ArmDrag14

J'Den Cox J'den Cox J'Den cox.

Help me understand the last TD.  J'Den clearly stepped out of bounds as he spun behind.  Is that OK?   Just trying to understand the rules.

I think this rule apply in this case, what do you think?

When the attacking wrestler is the first to step into the protection area in the commission of a hold, the following may occur:

. If the wrestler completes the hold successfully in a continuous action, he shall be awarded the requisite points--1, 2, 4 or 5 points.

207 in shoes and clothes is about 203.  203 to 189 is not that hard with night before weigh ins.  I bet I could drop 14 lbs by tomorrow and still sit on the couch just as effectively.  If a guy that size can't drop 14 lbs he isn't doing it right.  Weight has not looked like even a slight issue at OTTs or Mongolia.  

When Cox was down to weight in the Trials and Mongolia he did not show conditioning issues, or other weaknesses that would indicate the weight cut negatively impacted his performance.  To the contrary, he demonstrated resolve in close, end of the match situations despite limited freestyle experience.  I think it's safe to assume that his excellence in this match was primarily due to a natural (earned through hard work) development/evolution as a raw freestyle wrestler, rather than a few pounds over his opponent.

Sure we can't take for granted that the weight cut will be a cinch, but I'm very excited to see how much better he performs during the World Cup.  His natural freestyle skills (eg defensive positioning) gave him a huge head start and the leg attacks already look much crisper than during the World Team Trials.

Dake better frame that match he won over Cox because it may be the last time before an American beats him for a very long time. I mean at 213 he would be right there with Varner and Snyder. I expect the future Dake matches to be techs.

Edited by PRyan2012

Cox said in an inteview on Flo that he weighs about 197 and can get down to 189 in an hour just by wrestling. 

That said, I doubt his clothe and shoes weigh 10 pounds!

Yup, he claims the cut isn't an issue.  I think we can probably take him at his word unless he shows signs otherwise.

207 in shoes and clothes is about 203.  203 to 189 is not that hard with night before weigh ins.  I bet I could drop 14 lbs by tomorrow and still sit on the couch just as effectively.  If a guy that size can't drop 14 lbs he isn't doing it right.  Weight has not looked like even a slight issue at OTTs or Mongolia.  

Regardless if he can manage his  weight cut well, this win should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, Cox went big brother on the #10 ranked Iranian, but Cox was 20lb over weight, and the Iranian isn't in peak condition right now and isn't even training to compete at a high level anytime soon. 

I don't think he made contact out of bounds with the mat. He jumped and spun behind. Excellent mat awareness resulted in a td call (rightfully so)

Perry, he most definitely did put his foot on mat out of bounds.

But Axe's explanation is good for me! Thank you!

Regardless if he can manage his  weight cut well, this win should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, Cox went big brother on the #10 ranked Iranian, but Cox was 20lb over weight, and the Iranian isn't in peak condition right now and isn't even training to compete at a high level anytime soon. 

Grain of salt? I'm not even american and I don't think a victory over Joukar should be taken with a grain of salt. The difference between them was 7 pounds, almost nothing, it was not like Cox was 20 pounds heavier than the iranian.

Grain of salt? I'm not even american and I don't think a victory over Joukar should be taken with a grain of salt. The difference between them was 7 pounds, almost nothing, it was not like Cox was 20 pounds heavier than the iranian.

When Cox beats that guy with them both down to weight, and both in World Championship shape, then I'll be impressed. How many times have we seen Americans beat big name opponents up a weight, or in the winter/spring, only to produce 0 results when it counts? 

Didn't James Green beat, or at least go the distance, with Chamizo in 2015? Based on that one  win, one could have predicted that Green would be the USA 65kg rep in Rio. 

When Cox beats that guy with them both down to weight, and both in World Championship shape, then I'll be impressed. How many times have we seen Americans beat big name opponents up a weight, or in the winter/spring, only to produce 0 results when it counts? 

Didn't James Green beat, or at least go the distance, with Chamizo in 2015? Based on that one  win, one could have predicted that Green would be the USA 65kg rep in Rio. 

I agree with you that the US wrestlers tend to beat the bigger names when it doesn't matter. Metcalf is a great example of that.  

James Green does have a World Medal though.  

Didn't James Green beat, or at least go the distance, with Chamizo in 2015? Based on that one win, one could have predicted that Green would be the USA 65kg rep in Rio.

I see your point but I still think it was an impressive showing by Cox in beating a high level opponent like Joukar leaving no doubt who was the better man (a thing Green was not able to do against Chamizo). 3 more months and we will see how that win translates in Rio. Edited by Axe_Spartan