Sign in to follow this  
Badger Fan

I am really going to enjoy the Frank Molinaro Olympic era

I mean if he can not win Qual tournaments he will not win Gold. Would be extremely surprised if he medaled. I think 1-1 or 0-1. But if he does get Gold that would be the biggest surprise in our sports history or at least one of them. So happy for him! Hope he makes me eat major crow and he has nothing to lose with not being expected to medal.  

And Pico wouldn't fair much better. I would not expect him to medal either.

Edited by PRyan2012

I mean if he can not win Qual tournaments he will not win Gold. Would be extremely surprised if he medaled. I think 1-1 or 0-1. But if he does get Gold that would be the biggest surprise in our sports history or at least one of them. So happy for him! Hope he makes me eat major crow and he has nothing to lose with not being expected to medal.  

And Pico would far much better. I would not expect him to medal either.

Molinaro beat Pico, twice, fair and square, and is the rightful representative for this country.  Get past it.

I am a supporter of NLWC. I simply don't expect tank to medal. If he does that would be amazing! I wouldn't expect Pico to medal either. Don't mis-understand I want him to win Gold and wouldn't want anyone else representing the USA!

Edited by PRyan2012

Frank defeated, in order, a 2 time National Champion (Kellen Russell), a 2 time National Champion (Brent Metcalf), a 4 time National Champion (Logan Stieber), and Aaron Pico (in front of a partisan Iowa crowd virtually all rooting for Pico)

​Frank really earned the Olympic Trials Title. I am glad he gets to represent the USA in Rio.  I think he can do better at the Olympics than many think. He has really improved his freestyle technique.

​Getting a bronze in a 32 man bracket at the qualification tournament is impressive. To me, it feels like the Top 3 at any of these tournaments should auto qualify.

Where did they come up with 19 per weight anyway? Why not 24, especially with the former Soviet countries taking up extra slots?
​

Edited by Badger Fan

I don't know Frank.  I am not affiliated with PSU or the NLWC.  What I do admire about his situation is, he got it done at the right time.  He won the matches when he had to.  He came back to place 3rd at the last chance qualifier when many would have folded. I like what I see and am proud to support him as our Olympic rep in Rio.   My favorite image of Frank is after the third match against Pico.  He sat calmly on his knees, smiled, shook his head, and was like, "wow".  How many of us would not like the opportunity to feel what he was feeling at that moment?  Don't blame Frank for winning the spot.  He deserves it, as he was the only one who did what needed to be done at the time it needed to be done. 

Anyone know where I can get a Frank the Tank T-shirt?

Frank is an average wrestler, he qualified in an easy one yet still placed after a Canuck a Bulgarian and a random Slovenian .

College is one thing the international game is another. 

Most croak from college to the big boys. Unfortunately.

Frank is an average wrestler, he qualified in an easy one yet still placed after a Canuck a Bulgarian and a random Slovenian .

Frank is a WORLD CLASS wrestler, nothing "average" about him.  

And he is in Rio representing the United States of America.  Get on board, and root for him, or follow another sport.

I am an huge fan of The Tank! Just being honest when I say I don't see him medaling and it would surprise me that is all. Below is my most likely to medal list: If you would have told me Tank makes the team and Varner doesn't I would have laughed at you. It is nice we have one guy on the team here!

1. Burroughs

2. Snyder

3. Tervel

4. Cox

5. Tank

6. Dennis

I am not expecting a medal out of Tank or Dennis and about 50/50 on Cox. I love this team!!!! They could all medal I hope!

the difference with dennis and everyone else on that list (exception JB and his ever improving leg lace) is that dennis can actually get a turn... that makes him a medal threat...

the difference with dennis and everyone else on that list (exception JB and his ever improving leg lace) is that dennis can actually get a turn... that makes him a medal threat...

Yes, but it's still hard to be so hopeful of a medal because it's hard to envision him getting many takedowns against elite guys.

Four-time NCAA all American, Pan Am gold medalist, winner of the Grand Prix of Spain and the Dave Schultz Memorial (over two guys who will be in the field in Rio, btw), first place at the US Olympic Trials. I wish I was average like that.

If you mean "average" in the universe of the 19 guys who will be competing at 65 kg in Rio, I'll grant you that. But no reason an "average" guy can't win a medal with a good draw and a few upsets. That's not how I'd bet, but that's what I'll be rooting for.

I am expecting gold from every one of our wrestlers, and am rooting for every one of our wrestlers, because they represent

the best Nation in the world, the United States of America.

Dan Dennis

Tank

Burroughs

J'Den

Big Kyle

Tervel

ALL OF THEM my guys, and NONE of them are "average".

Edited by 21guns