Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Turkey Olympic Qualifier: Day 1 (Greco) draw and discussion

The question is will Soryan show up in the final ? He has no reason to do that, it's not like he misses this gold medal in his career. he was exhausted in Mongolia two weeks ago

but if he shows up that will be a great match, Thielke was great throughout the day

what are the circumstances that have Soryan being in the last chance qualifier to begin with? seems like he/his country would have qualified the spot prior.

He's been disqualified unfairly in Vegas WC. After that he spend worst 3 month of all his career and lost in Asia Qualifying to Japan, and in first OG World Qualifying to Angelov(BUL). Today he showed that back in his common shape again.

I realize he didn't beat the greatest competition of all time but Thielke, going through that bracket and the way he did it is something that he can definitely build on. Behind in a couple of matches, finding a way to get it done and wrestling much, much better than he did two weeks ago, you can see definite improvement in his skills. Also, you may not be able to tell by the number of people we have going to the Olympics, but I think the overall skill level of our Greco guys is much better under Lindland than it was in the past. IMO

I agree with earlier posters. Had Perkins wrestled the way he did in Mongolia, he would have qualified. Even his wins today he didn't seem to be as sharp as he was then. But I think the future looks pretty decent with him and Pat Smith at that weight.

He's been disqualified unfairly in Vegas WC. After that he spend worst 3 month of all his career and lost in Asia Qualifying to Japan, and in first OG World Qualifying to Angelov(BUL). Today he showed that back in his common shape again.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Not only was his disqualification warranted, he could have been disqualified for the first head butt. Two of the more blatant intentional headbutts I've ever seen. He was mad at the Azeri wrestler and intentionally head-butted him, was penalized two points and warned, and then did it again. The referee did not hesitate and it was quickly confirmed by the judge and chair. It looked like he was giving people the Dublin kiss in a bar in Ireland after a few pints of Guinness.

Where was Chunayev before this?  I'm surprised it took Azerbaijan this long to qualify.

They underperformed then their normal 66kg Aliyev, also a world champ, missed weight in Mongolia and so they couldn't even compete.

I realize he didn't beat the greatest competition of all time but Thielke, going through that bracket and the way he did it is something that he can definitely build on. Behind in a couple of matches, finding a way to get it done and wrestling much, much better than he did two weeks ago, you can see definite improvement in his skills. Also, you may not be able to tell by the number of people we have going to the Olympics, but I think the overall skill level of our Greco guys is much better under Lindland than it was in the past. IMO

First round win was against a 2012 Olympic and 2013 world medalist.  Second round was against a 2012 Olympic medalist.  Third round he beat the Swede who earlier in the day beat the world champ from a couple years ago (the same guy who beat Soryen 2 weeks ago).  This was the best weight class of any of the 18 this weekend and Thielke came through the toughest section of that toughest weight class.  Margins are razor thin in greco between many of the top guys...this was as strong of competition as many of the Olympic competitors he'll see.  

First round win was against a 2012 Olympic and 2013 world medalist.  Second round was against a 2012 Olympic medalist.  Third round he beat the Swede who earlier in the day beat the world champ from a couple years ago (the same guy who beat Soryen 2 weeks ago).  This was the best weight class of any of the 18 this weekend and Thielke came through the toughest section of that toughest weight class.  Margins are razor thin in greco between many of the top guys...this was as strong of competition as many of the Olympic competitors he'll see.

Oh I think he wrestled great. I was saying that it was not the greatest competition before somebody jumped down my throat for saying how well he performed. No doubt it was the toughest weight classes there. Couldn't be more excited for his future.

Chuanyev had some favorable calls twice against Belarus and Poland, he shouldn't even be in the final in first place. his throws are always magnificent but only this doesn't make him a great wrestler

Favorable is being nice. Twice the Polish wrestler was warned for passivity and put down and I'm still trying to figure out what match the referee was watching. He was completely the aggressor the entire time while the dance man didn't do anything. But, once he got a big throw, the match effectively over. Another example of officials basically deciding the outcome of the match.

Favorable is being nice. Twice the Polish wrestler was warned for passivity and put down and I'm still trying to figure out what match the referee was watching. He was completely the aggressor the entire time while the dance man didn't do anything. But, once he got a big throw, the match effectively over. Another example of officials basically deciding the outcome of the match.

yes you are right, actually I just didn't want to disappoint his fans here, it was robbery to me, The Polish guy didn't deserve the caution. he had the match on his pocket without that caution. but well strange things happen in officiating when certain wrestlers from certain countries are on the mat.

You are acting like the guy from Poland was lighting up the scoreboard. I was also surprised when the Pole got hit in the 2nd period. But that's the way it goes.

It's silly to say chunayev is not a very good wrestler.

You are acting like the guy from Poland was lighting up the scoreboard. I was also surprised when the Pole got hit in the 2nd period. But that's the way it goes.

It's silly to say chunayev is not a very good wrestler.

I agree, it's silly to say a world champion is not a great wrestler.