TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

As a human being, JRob did the right thing.  He treats his team like family, and when he saw they were having issues, he took a personal role in what he felt was the solution.  As a University employee, he screwed this up big time.  When you find out about this type of thing, you HAVE to report it to the AD.  With school admins, more important than solving the problem is reporting it/getting everything through the official channels for the sake of liability.  If JRob had dealt with it himself, and then one of the Students OD'd or sold to somebody who OD'd, there would be a multi million dollar lawsuit.  JRob is a man of honor and probably saw turning the offending members in as a violation of their trust.

Anyway, I think this will just move up his retirement date.  The real question for me is did Eggum know, and if so, will it eliminate him from contention for replacing JRob.  

Having them write an essay was the "right thing" to do as a human being?  From personal experience, I can tell you this is anything but the "right thing" to do when someone is messing around with dope, be it using or selling, particularly for anyone considered family.

Having them write an essay was the "right thing" to do as a human being?  From personal experience, I can tell you this is anything but the "right thing" to do when someone is messing around with dope, be it using or selling, particularly for anyone considered family.

Selling prescription drugs isn't good behavior, but you have to remember these are college kids. Also, Xanax can be addictive, but is not near the level of Oxycodone and other pain medications. There's a difference between a couple kids selling their scripts and a drug ring..I'm assuming this is more likely the former.  

I believe the NCAA publishes a report every year on drug use by sport from an anonymous survey.  Like other athletes and people in college, NCAA wrestlers smoke weed, do coke, etc.  

This can be seen in one of two ways:  JRob letting these guys off the hook and covering this up because he doesn't want them to be suspended/off the team.  Or JRob trying to make a difference by reprimanding them "his way," and playing the "disappointed father' figure role.  I think there's an argument to be made that the latter is a more effective form of discipline than simply reporting them to the admin.  Unfortunately, it's just not acceptable given the legal liability of the whole thing and I'm pretty sure that if it turns out he did not go through the proper channels, he will be replaced.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I guess we have a different experience set.  I don't why the assumption is that this is just a couple kids innocently selling their own personal meds to pals for pizza money.  My experience is that someone willing to sell off substances like Xanax is up to a lot more than that.  I also believe that the "I'll handle it my way" approach has gone the way of the horse hair mat--just not the culture we live in anymore.

In Minnesota Selling or possessing without script of schedule IV is probation, 0 - 5 yrs, up to $10 k in fines.

Plus a diversionary program which would result in nothing on their criminal record.

if

My experience is that people selling substances like Xanax are people who aren't up to much worse than that and typically are just selling a pill or two at a time to classmates

Like I said, different experience set.  Most dope dealers (even those who are athletes) rarely are busted for their most egregious crime, just the one they were most careless about.  Also, you think that "they were just selling a few of their own pills" is going to fly with the police or the AD?  Are you also going to defend the "write a one page essay" approach to effectively dealing with the situation as well?  I'd hate to see a legend go out on a note like this, but I have a bad feeling about this situation if the story has any merit.  I also question the carelessness of sending out easily traced social media messages to members of the team that seem to corroborate the alleged crimes.  I guess we'll wait and see...

For those of you that do not know this Xanax, second to weed is the most common drug consumed by college kids today. they are extremely abundant on campuses. They are used for coping with stress, or mixed with alcoholic drinks in order to attain a greater level of intoxication. They can be sold for $5 a pill so, so it is extremely common for kids who prescriptions that do not take them to tell sell them to Frats/sororities and others. 

I would say they are probably as common as cocaine or ecstasy, in terms of choice of drug.    

Question that comes to mind - is using Xanax illegal?  The article indicates "Robinson allegedly told them he was aware of narcotics use on the team" (emphasis added), but in that case, it may be a team rules issue, or University rules issue, rather than a legal issue?  Sale or distribution, of course, might be different.

Way too many unknowns here to jump to any conclusions, IMO.

It's highly illegal to sell narcotics in the USA, at any level.  You have to be licensed in order to do so.   It's illegal to even posses the drugs, if you do not have a prescription for them.    Pain killers kill more people annually, than coke or heroine do.   It is a HUGE problem.   Dealing drugs is never a small deal.  If you absolutely must, one would hope you didn't sell to students or team mates.   This really sucks.  The only saving grace here is the HUGE misconception in general,that so long as you got your drugs from a pharmacy, it's not like the "bad drugs".   Keep in mind, these people are using them to get high.   They are highly addictive and they kill.    I like JRob and I admire his loyalty to protect his guys, but they are drug dealers, and it's wrong.    

Wow I go away for a day and a whole bunch of gibberish shows up on a topic with little to no information. The internet did not disappoint. 

Now I have to say a couple of the responses were a bit amusing, not the palindrome stuff but a few others. 

“Half of it went in the river, and half of it went to J. I know for a fact the people who were selling it dumped it and gave him about 1,400 [pills].” The source did not elaborate on the dumping location.

Ouch.