Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Monday, Rosselli, and Zadick are the finalists

Zadick seems like the most likely choice.  Maybe Slay saw the writing on the wall when he left for Penn.  Roselli is a great coach, but with the current system he is probably better off staying at the Ohio RTC where he can actually train more elite athletes.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

the fact that it's likely roselli is a reason ohio otc guys have success is evidence that the national coach shouldn't be select based on what he offers as a coach/trainer. keep the effective coaches in the rooms across the country and hire a dynamic personality who can raise funds and promote the sport as you're national coach.

the fact that it's likely roselli is a reason ohio otc guys have success is evidence that the national coach shouldn't be select based on what he offers as a coach/trainer. keep the effective coaches in the rooms across the country and hire a dynamic personality who can raise funds and promote the sport as you're national coach.

Let the PR people do that.  We have serious technique deficiencies at the highest level.  Lou can designate qualified people to man the individual OTCs and set the agenda for training at the top.  If we need a fundraiser, designate someone as National Director of Promotions or some other such title.  JMHO.

I would hire Jake Herbert. Passion and personality is what USA wrestling needs. He understands we need athletes like Mark Schultz and Mo Lawal not just hard workers like Metcalf. Get someone that will go into the inner city. I think Herbert is the guy. But he is not a finalist. But if they pick one of these three I say Monday. Wrestling needs a MMA mindset to grow. I vote for Monday.

I would hire Jake Herbert. Passion and personality is what USA wrestling needs. He understands we need athletes like Mark Schultz and Mo Lawal not just hard workers like Metcalf. Get someone that will go into the inner city. I think Herbert is the guy. But he is not a finalist. But if they pick one of these three I say Monday. Wrestling needs a MMA mindset to grow. I vote for Monday.

Is this a joke?

I'll agree with a lot of what PRyan says.  Monday is a big name, but is he a big personality? Are any of these guys?  Currently, who is the face of USA wrestling?  Burroughs?  No disrespect to the best freestyler ever, but that is the tail wagging the dog.

This isn't an Xs and Os position.  We need a person that can walk into a brunch and walk out with 7 figure pledges.  We need a person that can put every RTC on the same page as the OTC and add even more of them.  He needs to put the right Xs and Os people in the right places.   As PRyan said, he needs to expand the diversity of the membership base.  He needs to create opportunities for young men to develop and pursue their dreams.  This is a hard job.

Absolutely not a joke. We need a personality that can speak in front of a gala or school that doesn't have the personality of a door knob. We need to get more athletic guys instead of grinders as Herbert has stated. Everyone knows I love Cael and Varner or even Burroughs but we don't need someone like them/him over it all even though they have great resumes. We need someone who won't make a crowd fall asleep. Let the asst coaches teach technique and the head guy promote our sport while over seeing technique and training.

USA wrestling is making a huge mistake with these three finalists because none have dynamic personalities. They are all great but I wish they would make a big change and focus more on promoting the sport but if they want status quo then hire one of these guys. Monday would be ok with me but not the change I was looking for.

I don't know if Herbert would be the right guy but his vision, passion, persona and past credentials are what we need. Monday does bring in the MMA element though.      

Edited by PRyan2012

Absolutely not a joke. We need a personality that can speak in front of a gala or school that doesn't have the personality of a door knob. We need to get more athletic guys instead of grinders as Herbert has stated. Everyone knows I love Cael and Varner or even Burroughs but we don't need someone like them/him over it all even though they have great resumes. We need someone who won't make a crowd fall asleep. Let the asst coaches teach technique and the head guy promote our sport while over seeing technique and training.

USA wrestling is making a huge mistake with these three finalists because none have dynamic personalities. They are all great but I wish they would make a big change and focus more on promoting the sport but if they want status quo then hire one of these guys. Monday would be ok with me but not the change I was looking for.

I don't know if Herbert would be the right guy but his vision, passion, persona and past credentials are what we need. Monday does bring in the MMA element though.      

I think you might be misunderstanding what the job entails. You keep describing a PR position when that's not the job they are hiring for. Herbert might be good for the PR side of things. For the rest of it, he would be a poor choice.

Here is the list of responsibilities from the job posting:

Responsibilities:

• Take a leadership role with Freestyle athletes, Regional Training Centers, Clubs, and personal coaches to win team titles at all world-level competitions in all age groups.

• Develop and articulate the 4-year High Performance Plan for each Olympic Quadrennium.

• Work with National Teams Staff in developing and maintaining an annual budget. 

• Recruit and cultivate a coaching network from the pool of Freestyle coaches who are proficient and up-to-date on the latest rules, procedures, techniques and training methods.

• Create both short and long-term individual training plans with Elite Athletes and their personal coaches to help them attain excellence in world-level competitions.

• Organize and coordinate all training and competition activities of the National Team.

• Lead the Developmental and Resident Coaches in implementing a sustainable long-term plan for continuous improvement of U.S. Freestyle wrestlers.

• Maintain consistent communication with all Freestyle stakeholders, including athletes, coaches, volunteers, and officials.

• Represent USA Wrestling at international coaching clinics and conduct domestic grassroots promotional activities.

• Work with the Freestyle Sport Committee to resolve issues and assign volunteer coaches to touring, developmental, and championship teams.

• Work closely with United States Olympic Committee Sports Performance Staff to apply successful sports science principles to wrestling.

• Coordinate an international scouting system designed to determine world-wide technical and scoring trends, identify weaknesses in foreign opponents, and recognize areas of improvement for U.S. athletes.

• Engage personally with USA Wrestling staff and volunteers for fundraising events

• Work with National Team staff in developing an effective National Team contract that sets a high standard for performance and accountability

When I read that list I see Herbert performing better in most of those areas. And the MMA thing was just a plug for Monday because of his background the last several years.

Changing gears. John Smith has been at OSU for 20 years. Doesn't he need a change?

I think you might be misunderstanding what the job entails. You keep describing a PR position when that's not the job they are hiring for. Herbert might be good for the PR side of things. For the rest of it, he would be a poor choice.

Here is the list of responsibilities from the job posting:

Responsibilities:

• Take a leadership role with Freestyle athletes, Regional Training Centers, Clubs, and personal coaches to win team titles at all world-level competitions in all age groups.

• Develop and articulate the 4-year High Performance Plan for each Olympic Quadrennium.

• Work with National Teams Staff in developing and maintaining an annual budget. 

• Recruit and cultivate a coaching network from the pool of Freestyle coaches who are proficient and up-to-date on the latest rules, procedures, techniques and training methods.

• Create both short and long-term individual training plans with Elite Athletes and their personal coaches to help them attain excellence in world-level competitions.

• Organize and coordinate all training and competition activities of the National Team.

• Lead the Developmental and Resident Coaches in implementing a sustainable long-term plan for continuous improvement of U.S. Freestyle wrestlers.

• Maintain consistent communication with all Freestyle stakeholders, including athletes, coaches, volunteers, and officials.

• Represent USA Wrestling at international coaching clinics and conduct domestic grassroots promotional activities.

• Work with the Freestyle Sport Committee to resolve issues and assign volunteer coaches to touring, developmental, and championship teams.

• Work closely with United States Olympic Committee Sports Performance Staff to apply successful sports science principles to wrestling.

• Coordinate an international scouting system designed to determine world-wide technical and scoring trends, identify weaknesses in foreign opponents, and recognize areas of improvement for U.S. athletes.

• Engage personally with USA Wrestling staff and volunteers for fundraising events

• Work with National Team staff in developing an effective National Team contract that sets a high standard for performance and accountability

Nothing in the duties listed suggests to me that we need a wrestler with top level results to fill this role.

Having high level wrestling technique and world class athleticism would not help.

We as fans want a someone with a name, but should that really matter?