Sign in to follow this  
FATMANROLL

Student Dies While Trapped in a Wrestling Mat!

This is a really crazy story and honestly does seem a little suspicious when you think about the two types of mats that schools typically have. One is the extremely heavy old-school mats that I honestly don't think schools roll them up and store them standing straight up like that because they are so heavy that if they were to fall they could really hurt someone. The other is the extremely light dollumer type mats that while they could be stored upright like that, they are light enough that if you were trapped in there, you could fairly easily tip them over as a 16 yr old boy. Obviously I am purely speculating here and this is a very tragic story but I can see why the parents might be suspicious of the cause of death.

My first thought when reading the headline was that it was tied to a weight cutting mishap.

In high school, we used to use the mats like a suana... We'd work up a good sweat, and then have someone roll us up in the mat. A lot of guys would take a nap while 'sweating it out'. Definitely not something for claustrophic individuals.

My first thought when reading the headline was that it was tied to a weight cutting mishap.

In high school, we used to use the mats like a suana... We'd work up a good sweat, and then have someone roll us up in the mat. A lot of guys would take a nap while 'sweating it out'. Definitely not something for claustrophic individuals.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Been to that rodeo.

The family sure suspects something, but perhaps only because they received inconsistent reports. I can see a kid sliding down upside down to retrieve a shoe and then feeling trapped and begin to panic.

Either way you look at it, it's sad.

Sounds like a prank/hazing that went terribly wrong. The truth will come out eventually. Something fishy is up. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

that's where I would put my $$$ if I were a betting man! :-(

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Been to that rodeo.

Me too ... except we left our head sticking out, and the mats were horizontal on the floor. It sounds as though these were on end?? Do they stack them on end now days??

I've seen the mats stacked on end, and in fact have had the thought that if someone got into the "hole" in the rolled mat, he could be trapped like someone skiing who was upside-down in a tree well. I always thought the danger would have been to a little kid messing around, and not as much to a fully grown hs boy.

Falls into the category of "if something can happen, it eventually will".

..I can't understand how someone could fall into a rolled up (although upright) wrestling mat.

Mats is what the article said. There must have been a bunch of them all together.

""A Lowndes High School student apparently climbed on top of rolled, upright wrestling mats last week, fell into a center opening of a rolled mat, became lodged inside, upside down, and died, according to the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Monday."""

..it said he fell into the center of the mat.

It's hard to imagine the really heavy, old school mats standing on end, but even if they were the newer light mats that are stored upright, if several mats were stacked upright adjacent to one another in a cluster, and he happened to fall upside down into the mat in the center of the cluster, he wouldn't be able to knock the mat over to get out because of the other mats. Even if this was just a tragic accident, it should be thoroughly investigated because it seems so flukish that it just shouldn't happen.

confession: i haven't read any of the prior posts.

MYPOST:

I was once rolled up in a mat as part of freshman hazing. I hate confined spaces as anyone would. It's a ritual that's been going on for too long in our sport, to roll a wrestler in a mat and laugh, sometimes, forget, and in the case referenced in the OP, sometimes KILL an innocent victem.

I thought of this as well, but I've also seen older mats rolled up without the long cardboard roll. They take on a more flattened shape, and I could maybe, potentially see someone getting caught in it if they were really intent on getting that shoe out.

The bigger mystery to me is do people not know how to roll mats tightly?

Fair point, I think. WHen we were rolling the mats up, the center hole would be far to small for any human, short of an infant, to get in there.

The newer "softer" mats nowadays, are rolled up around a very, very strong Cardboard like tube, that is may 18-20" across. The newer mats can not stand on end without the tube. And the width of the roll or if it's on end is only about 5 feet tall and very precarious, and "tippy" ....

The really olde mats from years ago always had to be horizontal .. The didn't have the rigidity to stand on end.

Like someone else said ... It's just one of those weird deals that is so tragic. This whole deal just does not make sense.