Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Joliet Junior College (IL) Board Approves Wrestling Program

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/05/11/joliet-junior-college-board-approves-new-wrestling-sport-program/anh88nb/ - this one has been in the works for some time and it's nice to see that this is working towards becoming a reality.

The only thing I can see that might cause an issue is the $10,000 budget for the 2017-18 season. That makes it very clear that JJC intends to be a DIII (non-scholarship) program, but travel, lodging and food are going to chew right through that budget before the end of January.

Edited by Tofurky

Maybe it was a typo?

Can't see any AD that thinks a sport can survive on a $10K budget.

That's half of what the Penn State (USCAA) campuses have to work with. A lot of college programs have shoe string budgets. I am curious what the committee behind wrestling has planned as far as resources. A volunteer coaching staff maybe? Or maybe some current faculty member that wanted a program to coach.

Maybe it was a typo?

Can't see any AD that thinks a sport can survive on a $10K budget.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-jjc-wrestling-st-0512-20160511-story.html - The start up figure in this piece is also baffling. I remember when I was coaching at another local JuCo, JJC was undergoing some upgrading, including to their athletics facilities. However, that number seems woefully low, especially if they intend to be competitive.

That's half of what the Penn State (USCAA) campuses have to work with. A lot of college programs have shoe string budgets. I am curious what the committee behind wrestling has planned as far as resources. A volunteer coaching staff maybe? Or maybe some current faculty member that wanted a program to coach.

A guy who has really been pushing hard to reinstate the program is a well-accomplished high school coach in the area and an alum of the program. I know he is about to or recently retired from his high school gig and has said that he wants to take over the team. I can't speak to if volunteering is in the cards or not, but if he is the guy they choose, he has some very tough decisions to make when it comes to the budget.