Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Boston College Xucks

You could care less makes no sense.

Do they still teach English in school?

Or is this a Millennial thing?

When did Boston College drop wrestling?  Boston University dropped wrestling a couple years ago. 

You could care less makes no sense.

Do they still teach English in school?

Or is this a Millennial thing?

Probably could have been more refined in my post but at times colloquial language makes a stronger point. However, my English teachers would definitely agree with you. BTW, not a Millennial but a "Baby Boomer." Thanks for the feedback.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/could%20care%20less

BC never had a serious wrestling team anyways, they were nowhere close to a DI level team.  I am sure they offer no scholarships. 

Still sad to see a program dropped, but it  is worlds apart from BU who was the most important team in New England for many year because of how much they contributed to local wrestling at all levels.

BC dropped in 2002.

They also had an AA HWT right around the time they dropped, was a football player and his name is escaping me.  Heck he even played for the Bears a bit and I still can't remember his name.  Getting old sucks...

- Construction plans that drastically reduce facilities for several sports - swim/dive, tennis, fencing

- The college doesn't offer athletic scholarships for a few of them

-Denied media access to coaches

- Reprimanded Tom Groden, who has been their only swim/dive head coach & the winningest swim/dive coach in NCAA history, for voicing his concerns about the construction plans

Those sports are dead, they just don't realize it yet. 

BC is a train wreck as far as the ACC is concerned. They went 0-8 in ACC football and 0-18 in ACC basketball this year. Those are the two biggest sports in the conference. The next biggest sport for the conference is likely baseball which is not good for BC when the baseball season starts in February and Boston can get snow right up to college graduation in May. BC Baseball finished at the bottom of their division in the ACC this year.

There are a few successful programs at BC. They are is an ice hockey school through and through with a lot of accomplishments but it doesn't provide any utility to the ACC as only two of the 15 ACC schools sponsor the sport.

BC is regularly at the bottom of the conference in the majority of the sports. I do know the basketball teams at BC have been complaining that they are struggling to compete because they don't have the money to buy home wins like the majority of the teams in their conference do. Even with the ACC money, BCs programs still have tight budgets due to not dominating their own local markets.

To put it all in perspective, Wake Forest, which is the most forgotten member of the ACC who has to compete locally against Duke, NC State, and North Carolina regularly out performs BC.

I wouldn't be surprised to soon hear about the elimination of a few sports at BC. It could be another Oregon situation. We all remember when Oregon was cut and the athletic department cited not having a facility for the team when they built a new facility and did not build wrestling into the plan.

I remember when Garay(the only guy to beat Mocco in HS) placed, about the same time program elimination was announced, a lot of fans of midwest colleges who were very upset about programs being dropped were on the forums suggesting that BC drop their program early, so that Garay could wrestle for them. Actually he never wrestled after 2000 to concentrate on football. 

Garay and Mocco didn't wrestle in HS. Garay was public school Mocco two different Prep schools.

They wrestled post-season (freestyle). Garay won those bouts.

Mocco's loss in HS was to a NY kid Tom Sorenson of Queensbury. Was up 11-1 tried a lateral drop. Ooops.

I remember when Garay(the only guy to beat Mocco in HS) placed, about the same time program elimination was announced, a lot of fans of midwest colleges who were very upset about programs being dropped were on the forums suggesting that BC drop their program early, so that Garay could wrestle for them. Actually he never wrestled after 2000 to concentrate on football. 

Not true.  Garay wrestled in the 2000-2001 season (his junior year).  He finished one match shy of All American honors.  He was upset two times in a row. Once by Northern Iowa's Paul Hynek and then by Purdue's Jake Vercelli.  For his senior year, Boston College dropped the wrestling program and Garay had no choice but to concentrate solely on football.  Although I did hear it rumored that the A.D. was willing to keep wrestling for one more season, if Garay wanted. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. 

I wrestled at Boston College from 1991-1995, and it was the formative experience of my life as a young man. To compete with so little administrative/financial support requires a serious love of the sport and great respect for our fine and honorable coaches (Rod Buttry, Steve Biondolillo, Jim Gallagher, Justin Harty, Mike Alvarez, and others).

Several of us coached professionally during our twenties, and a handful of my teammates have developed highly successful coaching careers. 

When BC cowardly dropped wrestling with a litany of ever changing rationales and in spite of an offer for a solid 7-figure gift, many of us functionally severed ties with the school. Some people - many on the Board and then-AD Gene DeFillippo in particular - truly are human scum. In spite of them, BC wrestling alum are proud and grateful.