CoachWrestling

Pico vs. Zain (Folkstyle)

What's Pico's best Folkstyle win ever?

Just like Folkstyle success doesn't automatically translate, neither does Freestyle success.  Some guys like Burroughs can have very little high level freestyle experience and use the same Folkstyle skills to great success.  Others with similar skill sets cannot.  We simply don't know what Pico is as a Folkstyler.  He might be a Burroughs type guy who can go from one style to another in a few months without missing a beat.  If he could, then I'd take him over Retherford because he has proven to be the bigger overall talent.  But he could also get on a Folkstyle mat with no out of bounds, unlimited funk options, no fear of being exposed, riding time points, longer matches, forced mat wrestling, escape points minimizing the value of TDs, home crowds (and home crowd refs), schedules that include 5Xs more matches in the same time frame, far more restrictive weight rules, and much more.  Who knows how that affects him.  

I am ok just saying Pico is the much better Freestyler and we will never know what he is as a Folkstyler since he didn't have a match after 10th grade.  

So boconnell made a lot of my point(s). I think some people who assume Pico would dominate on his feet to the tune of multiple takedowns per period forget the defensive mind set to defending a shot is wayyy different. In college there's funk, out of bounds, more potentially dangerous situations, which could allow Zain to fight off takedowns he wouldn't in a freestyle match for fear of exposure. Also Zain's top wrestling was absolutely amazing, and you can't negate the energy expenditure it takes to actually earn an escape in the best possible situation, and just trying not to get turned which is more likely. It's almost a guarantee Zain scores on top, gets an escape so the real question is can Pico make up a potential 3-5 point deficit with takedowns and cutting him.... I don't think so Zain wins 8-6

Well Pico has had the best of Zain in the past, but that's in the past. Zain pretty much worked everyone this year in D1, and I think he's getting much better and stronger. Right now I think if they went at it in either style it might be pretty fun and interesting to watch. I will say that since Pico has (presumably), been training mostly Freestyle now so Zain might have a little advantage there.

Edited by de4856

lol Gwiz was certainly a better wrestler than Owings. I don't think I need to really elaborate on this train of thought - we all know where it's going.

Also, to elaborate on my point earlier, I do think Zain Retherford is one of the most dominant wrestlers in college today, and will likely go down as an all time great. My earlier post made it seem like I wasn't impressed with him which is certainly not the case. Penn State has a very good one. I just feel Pico is a better talent overall.

All Tim great in college or free?

Shocking but I'm going to agree with FT here. Zain has done a ton to prove himself, in both styles now. Not saying he'd beat Pico in Freestyle bit I'd love to see the match now that we've seen Zain has been on a great learning / improvement curve.

He's not enrolled in a college, so that would never happen.

The All-Star classic is an exhibition.  Anything can happen.

On a side note, is Pico eligible to enter open college tournaments (like Midlands)?

Edited by wnywrestling

The All-Star classic is an exhibition. Anything can happen.

On a side note, is Pico eligible to enter open college tournaments (like Midlands)?

Yes. Not sure do the specific requirements, but Pico is eligible. Edited by Housebuye

I just can't see him being at that level.  Not in comparison to Dan Gable, or Cael Sanderson, or Wade Schalles, or Mark Shultz.

Sorry about that.

No apology needed.   Your lack of vision should not be held against you when forming an opinion.   

Pico thumps him with little effort.    He's just too much for any college wrestler his weight or below.    Different level of athlete and competitor.    

The thing I hate about Pico's imaginary wins is that the video quality is so bad I can't even see him much less his opponents. And I really wanted to see him with one hand tied behind his back pinning Emam-Ali Habibi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do we rank Pico among the all time greats in freestyle? His hypotheticals are off the charts.

1. Smith

2. Bruce B

3. Burroughs

4. Monday

5. Pico

Does this look about right?

1. Pico

Obviously number 1 considering he's never lost a match on these forums.

Pico definitely beats Zain. He doesn't play that hands to the face crap and had he focused on folkstyle, he'd have been an undefeated 4x NCAA champ with cake walk victories over ZR.

Next question, please.

Yea man... I mean Pico is so freaking good that he would have won 4 NCAA titles by his true freshman season, which would have concluded this year and have 3 more years of eligibilty left!