Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

There will be Lawyers

I won't pretend to understand the rules that apply to the current situation at 65KG and if they will somehow allow Molinaro to compete in Rio.  But I do know this:

1. If there is any wiggle room in the interpretation of the rules, the anti-American sentiment across the world will not help Frank's chances.

2. There will be lawyers.

I hope there is a resolution quickly.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Our 65kg weight class didn't qualify... plain and simple.  Lick your wounds, and GET BETTER.  The top 8-10 at 65kg should be doing EVERYTHING they can over the next four years to get back on top.  Nothing speaks louder for character development than adversity, and this is an adverse situation for the USA.  Make us proud boys.  Turn it up a notch.  Get more and more international exposure and experience.  Take a year and disappear in the rooms of Russia, Southeast Asia, etc.  Learn different ethnic styles that assist you in developing your overall game.  

Mark my words... 2020 will be MUCH different for the USA... IF our guys commit to not just trying to take each other out, but instead, taking the rest of the world out.  

From the UWW website:

F. REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUOTA PLACES

REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUALIFICATION PLACES

If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC, the quota place will be reallocated in the same weight category to the NOC of the next best ranked athlete, not yet qualified, in the qualification event where the quota place was obtained, and respecting the maximum quota of one (1) athlete per NOC per event.

--------

If I interpret the above correctly:

EU #2 (UKR) not recognized. Goes to bronze who lost to UKR (GEO)

Last chance #1 silver GEO already qualified due to EU event. Spot reallocated to bronze who lost to GEO (BUL).

Last chance #2 winner BUL already qualified due to LC#1 event. Spot reallocated to bronze who lost to BUL (USA).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

From the UWW website:

F. REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUOTA PLACES

REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUALIFICATION PLACES

If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC, the quota place will be reallocated in the same weight category to the NOC of the next best ranked athlete, not yet qualified, in the qualification event where the quota place was obtained, and respecting the maximum quota of one (1) athlete per NOC per event.

--------

If I interpret the above correctly:

EU #2 (UKR) not recognized. Goes to bronze who lost to UKR (GEO)

Last chance #1 silver GEO already qualified due to EU event. Spot reallocated to bronze who lost to GEO (BUL).

Last chance #2 winner BUL already qualified due to LC#1 event. Spot reallocated to bronze who lost to BUL (USA).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It says "next best ranked" and "not yet qualified" and "qualification event where the quota place was obtained."  That means they stay back at the Euro qualifier to find the substitute.  One bronze is already qualified (Georgia).  The other is not: Safaryan of Armenia.  I definitely read this to mean it will go to him.

It says "next best ranked" and "not yet qualified" and "qualification event where the quota place was obtained." That means they stay back at the Euro qualifier to find the substitute. One bronze is already qualified (Georgia). The other is not: Safaryan of Armenia. I definitely read this to mean it will go to him.

What about this line?

and respecting the maximum quota of one (1) athlete per NOC per event.

What about this line?

and respecting the maximum quota of one (1) athlete per NOC per event.

You're obviously screwing with me...but in all seriousness, the three conditions I quoted seem to mean they just take the highest unqualified place from the euro event.

The UWW rule could require that the licenses be reset to the position they were in before the Euro Olympic qualifier.

At the time when Ukraine was in violation of WADA rules, Georgia  had not yet qualified 

With the Ukraine rep booted, the qualifiers from that tournament are Poland and Georgia. 

Moving forward to the Mongolian qualifier, now that Georgia is already in, the 65 kilo qualifiers become Batirov, Turkey and Novachkov.

Then at Turkey, Since Novachkov is already in, the bronze medalist on his side should move up, i.e. Molinaro 

Edited by superfluidity

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/qualification_system_a.pdf

With regard to pjm46's question -- I don't know what NOC stands for exactly, but it is clear from the document that it refers to a country's governing body (ours is USA Wrestling, for example).

So that line doesn't say anything that we didn't already know -- each country sends one delegate.

Come on people take off the wishing glasses. It goes back to the event where the spot was qualified. It goes to the highest ranked person who did not qualify as long as that person doesn't make more than one person per country ie the country didn't send someone else to a later qualifier and then qualify for the Olympics. The guy from Armenia, if the Ukrainians are ineligible, will get the spot. He is the highest-ranked wrestler at the European qualification tournament who did not qualify for the Olympics. The Georgian qualified in Mongolia . I don't know what they would do if neither bronze metal country qualified as they're both ranked third at that tournament but in this case it doesn't matter.

I think Frank M made that decision.  By not making it to the finals this weekend, he didn't qualify.  Simple as that.  Remember, it is not the person that qualifies but the country.  So a qualified country gets the spot and I have a difficult time seeing that a country wouldn't send their #2 if their #1 is injured or something.

mspart

I think Frank M made that decision.  By not making it to the finals this weekend, he didn't qualify.  Simple as that.  Remember, it is not the person that qualifies but the country.  So a qualified country gets the spot and I have a difficult time seeing that a country wouldn't send their #2 if their #1 is injured or something.

mspart

I think you misread this thread.