Headbanger

Boise State Coach.....any word?

Boise won the first three in the series after Mendoza took over a CSUB. Then CSUB won two of the last three -- with far less resources and financials at his disposal. 

I think it's short-sighted to cast the entire state of California as a different demographic than Boise. It's a big state with all kinds -- in fact, 35 of the 80 rostered football players at Boise are from California. 

Too much negativity here. I sense you want him to fail to validate your claims. Mike is a good guy who hustles. The fact CSUB won "one" Pac-12 regular season title shows it. This is in a conference with Stanford, Arizona State and Oregon State -- all with major national appeal. 

If they can give Mike just "that much" more than he had at CSUB, there will be an improvement. Any coach worth his salt reaches out to alumni. He had a great asset in Neal at CSUB. It's up to the alumni to put their money where their mouth is. 

Jason - appreciate your good sense and optimism.  BSU has a new coach...I wish him the very best!  Any chance you will conduct a Mike Mendoza interview in the near future on Mat Talk?  Would be very interested in hearing what Coach Mendoza has planned...for interaction with the alumni...Idaho wrestling leaders (scholastic and USA-Idaho, etc.)...current roster outlook...assistant coaching plans...interactions with Suples in Boise...and whatever else you can get him to talk about.

Thanks

Edited by rjs

Actually, Mendoza is not a bad coach at all. He is not a name brand guy, but he has done some impressive work with very little. If he is smart, he'll use this job upgrade to hire a superstar assistant, which he did not have the luxury of doing at CSUB.

The Broncos could have done a lot worse. Mendoza is a very capable administrator. He does need a young gun to help with recruiting and coaching modern technique. But that's a role he can hire for and there is no shortage of top young talent to consider.

Nerd - good comment.  I have to confess that at first I was hoping for a name-brand guy as well, but I've really warmed up to the Mendoza hire.  Like you said, he's done a lot with very little, and that's what Boise State used to do.  With some good assistants and his connections to California, I see Boise State only getting better.  Good hire - welcome to Boise coach!

a big state with all kinds -- in fact, 35 of the 80 rostered football players at Boise are from California

In the last decade tell me how many wrestler's from California were recruited to Boise St. or how many were on their roster? You may say short sighted, I say reality.

Further, look at his current roster at CSU and you will see he does not have a single recruit/wrestler outside of California. The likelihood of him having the experience to recruit outside of California is small. The time to build a relationship with the coaches who send kids to Boise is another issue. That alone puts him at disadvantage. Will he look to bring kids from California and forget the local kids? Will he look to recruit the best kids out of Idaho? We will see how things shake up in years to come. Like I said it will be interesting to see how this will impact neighboring programs that were competing against the same recruits. Where they will end up.

Sorry but I do not look through a hire from some media perspective colored glasses. I do not like the hire. Do not think he was the best choice.

We will see how he does. You can assume all you want about my desire for him to fail or not. I really do not care.

zander, he's done a lot with, quite literally, nothing. You do realize that the CSU Bakersfield athletic department provides absolutely no funding whatsoever for the program, requiring it to be entirely self-funded, right?

SHP - Yes, I do realize that CSUB is self-funded, which is a big reason why I think Coach Mendoza is a great hire (in addition to the reasons that wrestlingnerd and JB mentioned).  Did you misunderstand my post?

Sorry but I do not look through a hire from some media perspective colored glasses. I do not like the hire. Do not think he was the best choice.

Who was the best choice then? Based on the track record of the two finalists, it was a no brainer decision. Do you think someone other than the two finalists should have gotten the job, and was your pick even interested?

Your complaining makes it seem like you have a personal problem with Mendoza.

Who was the best choice then? Based on the track record of the two finalists, it was a no brainer decision. Do you think someone other than the two finalists should have gotten the job, and was your pick even interested?

Who was the other finalist and if anyone knows, which applicants applied?

It's easy to say "They should have hired so-so" when you don't know who did or did not apply. 

My frustration is more directed at the Athletic Department. They had a huge opportunity to reach out to Assistant coaches across the nation and land a good coach. Cherrington was not one of the ones I had in mind but I like a former Wrestler who was NCAA Champ for Boise State vs. a guy who left his alma mater. Cheering ton did a good job at Northern Colorado.

If you look at recent hire's out west this one is not comparable. In my mind it was a swing and a miss. This just shows this AD is not willing to better the program and get the best option out there.

ASU

Wyoming

Oregon State

Fresno St.

Look at the statistics over the past 15-16 years.

http://static.pac-12.com/sports/wrestling/pdf/WRESTLING.pdf

Boise State has been well above CSU Bakersfield and in the top 3 consistently. So we now hire their coach? And that "One" PAC title was in 1999 (Was he even coaching? When did he win a Title as a coach?). To me it does not make sense.

In the last decade tell me how many wrestler's from California were recruited to Boise St. or how many were on their roster? You may say short sighted, I say reality.

Further, look at his current roster at CSU and you will see he does not have a single recruit/wrestler outside of California. The likelihood of him having the experience to recruit outside of California is small. The time to build a relationship with the coaches who send kids to Boise is another issue. That alone puts him at disadvantage. Will he look to bring kids from California and forget the local kids? Will he look to recruit the best kids out of Idaho? We will see how things shake up in years to come. Like I said it will be interesting to see how this will impact neighboring programs that were competing against the same recruits. Where they will end up.

We will see how he does. You can assume all you want about my desire for him to fail or not. I really do not care.

You do know that Chris and Kirk are from Idaho and Washington, hence the heavy ID/WA recruiting which is why there have never been too many California kids. Why so many Cali kids on the CSB roster? Really you can't figure that one out? There are plenty of D1 California kids - why would he bring in Nevada and Idaho kids who are state champs when the CA qualifiers can beat them?  Now that their head coach is from California do you really think that he is now going to ignore his connections in California? And yes, kids from Cali will go to BSU. Plenty of them in other sports do and the main influx of people to Idaho are from Where?

My frustration is more directed at the Athletic Department. They had a huge opportunity to reach out to Assistant coaches across the nation and land a good coach. Cherrington was not one of the ones I had in mind but I like a former Wrestler who was NCAA Champ for Boise State vs. a guy who left his alma mater. Cheering ton did a good job at Northern Colorado.

If you look at recent hire's out west this one is not comparable. In my mind it was a swing and a miss. This just shows this AD is not willing to better the program and get the best option out there.

ASU

Wyoming

Oregon State

Fresno St.

Look at the statistics over the past 15-16 years.

http://static.pac-12.com/sports/wrestling/pdf/WRESTLING.pdf

Boise State has been well above CSU Bakersfield and in the top 3 consistently. So we now hire their coach? And that "One" PAC title was in 1999 (Was he even coaching? When did he win a Title as a coach?). To me it does not make sense.

You have been asked several times who these young assistant coaches are from around the country that would have come in to coach at BSU...so who are they? You are basing your opinion of "swing and miss" on the idea that BSU had a long list of young assistants that were lined up to apply. Let's see...low funding...lots of fund raising to keep your job...start from almost scratch on the roster...Idaho isn't a hotbed for wrestling...Not sure the big names are lining up to take the job.

Media colored glasses? That's a new one ... one that probably should never be used again because it's well, yeah.

Probably one of the worst cases of grasping at straws I've seen in recent years with a coaching hire post.

Remember, this guy wanted this job. You can't hire people who don't apply.

Young guns for assistants such as Adam Hall, Jason Chamberlain, Clayton Foster..any of these would provide a spark in the room and for recruiting. I for one hope Mendoza can use his knowledge of Calif to bring in some obscure gems.

Edited by uphillBronco

This cuts both ways.  BSU has continued to load up on Washignton, Oregon and Idaho kids as of late, and look how that has turned out.  Adding a few from California couldn't be the worst idea. 

Initially I was also expecting a bigger splash, but I think the reality is that most outside of OSU and ASU, most Pac12 HC jobs pay less and require more non-wrestling (fundraising) effort that a decent assistant coaching job in the BIg 10 or Big 12. BSU is not well funded.  Add to that that BSU is really far from anything, and that it does require West Coast/Pacific Northwest recruiting knowledge to be successful, its little wonder why BSU ended up fleecing another Pac12 HC as their new guy.  I highly doubt any big names applied. 

Idaho:

I am very aware of BSU's history and those who wrestled there.

As for why so many CSU kids are from Cali. I mentioned this as a negative. Seems the thought he can't recruit outside of Cali would be a problem. And your idea that Cali kids are better than Boise is laughable as BSU has competed and placed above CSU and Stanford a majority of the time in the PAC 12. As a guy with the name "Idaho" it is interesting you seem to think so little of wrestling out of Idaho. You diss their wrestler's by thinking state qualifiers would do better and further state it is not a hotbed for wrestling. I respectfully disagree. Idaho puts out quality wrestler's

As for what made BSU competitive is being able to get great and quality recruits (both in Idaho and outside of Idaho)and making them better.

My swing and a miss is based off recent hire's at similar schools in the west. This hire is not comparable to what FSU just got ( A program that is yet to be affiliated with a conference).

JB: the worst grasping at straws is avoiding the real issue talking about how great guy he is and he had no funds.. Than the true issue, Why did they resort to a in conference coach that has not even won a conference title and is consistently middle of the pack in results?

Interesting that you and others say he will do well or I am warming up to this hire. The reality is we have too. He is the new coach so let's get behind him. Just because I disagree with the hire does not make me less of a fan or wish for him to fail. It just means I wanted and expected the AD to go out and get a quality assistant coach from a strong program where you have a guy hungry to take on his own program and make it his own.

My opinion, either there was no interest or the AD did not do a national search or reach out to coaches and just went with those who applied. That is disappointing. In my opinion. As I have said. A swing and a miss by the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for why so many CSU kids are from Cali. I mentioned this as a negative. Seems the thought he can't recruit outside of Cali would be a problem. And your idea that Cali kids are better than Boise is laughable as BSU has competed and placed above CSU and Stanford a majority of the time in the PAC 12. As a guy with the name "Idaho" it is interesting you seem to think so little of wrestling out of Idaho. You diss their wrestler's by thinking state qualifiers would do better and further state it is not a hotbed for wrestling. I respectfully disagree. Idaho puts out quality wrestler's

He didn't recruit outside of California due to finances.  There isn't the money to travel out to recruit (or fly in the recruits) and even if out-of-state recruits do visit there is hardly any scholarship money for them.  So your best ROI is the in-state kid that already has a lower tuition rate since they are in-state and they will be able to compete locally.  Also, there are many good wrestlers in California to build a program around which is exactly what he did in winning the Pac-12.

California has a lot more talent than Idaho.  Sure, most of the stars go out of state to compete but the second tier is still strong and deep (similar to the depth in Ohio and PA which makes the MAC and EWL competitive).

I am pretty sure you've made up your mind because you wanted a certain young BSU alum to get hired and you're not willing to listen to any other points of view on this topic.  As a result, I suspect this thread has run it's course. 

JB: the worst grasping at straws is avoiding the real issue talking about how great guy he is and he had no funds.. Than the true issue, Why did they resort to a in conference coach that has not even won a conference title and is consistently middle of the pack in results?

Interesting that you and others say he will do well or I am warming up to this hire. The reality is we have too. He is the new coach so let's get behind him. Just because I disagree with the hire does not make me less of a fan or wish for him to fail. It just means I wanted and expected the AD to go out and get a quality assistant coach from a strong program where you have a guy hungry to take on his own program and make it his own.

My opinion, either there was no interest or the AD did not do a national search or reach out to coaches and just went with those who applied. That is disappointing. In my opinion. As I have said. A swing and a miss by the AD.

So if your gripe is with the AD from the get-go, there's absolutely no reason to have attacked Mendoza or his recruiting practices in a place where he's been virtually limited to a small recruiting circle. Trashing one guy to get your point across about another is not going to help the program. 

Instead of slamming the hire, which you HAVE done, focus your energy at something else, because what you're doing now isn't helping the program. 

The position is what it is, you can't make this position something glorious and engaging without a little work. If the department saw Mendoza as the best applicant -- then he was probably the best applicant ready for a head coaching position. 

I'll say it again, this negative attention you're putting on a program that's quite frankly, been largely disappointing the last half decade, again, isn't helping the program. 

Basically, you don't like the hire. That's on you to deal with because you've shifted arguments when faced with facts. I don't doubt your devotion to your school, but if I'm wearing some mythical "media colored glasses" -- try taking your glasses off and dealing with the reality of the situation. 

You wanted Boise to get a young gun hammer coach -- maybe of those who applied, none were qualified enough to run a Division I program yet. Just because some folks have been assistants elsewhere doesn't mean they know what it takes to run a program. Of all the applicants I was aware of, Mendoza was the only one who clearly knew how to do that. 

You're going to find reasons to hate this hire beyond this thread. Like Pinnum said, it's run it's course. I can talk unbiased and rationally about this and what it looks like from a non-BSU position, but that isn't what you want. People are going to agree with you and they aren't. You've not provided any information or actual applicants with the experience that would have made for a better hire. No facts, just ire. That doesn't sway people's opinions.

BSU has been real bad lately. Something needed to happen. 

Edited by JasonBryant

It seems as though Boise State didn't like the condition of the wrestling program, so they decided to make a change.  That is positive.  They definitely upgraded the coach, but did they actually make a change?  To do that, they would need to do a lot more than swap coaches.  This didn't seem like a comprehensive, national search.

It seems as though Boise State didn't like the condition of the wrestling program, so they decided to make a change.  That is positive.  They definitely upgraded the coach, but did they actually make a change?  To do that, they would need to do a lot more than swap coaches.  This didn't seem like a comprehensive, national search.

Why would you say it wasn't a national search?

Of all the applicants I was aware of, Mendoza was the only one who clearly knew how to do that. .

What applicants are you aware of that applied beyond Mendoza and Cherrington?

Interesting you seem to think he was the most qualified. Care to explain that further and who all applied as this information has not been shared or provided by the AD? That would help determine if I am right in if the AD in fact did any national search or not.

A person disagree's with the hire and provides facts on how he has not done well comparable to BSU and that is slamming him? I do not agree he should have been the guy and this is slamming him. Spare me as you yourself are just as biased as me. Your full of it as your comments demonstrate you are biased in the support of the hire. I am not. You bashing them over the past 10 years as sucking, but I am shedding negative light. What a farce.

Nice quick edit realizing your comments were unprofessional. Classy..

My quick edit was for a dropped word in my last line - that's all that was edited. So nice try. 

It's clear any sense of rational discussion back and forth will be lost.

I admire your desire to see your favored program return to prominence, but it's clear you don't want to hear any conflicting opinion on why Mendoza was a good hire.

I have no personal relationship with Mendoza. I barely know him. I have him scheduled to come on my show soon. 

Hope you make peace with all this, because no degree of response will change your opinion. That's fine. 

JB, based on your response I take it you will not be divulging who the other candidates are that you are aware of.

However, if pinnum is correct and Steiner was an option and decided to take FSU that is disappointing. Maybe he was the top option but decided FSU instead. There could be several reasons. I will throw out a few possibilities:

Pay was better at and ability to hire quality assistants at FSU

Liked the commitment at FSU vs. BSU

Like FSU vs. BSU

Additional thoughts. Did Steiner pursue it or did they pursue him? In the end I have the distinct feeling the AD only rubber-stamped the approval and did not our much quality work in finding a pool of coaches. Sadly and it is not a slam but the hire leads me to that conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about giving Mendoza 3-4 years to see what he can do? The hire is done. Griping about it is not going to change the coach. If you are a true fan of BSU, you must now support Mendoza, as disappointed as you may be.

Again, if history is any indication, Mendoza appears to be a very capable head coach who delivers good "bang for the buck" that he gets paid. BSU was never going to get Cael Sanderson or John Smith, let's be realistic. For what they could offer, I think they hired a solid guy. You disagree. Let's let time be the judge. The good news is, there's nowhere to go but up at BSU at the moment, and I expect Mendoza will improve things over the next handful of years.

Most of the wrestling coaching happens at the assistant level, with a few exceptions (e.g. Cael, John Smith, and other GOAT-type of coaches would be remiss to not focus at least some of their time on technique). Mendoza as an administrator and a top younger assistant or two could be a very strong combination. I'm interested in who Mendoza brings in to assist him.