pamela

Turkey Olympic Qualifier: Day 3 (MFS) draw and discussion

What do you all honk about Tank's draw? He might have he home crowd in his first match vs. Safaryan (ARM). I see he could have Boris Novachkov in the quarters. Did David Habat get a better draw? How about Dylan Palacio?

Edited by pamela

Welcome to the party. Frank gets a former World champ right out of the gate. Hey, everyone knew this is no cakewalk, and he might meet up with Safaryan somewhere in this bracket, so he might as well get him fresh. Should be fun.

Garcia on the other side of bracket.

If Molinaro can win his first round he has winnable matches the rest of the way.  The top half of this bracket, particularly the top quarter is a joke.

Yeah his matches are winnable, but it could not possibly be a mor unbalanced draw. I'd literally pick 7 guys from the bottom half to win the top half if they were there.

What a nightmare draw.  I think he should beat Safaryan...Safaryan looked awful last week, but maybe being at home will give him more energy.  Novakchov is probably the favorite of that half of the bracket, so it will be a slight upset if he gets through him.  

Is Habat the favorite on that top half, or am I missing something?

Edited by Billyhoyle

Aaron Pico has beaten Safaryan 8-5 in 2014. Then Frank has a chance...

Here's the video of them at flowrestling.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/754170-65kg-finals-aaron-pico-usa-vs-david-safaryan-arm

i'm sure USA wrestling fans would feel much more comfortable having Pico wrestling tomorrow than Tank. Me included.

Let's GO!

What a nightmare draw.  I think he should beat Safaryan...Safaryan looked awful last week, but maybe being at home will give him more energy.  Novakchov is probably the favorite of that half of the bracket, so it will be a slight upset if he gets through him.  

Is Habat the favorite on that top half, or am I missing something?

At home ? Safaryan is from Armenia, the exact enemy of Turkey !

Novachkov is probably already qualified, assuming they will disqualify the Ukrainian doped wrestler who qualified in Euro qualifier, his quota goes to Georgia and the quota Georgia won in Mongolia goes to Novachkov as 4th placer. that's a bit confusing though.

Novachkov is probably already qualified, assuming they will disqualify the Ukrainian doped wrestler who qualified in Euro qualifier, his quota goes to Georgia and the quota Georgia won in Mongolia goes to Novachkov as 4th placer. that's a bit confusing though.

If Novachkov makes the finals will they qualify the 3rd place finisher here?

I thought he was turkish for some reason.  Woops.

Edited by Billyhoyle

If you want a reason to be optimistic for Tank, just check out the UWW Database. Safaryan hasn't done a heck of a lot since he won the worlds in 2013. Maybe he's been saving it all up for this tournament, but why would he do that? He basically hasn't placed in the last two world tournaments and of the many senior level events he entered since 2013, he hasn't done very well at all against top competition. Based on what I see from the overall pattern and having watched the match, I would say that Pico beat a very diminished Safaryan as opposed to a guy capable of winning the worlds. 

65 kg, 125 kg and FW 58 kg all tested positive for Meldonium after the Euro qualifier.

Was this officially announced?

I thought there were a slew of people that got hit for meldonium, then later exonerated, because they had not taken it after the ban.

Aaron Pico has beaten Safaryan 8-5 in 2014. Then Frank has a chance...

Here's the video of them at flowrestling.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/754170-65kg-finals-aaron-pico-usa-vs-david-safaryan-arm

Frank definitely has a chance, but it isn't because Aaron Pico beat him.   Frank has a shot at it because he's there and hes tough.   But just because Pico beat him, does not mean Frank has a shot in hell at beating him.   His shot at wining stands on its own, with nothgin tot do with Pico

That said, USa is going to have a VERY difficult time qualifying this weight, without Pico or Steiber out there.   I doj't like Frank's chances here at all.