Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Tsirtsis' last year - 2 questions

First as a frosh, third as a soph., followed by significant dropoff with some uncharacteristic losses this past season.

1.  We know he's had significant personal losses, as well as coaching turmoil. Even without these issues, would this weight class have passed him by anyways? Was he just the beneficiary of a weak weight-class in 2014 and 2015?

2. He's always been neck-and-neck with Sorenson, but Retherford and Pantaleo now seem to have his number. Can a year of physical and emotional recovery get him back in the title hunt?

Obviously, we can't know the answers to these questions - just curious what others opinions and predictions are.

He's never going to win another title at 149. I called it from the time Retherford moved up.

If he wants to win again he'll have to move down to 141 where he in my opinion would be a title contender. The question is can he? 

Although I still have a hard time seeing a 100% Tsirtsis beating Retherford last season, last season's version was so far below 100% it's really hard to give a truly definitive answer.  He suffered a "perfect storm" of injuries and personal tragedies that made me truly surprised that he even competed last season(would he have been eligible for an Olympic Redshirt?)

The beginning of this upcoming season should be very telling.  Will he be fully invigorated and ready to go out with a bang?  Or, will he be burnt out and doing what he has to do to get his diploma and move on?

Edited by MSU158

I think he has a chance to make the finals if he comes back healthy and in the right frame of mind. He can't beat Zain, but everyone else seems within reach. He will need to change the way he wrestles if he wants to achieve this, I think. He has shown the ability to attack and score on good wrestlers when he has to. The trick will be convincing himself to pull the trigger more often and not settle for one point wins or tiebreaker ride outs. 

Was nice to see a lot of Iowa fans pulling for him at Big Tens. Some 80 year-old lady in Hawkeye gear pulled me (in my NW tshirt) aside at the concession stand to ask how Tsirtsis had done and seemed geniunely heartbroken for him.

He suffered a "perfect storm" of injuries and personal tragedies that made me truly surprised that he even competed last season(would he have been eligible for an Olympic Redshirt?)

Yes, he did meet requirements for an ORS last year.

Which is way I suggest a drop in weight. He has a 0% chance at 149 and 157 but at least a 40-50% chance at 141. 

IMO those are even long odds at 141...7 returning AA from this year, plus Jack, Gross etc. No one like Zain at 141, but will have to win 3-4 really tough matches at NCAAs to pull it off.

... a champ and a 3rd, and a "beneficiary" of a weak weight????  you're kidding.......  i'd say he is one bad dude that has placed 2 of 3 tourney's- - - pretty good in the DI meat grinder.......

You're right - all weight classes are exactly equal every year.

Edited by Fletcher

... a champ and a 3rd, and a "beneficiary" of a weak weight????  you're kidding.......  i'd say he is one bad dude that has placed 2 of 3 tourney's- - - pretty good in the DI meat grinder.......

I have to agree with this sentiment. The guy has already proven that he is among the elite in the sport and I don't see why anyone would count him out if he is back at 100%, which he was not even close to this past season.

At a glance, 141 looks like a huge cut for him given his build. He can probably make the cut but at the expense of his gas tank.

He'd have to lose some muscle for sure. It's kind of the antithesis of wrestling logic but in this case if he want's a second title he'll have to "think outside the box" cause he's not getting another one at 149.

I believe he's top 3 at 149 but the distance between 1 and 2 is huge. 

Zebra,

Agreed on 149 or whatever weight class he chooses to wrestle. Zain is an animal!! I watched him TF mastriani in a matter of minutes.

Tsirtis nor anyone is beating him unless he is sick, injured or gets out of position and gets stuck.

He should AA at 141 but even that is no gimme. Heil, Jack, McKenna, Meredith and chiscko would all give him fits.

Zebra,

Agreed on 149 or whatever weight class he chooses to wrestle. Zain is an animal!! I watched him TF mastriani in a matter of minutes.

Tsirtis nor anyone is beating him unless he is sick, injured or gets out of position and gets stuck.

He should AA at 141 but even that is no gimme. Heil, Jack, McKenna, Meredith and chiscko would all give him fits.

With Tsirtsis' style of wresting, I see him having 2-1 matches with all those guys. Which one has the 2 is a crapshoot.

I want Tsirtsis to take another crack at Retherford, though, just to (hopefully) prove their last match was not a fair measure of how they stack up against each other.

Zebra,

Zain vs iMar would be fun. I think iMar takes it.

I hope to see Tsirtsis make a nice comeback next season.  He has had some great accomplishments.  He dealt with a lot last year.  He might also be burnt out?  His attacks were slow last year when he did attack and he seem to have only one go to move.  The main difference was he was unable to ride top opponents as he had in the past.