Headbanger

Boise State Coach.....any word?

It should be soon although I don't think the BSU athletic admin really care much about a recruiting time crunch, Cherrington interviewed last week and Mendoza yesterday (Monday). I sure hope that which ever it is hires an assistant that can draw recruits because they'll need a lot of them.

The BSU Athletic Department's biggest priority is fund raising and Mendoza's allure is his past experience raising money for CSB off of Stephen Neal's name. I think Ben would do a good job. He inherited a not so great situation at Northern Colorado (APR issue) I also think he has the best chance in bringing in some quality assistants like Adam Hall. He is super close with Chris Owen. With a new spark of energy, I could see Chris doing well. The question is whether the taste in his mouth will be gone after how crappy he was treated.

Is Cherrington an upgrade? 

Yes and no.  My feeling is that Randall and Owens had an amazing run from the mid-90's through 2012.  I don't know what in the world happened after 2012, but something in the room definitely changed and the team as a whole just completely lost its blue-collar butt-kicking attitude.

So I see Cherrington or Mendoza as an upgrade in a few ways:

1.) It's time for a change and a re-energizing of the team

2.) Randall and Owens were notoriously awful at engaging the fan base.  It will be good to have young coaches that are hungry, that interact with the fans and will hit the interstates to bring in recruits.

3.) Having younger coaches that embrace social media and know how youth today want to communicate will be very helpful with recruiting

The flip-side is that there are very few coaches that have been able to develop non-BlueChip talent on a shoestring budget the way that Randall and Owens have.  Quite frankly, they've worked some miracles in coaching 2 National Champions (Kirk White was only a 1X State Champ in Washington), multiple finalists, and numerous AA honors.  I don't see a new coaching staff matching that kind of success (but I would love to be proven wrong).

But I do see a new coaching staff getting the team to believe in itself again and developing recruits better than what we've seen the last 4-5 years.  Cherrington is one of the National Champions that came out of the Randall/Owens program.  He knows what it takes to win and I think can bring back the mentality that Boise State used to have.

Yes and no.  My feeling is that Randall and Owens had an amazing run from the mid-90's through 2012.  I don't know what in the world happened after 2012, but something in the room definitely changed and the team as a whole just completely lost its blue-collar butt-kicking attitude.

Kirk White left.  He was IMO Owens and White were the main reason for their success.  Once Kirk left, they went WAY downhill.  Kirk was an awesome recruiter and a great in the room coach.

He's suppose to be impressive at fundraising? That could be a huge asset if true if he can raise money to upgrade recruiting, travel, and pay assistant coaches enough to attract a few that will in turn attract wrestlers to want to come to Boise.

Congrats AD for making the worst hire possible for your wrestling program. What a horrible hire!!

You had a chance to hire a young gun and you pick this??!

Cannot imagine many will be happy about this hire..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, Mendoza is not a bad coach at all. He is not a name brand guy, but he has done some impressive work with very little. If he is smart, he'll use this job upgrade to hire a superstar assistant, which he did not have the luxury of doing at CSUB.

The Broncos could have done a lot worse. Mendoza is a very capable administrator. He does need a young gun to help with recruiting and coaching modern technique. But that's a role he can hire for and there is no shortage of top young talent to consider.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Congrats AD for making the worst hire possible for your wrestling program. What a horrible hire!!

You had a chance to hire a young gun and you pick this??!

Cannot imagine many will be happy about this hire..

What "young gun" did they have the chance to hire? If you are talking some of the top assistants at other schools I am not sure that they would even take the job. BSU got a good hire for what they are willing to put into the program - As already stated he did a lot with very little at CSBU...and he has the California recruiting connection.

I think the results at CSUB are indicitive of a solid hire. Give the increased name recognition that comes with Boise State, as well as the established connections to California and it should be a great boost for the program.

Not sure what someone means by a young gun.

(Posted via mobile)

Boise state is not a solid program from a coach in California nor has it ever. It is built around Utah, Idaho, Washington, and at time Oregon and Alaska.

Boise State is not going to appeal to kids from California imo. Different demographics. Unless he learns to be accommodating to his population all I see happening is Utah Valley gaining more recruits that would have gone to Boise St.

He won one PAC title. Boise State in the early 2000's set the tone and maintained a winning record against him while at CSU. He rode the coats of Neal which was good but what other fund raising has he done?

Will he embrace the former wrestler's that helped build Boise St. in the first place? I hope so.

I hope I am proven wrong and he turns it around but I disagree with the hire..