Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

New D3 program in Virginia (Averett)

http://www.averettcougars.com/news/2016/5/12/general-news-averett-to-add-mens-and-womens-lacrosse-mens-wrestling-programs-will-start-play-in-2017-18.aspx

This means Ferrum, Southern Virginia, Averett and Hampden-Sydney have all either added, reinstated or elevated wrestling programs in the past three years in Virginia. 

Christopher Newport University in Newport News would be, in my opinion, the next logical add -- although it's public, that place could win quickly. 

I know (I think) I've seen it on here before, but where can I find a list of all the re-instated or added progams with the year they were added? 

Edited by AZCO

JMU would be nice too. I went to wrestling camp there in the 80's

sadly I get the feeling that JMU is one of the last places that will add it back. Creek I went to camp there too back in the 80s. Overall though glad to see Averett adding and that there are more opportunities in Va. 

Would love to see Longwood add it back. Virginia has lots of D3 and D1 opportunities at this point, so the lack of D2 is odd.

Longwood cut its program after it announced it was moving to Division I. They moved to D1 fully in 2004-05, but announced the drop in 2000-2001. One of my roommates at ODU transferred after Longwood cut its program.

The school had a great teaching program that provided a ton of high school coaches who wrestled there. Don Lemish, their old AD, was by far and away the most unprofessional Athletic Director I ever had the displeasure of interviewing. He provided the school's board with bogus forfeit data, drawing from B-teams rather than the varsity to indicate lack of participation. Word is he was pushed into early retirement following a room service ordeal with the men's basketball team on a West Coast trip.

The school actually sent me a cease-and-desist about logo usage on a news site. Lemish claimed to have a background in journalism. I had petitions made up while I was in college that had high school students signatures and parent and coaches signatures. The H.S. student list was thousands of kids who would never even apply to Longwood. The adult one was for people who would no longer encourage friends or family to apply. I drove to Farmville, dropped those petitions off at the desk of the president, didn't even bother to shake Lemish's hand and drove home. Shortsighted, disgusting decision to drop that I'm still pretty bitter about. 

Longwood could have become a relevant name in Division I wrestling -- because they definitely haven't been relevant in anything except maybe softball for the past 11-12 years since the move up. 

James Madison at the D1 level was similar to Longwood in the respect a lot of its alumni ended up being teachers and coaches at the high school level. As much respect as I used to have for the school for its good academics and good broadcasting program -- they crapped all over thousands of alumni when they cut 8 sports (including wrestling) a number of years ago. I'd support a move to bring the Pukes back into wrestling. I would have to stop calling them the Pukes though.