarely there at the same time.

I think you are right, but he wasn't even interviewed for commentary. I was expecting to hear from him since I was under the impression that Mark and Nancy had repaired their relationship.

Asked Nancy directly about this on the latest Short Time podcast.

It's pretty early in the interview

http://www.mattalkonline.com/257

Just watched Team Foxcatcher (5 stars) and then listened to the podcast (awesome companion piece, well done).

Thoughtful treatments of a so very still disturbing, heartbreaking event. So well done that I'm reluctant to (pollute the record?) watch the ESPN piece or see the movie. Eventually maybe.