TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

There are negative stories every post-season, sex, drugs, alcohol, academics, etc. Wrestling will survive this just as it has every other.

As far as the wrestlers and or coaches, that's up to the police and universities. While I'm not a lawyer the only thing I see is some kids selling legally obtained (assumed) prescription medications to other students. Probably not a major criminal violation. 

There are negative stories every post-season, sex, drugs, alcohol, academics, etc. Wrestling will survive this just as it has every other.

As far as the wrestlers and or coaches, that's up to the police and universities. While I'm not a lawyer the only thing I see is some kids selling legally obtained (assumed) prescription medications to other students. Probably not a major criminal violation. 

Not sure of Minnesota law, but in numerous states, including Oklahoma, selling prescription drugs illegally is an automatic felony.  Fines or jail time could be light, but that record could come back to haunt you.

Definitely agree with the first part-wrestling will survive.  Just once though, would like to go through the offseason without hearing any of the bad stuff.  I know, fantasy world.

Not sure of Minnesota law, but in numerous states, including Oklahoma, selling prescription drugs illegally is an automatic felony.  Fines or jail time could be light, but that record could come back to haunt you.

Definitely agree with the first part-wrestling will survive.  Just once though, would like to go through the offseason without hearing any of the bad stuff.  I know, fantasy world.

It may be a felony but these cases always seem to get plead down to some kind of probation / counseling and reduced to a misdemeanor. I suspect this will end up much-a-do-about-nothing. 

As far as the second part, we're talking about kids out on their own for the first time in their lives. Bad decisions will be made by all and some will become public knowledge. 

Edited by Zebra

If I am reading this right, it is actually JRob that is in trouble and not the wrestlers.

I suspect that will be a school related "trouble" since he's net being accused of selling anything.

Now the police may try to put some legal pressure on him as "an accessory after the fact" to get him to spill the beans but I doubt he's going to face any real legal trouble.  

Much ado about not much. JRob will be fine. He disciplined his guys as soon as he found out. He might've told some of them to get legal help, which is fine advice, in my book. What was he supposed to do? Advising anyone to get legal advice is a GOOD thing in any circumstance (and I generally hate lawyers...).

It's not like JRob got high with his guys and ordered coke and hookers.

Just a Federal felony.

Almost makes me want to go read the Minny forum?

"There is a lot going on with this story"   Hard to even know ?  Could be JRob was working hard to help his kids, make sure it stopped, but not get them in legal trouble?  That is what I would like to think.

Question that comes to mind - is using Xanax illegal?  The article indicates "Robinson allegedly told them he was aware of narcotics use on the team" (emphasis added), but in that case, it may be a team rules issue, or University rules issue, rather than a legal issue?  Sale or distribution, of course, might be different.

Way too many unknowns here to jump to any conclusions, IMO.

It's not the actual use of xanax(although if it isn't your prescription you shouldn't be taking it).  It's the illegal acquiring of the drug and, even worse, the illegal distribution of the drug.  It's no different than taking some of your mother's prescription of vicodin.  If you took one for pain, you probably don't get in trouble.  But, if you are running around selling them, you could get in a TON of trouble........

For those of you that do not know this Xanax, second to weed is the most common drug consumed by college kids today. they are extremely abundant on campuses. They are used for coping with stress, or mixed with alcoholic drinks in order to attain a greater level of intoxication. They can be sold for $5 a pill so, so it is extremely common for kids who prescriptions that do not take them to tell sell them to Frats/sororities and others. 

Edited by newyorkwrestler

As a human being, JRob did the right thing.  He treats his team like family, and when he saw they were having issues, he took a personal role in what he felt was the solution.  As a University employee, he screwed this up big time.  When you find out about this type of thing, you HAVE to report it to the AD.  With school admins, more important than solving the problem is reporting it/getting everything through the official channels for the sake of liability.  If JRob had dealt with it himself, and then one of the Students OD'd or sold to somebody who OD'd, there would be a multi million dollar lawsuit.  JRob is a man of honor and probably saw turning the offending members in as a violation of their trust.

Anyway, I think this will just move up his retirement date.  The real question for me is did Eggum know, and if so, will it eliminate him from contention for replacing JRob.  

As a human being, JRob did the right thing.  He treats his team like family, and when he saw they were having issues, he took a personal role in what he felt was the solution.  As a University employee, he screwed this up big time.  When you find out about this type of thing, you HAVE to report it to the AD.  With school admins, more important than solving the problem is reporting it/getting everything through the official channels for the sake of liability.  If JRob had dealt with it himself, and then one of the Students OD'd or sold to somebody who OD'd, there would be a multi million dollar lawsuit.  JRob is a man of honor and probably saw turning the offending members in as a violation of their trust.

Anyway, I think this will just move up his retirement date.  The real question for me is did Eggum know, and if so, will it eliminate him from contention for replacing JRob.

It seems like you're working on the assumption the administration was not made aware by JRob.

I don't know if they were or were not informed but I find it interesting that drug tests were administered. I would think that would go through the school.

Schools often know about problems with their athletes (including drug use) and handle it internally as a health and counseling issue. It sounds like JRob has been honest when asked about it.

It seems like you're working on the assumption the administration was not made aware by JRob.

I don't know if they were or were not informed but I find it interesting that drug tests were administered. I would think that would go through the school.

Schools often know about problems with their athletes (including drug use) and handle it internally as a health and counseling issue. It sounds like JRob has been honest when asked about it.

You're right.  My assumption is that the university was not aware because it is the U of M police that are investigating. If they were aware, and this was the course of action decided upon by the previous AD, then the investigation should focus on him.  If everything went through the "proper channels," I don't see why there would be an investigation at all?  You're not going to get a conviction without catching somebody with the drugs on them or in the act of selling.  

You're right.  My assumption is that the university was not aware because it is the U of M police that are investigating. If they were aware, and this was the course of action decided upon by the previous AD, then the investigation should focus on him.  If everything went through the "proper channels," I don't see why there would be an investigation at all?  You're not going to get a conviction without catching somebody with the drugs on them or in the act of selling.

This article has very little information so it is hard to understand what is going on.

It sounds like someone may had been tipped off that the wrestling program was mentioned by an informant before any progress was able to be made on an investigation.

Of course, it is all speculation. They could have a case against some athletes already and just be sitting on it while they work to get others. But since school is out and the University police are involved, I would have expected for them to act before the semester let out and people left the area.