Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

Congrats Frank!  Gold in Rio awaits!

#3 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Unfortunately it feels like unless Frank wins gold everyone will continue to spew the hate on him saying Pico should have gone..

#4 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:48 PM

Nonsense. Even if he wins gold, Pico's medal would have been golder.
  • VakAttack, lu_alum, Flying-Tiger and 9 others like this

#5 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

Nonsense. Even if he wins gold, Pico's medal would have been golder.

That's fools gold.

#6 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

I mean if he can not win Qual tournaments he will not win Gold. Would be extremely surprised if he medaled. I think 1-1 or 0-1. But if he does get Gold that would be the biggest surprise in our sports history or at least one of them. So happy for him! Hope he makes me eat major crow and he has nothing to lose with not being expected to medal.  

And Pico wouldn't fair much better. I would not expect him to medal either.

Edited by PRyan2012, 12 May 2016 - 03:38 AM.

#7 21guns

21guns

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:25 AM

I mean if he can not win Qual tournaments he will not win Gold. Would be extremely surprised if he medaled. I think 1-1 or 0-1. But if he does get Gold that would be the biggest surprise in our sports history or at least one of them. So happy for him! Hope he makes me eat major crow and he has nothing to lose with not being expected to medal.  

And Pico would far much better. I would not expect him to medal either.

Molinaro beat Pico, twice, fair and square, and is the rightful representative for this country.  Get past it.

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#8 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:40 AM

I am a supporter of NLWC. I simply don't expect tank to medal. If he does that would be amazing! I wouldn't expect Pico to medal either. Don't mis-understand I want him to win Gold and wouldn't want anyone else representing the USA!

Edited by PRyan2012, 12 May 2016 - 03:42 AM.

• PSUMike likes this

#9 Badger Fan

Badger Fan
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:37 AM

Frank defeated, in order, a 2 time National Champion (Kellen Russell), a 2 time National Champion (Brent Metcalf), a 4 time National Champion (Logan Stieber), and Aaron Pico (in front of a partisan Iowa crowd virtually all rooting for Pico)

​Frank really earned the Olympic Trials Title. I am glad he gets to represent the USA in Rio.  I think he can do better at the Olympics than many think. He has really improved his freestyle technique.

​Getting a bronze in a 32 man bracket at the qualification tournament is impressive. To me, it feels like the Top 3 at any of these tournaments should auto qualify.

Where did they come up with 19 per weight anyway? Why not 24, especially with the former Soviet countries taking up extra slots?

Edited by Badger Fan, 12 May 2016 - 04:37 AM.

• Flying-Tiger, pennsyrules and wrestlingshoe like this

#10 wrestlingshoe

wrestlingshoe
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:39 AM

I don't know Frank.  I am not affiliated with PSU or the NLWC.  What I do admire about his situation is, he got it done at the right time.  He won the matches when he had to.  He came back to place 3rd at the last chance qualifier when many would have folded. I like what I see and am proud to support him as our Olympic rep in Rio.   My favorite image of Frank is after the third match against Pico.  He sat calmly on his knees, smiled, shook his head, and was like, "wow".  How many of us would not like the opportunity to feel what he was feeling at that moment?  Don't blame Frank for winning the spot.  He deserves it, as he was the only one who did what needed to be done at the time it needed to be done. 

Anyone know where I can get a Frank the Tank T-shirt?

• Eagle26 likes this

Do not pray for an easy life; pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. --Bruce Lee

#11 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

Just google it. However in those shirts, Molinaro looks an awful lot like Will Ferrell.

frnktt-bg.jpg

• Jaroslav Hasek likes this

#12 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:10 AM

Just google it. However in those shirts, Molinaro looks an awful lot like Will Ferrell.

In the hands of the right barber that issue could be fixed.

#13 pinhead

pinhead

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Frank is an average wrestler, he qualified in an easy one yet still placed after a Canuck a Bulgarian and a random Slovenian .

College is one thing the international game is another. 

Most croak from college to the big boys. Unfortunately.

#14 21guns

21guns

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Frank is an average wrestler, he qualified in an easy one yet still placed after a Canuck a Bulgarian and a random Slovenian .

College is one thing the international game is another. 

Most croak from college to the big boys. Unfortunately.

Frank is a WORLD CLASS wrestler, nothing "average" about him.  

And he is in Rio representing the United States of America.  Get on board, and root for him, or follow another sport.

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

What is with all the hatred and criticism on Molinaro?

Is this how we support our athletes??

With fans like you who needs enemies???

#16 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Bored idiots simply jumping on the bandwagon to gain attention.
  • BigTenFanboy likes this

#17 Hubbard

Hubbard

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Average wrestler says pinhead.  That's rich.

#18 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:25 AM

I am an huge fan of The Tank! Just being honest when I say I don't see him medaling and it would surprise me that is all. Below is my most likely to medal list: If you would have told me Tank makes the team and Varner doesn't I would have laughed at you. It is nice we have one guy on the team here!

1. Burroughs

2. Snyder

3. Tervel

4. Cox

5. Tank

6. Dennis

I am not expecting a medal out of Tank or Dennis and about 50/50 on Cox. I love this team!!!! They could all medal I hope!

#19 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:15 AM

the difference with dennis and everyone else on that list (exception JB and his ever improving leg lace) is that dennis can actually get a turn... that makes him a medal threat...

#20 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:38 AM

the difference with dennis and everyone else on that list (exception JB and his ever improving leg lace) is that dennis can actually get a turn... that makes him a medal threat...

Yes, but it's still hard to be so hopeful of a medal because it's hard to envision him getting many takedowns against elite guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users