TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

A lot more info in that article. These were not kids selling a few extra pills to their buddies with a few thousand pills involved. This is also a colossal error in judgment from J if it went down as described. I won't predict whether or not he goes down for this, but his firing would not be an entirely unexpected outcome. He doesn't get to decide who faces consequences for illegal acts, and he has legal, and apparently contractual, obligations to report this kind of thing and not handle it himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot more info in that article. These were not kids selling a few extra pills to their buddies with a few thousand pills involved. This is also a colossal error in judgment from J if it went down as described. I won't predict whether or not he goes down for this, but his firing would not be an entirely unexpected outcome. He doesn't get to decide who faces consequences for illegal acts, and he has legal, and apparently contractual, obligations to report this kind of thing and not handle it himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've all read the article - which isn't necessarily fact. And anything you've added is purely guessing on your part.

Edited by rstrong

2,500 pills?  J.Rob disposing of 1,400 pills?  Good call, Coach_J, you were spot on.  That's just what they had on them...$20,000 of inventory...I wonder who the previous team member is that has access to such a large amount of prescription drugs?  

J. Rob is gone unless the whole thing is a lie (judging by the text message though it probably isn't)....Only question is how soon and if Eggum is out as well.  I don't see how you can keep anyone at this point.  Clean house and start over. 

The timeline is also important.  When did the investigation start by the U of M police?  Are they going to press charges against J. Rob for disposing of the pills/covering up for the athletes?  

I know his heart is in the right place, but he pretty much did everything wrong.  From taking possession to thousands of dollars of Xany to coercing confessions out of these guys (which he hopefully destroyed).  

“Half of it went in the river, and half of it went to J. I know for a fact the people who were selling it dumped it and gave him about 1,400 [pills].” The source did not elaborate on the dumping location.

Ouch.  

As mentioned above, that's not a case of passing a couple pills over to buddies, that would be a full scale, drug dealing operation.   

A part of me applauds JRob for stone walling police in defense of his guys, but the other part says he's protecting drug dealers and drug users.    Just because they're his guys or they're wrestlers, doesn't mean their crimes are not a huge burden and hazard to the community.   It still is, and it does no service, we're talking drugs here.   

I'm torn here.   I hate to see JRob take an ugly fall.   I hate seeing wrestling take any kind of hit.   

Selling prescription drugs without the ability to write the prescription, sounds like a drug dealer.

It doesn't sound like..it is dealing and dealing narcotics, even "Xandy Bars" is very illegal and a big thing.  I doubt the students will get in big trouble, I do think JRob was covering up and it may lead to his downfall.  I say he is done.

If this were the football coach, it would be national news tomorrow and not just a sports story.  It still might be.  2,500 pills, 14 members of the team (is this almost half the entire roster?), and then the coach personally disposes of all of them and makes the kids write an apology essay.  It would be one thing if you had one kid passing around a couple of pills....Ugh.  I hate this because J Rob never should have been put in the situation by these guys.    

This just keeps happening over and over again with Penn State, Ohio State, Baylor, etc, etc, where Coaches try to deal with issues on their own/make them go away rather than going through the proper channels.  

Wow, a great deal of ignorance posted in this thread so far.  A few people who are on the right track, but several acting like they know about something when they don't, but this is the internet, so that is to be expected.

First I am not personally attacking any of the posters I quote below but to be informative there are some points that need addressed.

Second, let me tell you where I am coming from, I am a recovering addict who has been clean for eight+ years and also have professional training and experience in this area.  I have lost many friends over the years including some wrestling teammates.

I have no issue with how JRob handled this situation.  I also believe the kids in this situation deserve a second chance.

"Probably not a major criminal violation. "

Wrong, very, very wrong. (more on this below)

"much-a-do-about-nothing"

Wrong.  For an offense like this we are talking prison time and at the very least some time in the county and some supervised probation.  First offense might be given some leeway especially if you enter treatment class, or narc, and are not black or poor.  Second offense you will spend some time in the county or state hotel.

"Just a Federal felony"

100%correct.  The fed can get involved in a crime like this, in this case it is not likely unless a major ring is uncovered, but if local FBI man is an Iowa fan he could absolutely make this a federal case.

"Is using Xanax illegal?"

Really?  If they are not yours it is a felony.

"I could be wrong but I believe it would only be a federal violation if it crossed state lines"

Wrong.

"It's the illegal acquiring of the drug and, even worse, the illegal distribution of the drug."

100% correct.  Both possession and distribution are felonies.

"You're not going to get a conviction without catching somebody with the drugs on them or in the act of selling. "

Wrong.  Witness testimony, the essays written, text messages, internet, phone records, scales, baggies, etc. can be used, happens all the time.

"Also, Xanax can be addictive, but is not near the level of Oxycodone and other pain medications"

Wrong.  The benzodiazepine family which includes valium , xanax, and others are very addictive,  Little know fact, benzos and alcohol are the only two classes of drugs that can kill you from withdrawal.  Serious addicts need to be hospitalized when coming off of them.  Heroin, while withdrawal sucks it will not kill you as long as you stay hydrated.  Also, benzos carry a dangerous side effect of memory loss.  Most overdoses occur from the user actually forgetting how many they have taken or when they have last taken them.  Memory loss bleeds into the next day, good luck remembering what you did while on them.

I could go on, but this is a wrestling forum.  Please feel free to PM me with questions.

And, no Campolattano was oxy not xanax.

Edited by josefsmoe

Headline: Source: Gophers wrestling coach sought to handle Xanax abuse internally

Those who sold Xanax were protected by coach J Robinson, a source said. 

Any number of things bother me with this story, but two of them involve the way J Rob handled it. While anyone can empathize with a coach trying to protect his guys, once you cross a certain line that protection has to give way to University and legal standards.

J Rob trying to handle this "internally" is how you ultimately end up with persons who just don't know the severity of their actions. A one page essay? That is a joke. This can lead to a recurrence down the road and then someday someone overdoses. 

The other aspect of it is why J Rob thinks he is bigger than the Gopher administration to begin with. How many times have we seen legendary coaches in other sports not understand why they shouldn't be the ones making these decisions? 

If this were the football coach, it would be national news tomorrow and not just a sports story.  It still might be.  2,500 pills, 14 members of the team (is this almost half the entire roster?), and then the coach personally disposes of all of them and makes the kids write an apology essay.  It would be one thing if you had one kid passing around a couple of pills....Ugh.  I hate this because J Rob never should have been put in the situation by these guys.    

This just keeps happening over and over again with Penn State, Ohio State, Baylor, etc, etc, where Coaches try to deal with issues on their own/make them go away rather than going through the proper channels.  

You are right, no coach should be put in this situation just like no one else should be put in a terrible position at their work place. But it happens, and the path you choose when confronted by hard choices is the difference between true leadership and something entirely different. 

The head of the Minnesota Board of Regents is clueless. Dean Johnson stated on Fox News 9 in Minneapolis that the kind of "dealing" these athletes were doing is not a felony.

Maybe their lawyers should clue him in on things as he is only helping to dig that hole a little deeper. 

2,500 pills?  J.Rob disposing of 1,400 pills?  Good call, Coach_J, you were spot on.  That's just what they had on them...$20,000 of inventory...I wonder who the previous team member is that has access to such a large amount of prescription drugs?  

J. Rob is gone unless the whole thing is a lie (judging by the text message though it probably isn't)....Only question is how soon and if Eggum is out as well.  I don't see how you can keep anyone at this point.  Clean house and start over. 

The timeline is also important.  When did the investigation start by the U of M police?  Are they going to press charges against J. Rob for disposing of the pills/covering up for the athletes?  

I know his heart is in the right place, but he pretty much did everything wrong.  From taking possession to thousands of dollars of Xany to coercing confessions out of these guys (which he hopefully destroyed).  

Billy, it gives me no pleasure to be right about this, but I know this territory.  My daughter is a recovering junkie and I had to deal with this behavior first-hand.  And yes, I, her father, eventually turned her into the police because there was no other way to save her life--by far the hardest moral decision I ever had to make as a parent.  She did four months behind bars and I don't regret playing tough--she's alive because of it.  I was hated for a long time, but now she's at a point where she understands what I did and why I did it and our bond is strong as ever now.  Without the four months to get her head straight and clean up, I'd be visiting her grave now.  Sorry, J Rob totally botched this, good intentions or selfish motives aside.

Edited by Coach_J

back to the glass houses.  I am afraid that this and many other kinds of drug use, including PEDs , is happening in many if not most sports teams.  Coaches are ignoring it, or allowing it, or maybe even promoting it.  Maybe the big issue we have with concussions now, has something to do with the increased amount of drug use? (I know that is a leap, but when some of these kids are claiming long term problems from concussions and at the same time butting crap in there bodies that mess up there heads???)

Anyway, if this ends up ending JRob, everyone else better make sure their house is clean.

It's highly illegal to sell narcotics in the USA, at any level. You have to be licensed in order to do so. It's illegal to even posses the drugs, if you do not have a prescription for them. Pain killers kill more people annually, than coke or heroine do. It is a HUGE problem. Dealing drugs is never a small deal. If you absolutely must, one would hope you didn't sell to students or team mates. This really sucks. The only saving grace here is the HUGE misconception in general,that so long as you got your drugs from a pharmacy, it's not like the "bad drugs". Keep in mind, these people are using them to get high. They are highly addictive and they kill. I like JRob and I admire his loyalty to protect his guys, but they are drug dealers, and it's wrong.

Xanax is NOT a narcotic or a painkiller.

Edited by tbert

Wow, just wow. You’d think from s few of these responses the world has just stopped spinning on its axis and we’re all abbot to be thrown in to space due to the loss of gravity.

There are 4 aspects of this so let’s look at them one at a time with a sense of reality.

The perpetrators

First of all this is not some gigantic international drug cartel so the doom and gloom nature of some responses is just silly. These are a few kids that made a very bad decision. This will be handled locally and their lawyers will arrange some form of plea deal and most if not all will get what is essentially a slap on the wrist as long as they stay out of trouble for a period of time. Sure there may be some ramifications form the college including expulsions but they’ll have an opportunity to restart their lives down the road.

The coach

JRob could lose his job over this but I suspect not. Sure he might get some form of reprimand but probably nothing too serious. If they already have a succession plan in place that may accelerate it but probably not by too much. Now if he was really trying to cover it up that’s a different issue but I don’t get the sense he was from these articles. He made some mistakes but I don’t think it was malicious intent.    

The team

A few kids will be gone, no doubt, and a few others will be punished in some way by the school. Exactly what I don’t know and neither does anybody else on this message board. The team will recover and guess what, they’ll be wrestling next year and competitive.

College Wrestling

This will have exactly zero impact on college wrestling beyond the individuals who receive whatever punishment is doled out by the school and whatever judge accepts the plea deals. For wrestling this is not a black-eye or anything else. It’s just another incident in college athletics as a whole and let’s face it football and basketball are the only thing 90% of sports fans ever hear about.  

Josefsmoe, in the eyes of the law, selling Xanax and oxy are basically the same thing. I never said the exact same thing. Both schedule IV w/o a prescription.

Fair enough.  I was just stating the difference in the two cases especially since there was a question mark in your post.

How was the ed ruth dui/taco bell run handled by the penn state administration a couple of years ago? I forget, but since they're both felony charges I wonder if the penn state fans on this board would view a 10 to 20 day ban from live competition a fitting punishment.

How was the ed ruth dui/taco bell run handled by the penn state administration a couple of years ago? I forget, but since they're both felony charges I wonder if the penn state fans on this board would view a 10 to 20 day ban from live competition a fitting punishment.

Since when is a DUI a felony?  There are certain types of DUI's that are felonies(habitual and accident/injury causing) but I am pretty sure that Ruth's offense did not fall into that category.....

While it's not always charged as a felony it very easily can be. All ruth had to do was hit another car instead of a tree and there is a case for it. I personally think penn state was fine with how they handled that situation as well, but I also remember some of the penn state fans defending him on these boards. The charges for selling a little bit of xanax to a friend and a dui are probably not all that far off.

While it's not always charged as a felony it very easily can be. All ruth had to do was hit another car instead of a tree and there is a case for it. I personally think penn state was fine with how they handled that situation as well, but I also remember some of the penn state fans defending him on these boards. The charges for selling a little bit of xanax to a friend and a dui are probably not all that far off.

LOL a little bit of Xanax. 2500 pills. 1400 turned into the coach. "A little bit" my ass.

I don't recall either, but i certainly hope he had to do more than write a 1 page essay and say he is sorry.