Sign in to follow this  
Coach_Al

It's official, Fresno State hires Troy Steiner to lead reinstated program...

Apparently Nahshohn Garrett wants to move back west now that he's graduated from Cornell. He would make an outstanding young assistant and great role model. He is from CA, so I imagine he'd help a ton with recruiting, especially given how popular his style is among wrestling fans overall.

I am very curious on who is assistants will be.  Nashon would make an instant impact on any recruit around that weight class.  The only thing is, he's still training for freestyle and there's no regional training center in Fresno for that.  He'd have to get down to L.A. and go with Pico.  I say bring in Jason Welch as an assistant.  You could get the good guy, bad guy approach and an entirely different style of wrestling to help with.  Maybe Gerry or Stephen Abas as an assistant?  

I am very curious on who is assistants will be.  Nashon would make an instant impact on any recruit around that weight class.  The only thing is, he's still training for freestyle and there's no regional training center in Fresno for that.  He'd have to get down to L.A. and go with Pico.  I say bring in Jason Welch as an assistant.  You could get the good guy, bad guy approach and an entirely different style of wrestling to help with.  Maybe Gerry or Stephen Abas as an assistant?  

Garrett would be a great addition, but does Nick Simmons, who no longer competes, leave Indiana to head back out west to reunite with Steiner and coach the lower weight guys?

Welch would be nice for middle weights, but isn't he still competing? He was enrolled in an MFA program at NU for writing. Has he completed that? Is Matt Gentry finished competing?

Upper weights... Nathan Burak? Jon Reader? Wynn Michalak?

Also, does Ronnie Bresser have a redshirt year to burn? I know he didn't enroll in college right after high school, so I am thinking he might. Given that Willie and Christian said he wants to leave Oregon State, this could be a great fit for Fresno at 125 for their first two seasons back on the mat as they groom other talent.

I personally am waiting to get excited about Troy. OSU hasn't been pumping out the guys they were during their run a few years back.

But why are so many of you overlooking the fact that Ed Ruth and Deron Wynn are now in the Fresno area training MMA.

I would think only having a few fights a year they could be nice additions to the FSU coaching staff