TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

The point was, what Ruth actually DID was not a felony.  There are a ton of criminal activities that would switch from a misdemeanor to a felony if they did something else along with it.  I just thought it was very unfair to lump both Ruth and PSU into that category for a DUI.

The difference between the 2 are SUBSTANTIAL.  If everyone that drank KNEW getting in a car and driving was a felony no matter what, the occurences would drop considerably.  Drug dealers in College aren't stupid.  They may be making a stupid decision, but I guarantee they knew it was a felony to sell Xanax.

So assuming J gets the axe, what do they do? Stay in house and go with Eggum? I doubt it. Would Hahn have interest in going back? Would Mark Perry throw his name in or is he content waiting for Heff to go? Who else is out there that could stop the program from falling out the "elite"

I think they have to clean house completely, as much as it sucks.  Too much pressure otherwise….   Washington Post picked it up too, ripping J Rob, I can’t see any way he survives IF the info given by the wrestler talking to the press is true.  Maybe he did go to U of M or the cops, we don’t have all the facts yet. 

My theory is this – J Rob found out, told the guys to give me the drugs, I’m going to start testing you, write the essay etc and said he’d give them amnesty.  Only AFTER he found out how massive the issue was and how many drugs there were. 

At that point J Rob is an old school, loyal man of his word and made the bad decision to keep it in house.  You get over a thousand pills you can’t sweep it up at this point.  Again though, just a guess...

If the quantity is confirmed it's a really big problem. If it is a case of just a few pills being shared, then it is a different issue. Either way the kids involved should consult legal counsel just because it is a good idea. Also, from a mental health standpoint the kids should be evaluated for any kind of addiction problems.

Something tells me JRob made the aninimity deal with the team fully expecting he would get a few guys that were using among themselves to Hand over small stash of pills. But what he got was a much bigger issue than originally expected and now is stuck in the middle of a mess due to his efforts to keep his word on the matter. The wrestlers probably though they found a way out clean but now may end up dragging the coach down with them. But if it ends up going that far, I'm guessing he also has enough honor to make a deal with the school that if he leaves his staffs reputation will not be tarnished (unless they were directly involved).

Edited by MadMardigain

What would motivate someone to break rank and call the cops here?  I bet envy, a spot on the team and resentment play a majority role, despite sanctimonious posturing about doing the "right thing".

I thought the same thing. It doesn't seem like it was a moral issue as they would have likely gone to the administration since it would have been an issue with how their program was being operated. It seemed like the way it was handled had another motive. Additionally, the fact they contacted the media (or were so willing to speak to the media) further fans the flames.

For those of you that do not know this Xanax, second to weed is the most common drug consumed by college kids today. they are extremely abundant on campuses. They are used for coping with stress, or mixed with alcoholic drinks in order to attain a greater level of intoxication. They can be sold for $5 a pill so, so it is extremely common for kids who prescriptions that do not take them to tell sell them to Frats/sororities and others. 

Lol... this is not true.

Guest Kingsland

I think they have to clean house completely, as much as it sucks. Too much pressure otherwise…. Washington Post picked it up too, ripping J Rob, I can’t see any way he survives IF the info given by the wrestler talking to the press is true. Maybe he did go to U of M or the cops, we don’t have all the facts yet.

My theory is this – J Rob found out, told the guys to give me the drugs, I’m going to start testing you, write the essay etc and said he’d give them amnesty. Only AFTER he found out how massive the issue was and how many drugs there were.

At that point J Rob is an old school, loyal man of his word and made the bad decision to keep it in house. You get over a thousand pills you can’t sweep it up at this point. Again though, just a guess...

This was my thought as well.

It's sad to see.  On one hand I think J Rob thought he was doing the right thing, he wasn't trying to protect anyone or hide anything he was concerned for the welfare of his athletes.  But it's not what is going to be reported and it doesn't look that way to people on the outside who don't know him.  On the other the university has a responsibility to handle this, and I hope that given what happened today at Baylor, this doesn't result in him being fired. 

I'm all for people being able to police themselves and not getting the authorities involved unless absolutely needed. That being said there is a line that has to be drawn when something "major" happens and needs dealt with in the proper manor. This seems to fall into that category.

I'm all for people being able to police themselves and not getting the authorities involved unless absolutely needed. That being said there is a line that has to be drawn when something "major" happens and needs dealt with in the proper manor. This seems to fall into that category.

This.

The bottom line is they were dealing in thousands of pills, any one of which could be potentially lethal when mixed with other forms of medication or even alcohol. Had the one team member not alerted the police and this never gets out then maybe these kids come to the conclusion this is no big deal. Get caught, write a one page essay. Somewhere down the road they start up again. 

J Rob messed up by thinking he could handle felony type actions internally. Doing the right thing in this situation would have been to consider the totality of the situation and realizing this had to be taken to the authorities. Instead he metaphorically sweeps it under the rug and it takes one of his young wrestlers to do the right thing for him. 

For all intents and purposes, it is the coaching staff and not the wrestlers that were reported. It is a serious breach of trust and loyalty.  Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, but this smells like vindictiveness to me. The potential for Eggum's life to suffer a serious and irreparable setback is very real. 

My theory is that JRob decided to retire when he found out about the drugs and now he is going out on his own terms. It is hard to fire someone who has already decided that it's time to leave.  He refused to give the wrestlers names to the campus police and no amount of LE threats will change that. 

All the assistant coaches will be gone as they are closer to the team's inner workings than JRob was.

You have to think, every coach of every sport at every university in the country has to sit through mandatory meetings on how to handle certain situations as per university policy to not only protect themselves but the University.

Although I partially agree with Jrob going with the "old school" approach on this, you have to be aware times have changed.

I think the bigger potential question is not just with Jrob, but with the entire staff on whether they knew.

This.

The bottom line is they were dealing in thousands of pills, any one of which could be potentially lethal when mixed with other forms of medication or even alcohol. Had the one team member not alerted the police and this never gets out then maybe these kids come to the conclusion this is no big deal. Get caught, write a one page essay. Somewhere down the road they start up again. 

J Rob messed up by thinking he could handle felony type actions internally. Doing the right thing in this situation would have been to consider the totality of the situation and realizing this had to be taken to the authorities. Instead he metaphorically sweeps it under the rug and it takes one of his young wrestlers to do the right thing for him.

If only Joe Pa would of reported everything when he found out about the things happening in his locker room many kids wouldn't of been sexually abused.

First, I don't know the facts.

That said, if half of what is being said is true what really strikes me is that this is NOT the kind of team culture I would have expected from such a proud program. How could other wrestlers on the team have allowed this? It is an indictment of the team as a whole.

Perhaps, that is why it is out there. Perhaps the team did step in and they should be commended. But it would seem to be late if it is true that wrestlers were getting a discount. Where were the team leaders? Will be interesting to learn more. There is a lot for many to learn from this.

Kind of expect the team to have a culture of holding all accountable for high standards.

But I'm in my own ivory tower.

Edited by nom

From everything out there it looks like they have just cause to terminate Robinson, which is unfortunate.  He wasn't trying to cover things up, at least I don't think that was his intention (I could be wrong), but times have changed and that kind of mentoring doesn't work anymore.  If he is fired, which it sounds like is at least a real possibility, where might he go or who could take over at Minnesota?

Having experienced all the imaginary horse manure extraneously generated as the result of Sandusky's real crimes, I think I'll wait to see how it plays out before jumping on the JRob and U of M culture is evil bandwagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown