Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Preliminary entries are in for Turkey last-chance qualifier

Preliminary entries are now listed on the UWW site for this weekend's last-chance qualifier.

It looks like most weights have a few more nations entered than were entered in Mongolia.  This is as expected with the quick turnaround time for Mongolia for the European nations after their continental qualifier--and with the easier flight itineraries and travel schedules to Turkey for many wrestling nations in general.

It seems like most real threats for Olympic qualification have their same top guys entered in the weights we care about.  

Freestyle 65kg does seem to be the weight that has ballooned the most in terms of additional entries compared to Mongolia.  This doesn't necessarily make it more difficult since it is well-documented that individuals from Top 10 wrestling nations win upwards of 95% of matches over anyone not from a genuine top 25 or top 30 full-lineup freestyle nation. In fact, there will probably be only about 1/3 of the 36 or 38 entries that an American wouldn't be favored to pin or tech. It could make for an easy path to the semi's or finals for a guy like Molinaro if many of the "fluff" nations get lumped together in a quarter or half with him. Let's hope they do!

Nations submitted several entries a while ago.  Also, this list is very poor, as I see some countries there who have already qualified.

The lists were very accurate in Mongolia with the only fault being the non-removal of recently qualified nations. I expect it to be the same for this list.

I see that the US has Frank Molinaro registered at 65kg along with Mark Allen McKnight. What's up with that?

Just a guess - Frank brought McKnight as his workout partner, so they put him on the list as an alternate.

Big Penn State fan here, but i just don't like Frank's chances.  Some are hoping for the other top guys to get lumped together, and for Fran to have a clear path to the final   Not me.   I'd like to see it spread out evenly, and may the best guy reach the final.   Of course I'll be pulling for molinaro.    My gut says this is the end of the road for USA at 65 kg.  

I re-call several entries for certain countries in the Mongolia lists.  Wait until weigh ins and then you'll get "the list".

Yes, I only meant to say there aren't errors, per se, on the preliminary list other than leaving in the Mongolia-qualified nations.  Some nations have multiple entrants listed preliminarily at certain weights, but it's sure their participant is one of those listed.

Edited by maligned