TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

What would motivate someone to break rank and call the cops here?  I bet envy, a spot on the team and resentment play a majority role, despite sanctimonious posturing about doing the "right thing".

Whatever the motivation, lets just be glad they stepped up to put an end to the dope dealing ring, present on the Minnesota campus.   

From everything out there it looks like they have just cause to terminate Robinson, which is unfortunate.  He wasn't trying to cover things up, at least I don't think that was his intention (I could be wrong), but times have changed and that kind of mentoring doesn't work anymore.  If he is fired, which it sounds like is at least a real possibility, where might he go or who could take over at Minnesota?

According to the Washington Post there is no evidence he reported this to anyone either. Not the Police, not the University either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/26/minnesota-wrestlers-caught-selling-xanax-coach-has-them-write-essay/

People play semantics with words all the time, but if he does not escalate this to any authority outside his program that to me is sweeping it under the rug, at best. And it just looks bad when things are so far out of whack that one of your wrestlers feels it is necessary to call the police and report your actions to the proper authorities. The police then have to notify the school officials about your actions. 

Why is it that it almost always seems in athletics that the icons of sport, those with the most to lose, fail to just do the right thing? The thing that the little guy, in this case a young wrestler at Minnesota, easily identifies as the proper course of action? 

Edited by TBar1977

As someone who spent my summers at 28 day intensive and love the gopher program.

As someone who has great familiarity with the drug and its effects. Realize Xanax is the gateway to the heroin epidemic in this country.

It is VERY important to note, this happens at every university in the country, but the fact it was a University Team and the head coach handled it extremely poorly in house. Just like Paterno, and more recently Briles at Baylor they are the leaders of the program this falls on their shoulders

JROB HAS TO GO. Not only did he not go proper authorities, but he didnt even go campus authorities (even though most of the time they don’t do squat)

No if ands or buts I am sorry he HAS to go.

My favorite sports personality is Colin Cowherd and he just said this in his May 26th Podcast and has said it in his past. "I dont get scared if my car breaks down in NYC, LA, Boston, I get nervous when my car breaks down in the middle of a dirt road in a Fly over state." Realize where all these cover ups take place. Happy Valley, Waco Texas (Briles), Jamies Winston in Tallahasse Florida. When you're in "God and Guns" area of the country is where these issues typical take place. Willie Saylor even stated he had no idea that this was an issue in Society. LIKE WHAT? Im dumb founded at this. 

How could J try to handle this situation in house, after seeing paterno getting dismantled did he think he would be invincible?

No new info, but a little bit of analysis in this new article: http://www.startribune.com/j-robinson-s-gophers-wrestling-coaching-career-could-be-in-jeopardy/381052981/

This is a key passage:

"The university’s policy addressing concerns of misconduct says that “anyone who in good faith believes that a violation of the law will occur, is occurring or has occurred at the university should report their concern.”

Marc Edelman, a national sports law expert, said Robinson would have been best off reporting the alleged drug issue to university officials.

“In most cases, a wrestling coach is not trained in law, the investigative process or even the university’s own protocol for investigating wrongdoing,” said Edelman, an associate law professor at the Zicklin School of Business in New York. “He should have sought guidance from the university’s dean of discipline and the university’s general counsel, even if his intentions were magnanimous and pure.”

If only Joe Pa would of reported everything when he found out about the things happening in his locker room many kids wouldn't of been sexually abused.

Definitely a different order of magnitude in terms of the extremity of the offenses, but I was waiting to see how long it would take to make comparisons between two iconic coaches.  Obviously, they both thought they were above the law.

No new info, but a little bit of analysis in this new article: http://www.startribune.com/j-robinson-s-gophers-wrestling-coaching-career-could-be-in-jeopardy/381052981/

This is a key passage:

"The university’s policy addressing concerns of misconduct says that “anyone who in good faith believes that a violation of the law will occur, is occurring or has occurred at the university should report their concern.”

Marc Edelman, a national sports law expert, said Robinson would have been best off reporting the alleged drug issue to university officials.

“In most cases, a wrestling coach is not trained in law, the investigative process or even the university’s own protocol for investigating wrongdoing,” said Edelman, an associate law professor at the Zicklin School of Business in New York. “He should have sought guidance from the university’s dean of discipline and the university’s general counsel, even if his intentions were magnanimous and pure.”

Not trained in the law, but he knew enough to tell his guys to get lawyers.

Well now that J Rob has been found guilty of all charges (even though none have been filed and we have only heard from an "unnamed accusser") this case should be closed. Guilty as charged by the Court of Pretenders! It is now time for all the perfect and self righteous to reflect on the times they knew of someone supplying alcohol to minors (what if they got in an accident and killed someone?) EVERYONE knows some one. How many times did the jury of Pretenders turn the person in or go to the news media and anonymously trash someone? Of course none of the self righteous ever supplied a drink to someone who was intoxicated or under aged. J Rob or the student athletes are no different.

If one of those articles is correct, and the sale/supply was done out of a "dorm" room and not an off campus house or apt, that narrows down who was doing it and may/could have been one of the reasons Coach Robinson looked to handle it the way he did.

Not excusing it, just think that may have been the thought process?

Well now that J Rob has been found guilty of all charges (even though none have been filed and we have only heard from an "unnamed accusser") this case should be closed. Guilty as charged by the Court of Pretenders! It is now time for all the perfect and self righteous to reflect on the times they knew of someone supplying alcohol to minors (what if they got in an accident and killed someone?) EVERYONE knows some one. How many times did the jury of Pretenders turn the person in or go to the news media and anonymously trash someone? Of course none of the self righteous ever supplied a drink to someone who was intoxicated or under aged. J Rob or the student athletes are no different.

Red herring at its finest.

If we needed to find perfect people we'd never even be able to judge any behavior.

If J Rob with held this from authorities and is now with holding evidence itself then he is likely going to be pushed out.

While it's true that youth people use drugs w/out a prescription -- and sometimes sell them -- a little research confirms that a third of all opiate related deaths occur from combining Xanax with something relatively simple like Percocet.

Red herring at its finest.

If we needed to find perfect people we'd never even be able to judge any behavior.

If J Rob with held this from authorities and is now with holding evidence itself then he is likely going to be pushed H

Thanks for volunteering, You are appointed as the chairman of the jury of pretenders.  Deliberate fairly by considering only the evidence   (which there has been none brought forth) come to a conclusion beyond a reasonable doubt(or base  your judgement on "ifs" and "buts" which you and you fellow hypocrites have already done before any evidence or facts have surfaced)

The wrestling community needs more just like you

Remember that this is the State where the Pro football team still plays a guy who beat a 4 year old til he was bleeding.

Their moral compass is seriously off.

That said, J Rob appears to have done what he could to help the young men. Hope all goes well for both him and them.

For a new JRob career (if he is forced out), I'd suggest he start a dual meet acrobatic-style pro-wrestling league.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2642777-japanese-wrestling-match-features-ridiculously-wild-spots

He really needs to achieve his dual meet championship dream before retiring, and pro wrestling offers the advantage of not having to police wrestlers for drug activities. Also, his revised wrestling camps would broaden appeal for the sport to athletes like Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas.

Just a thought, need to return to the asylum now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBar, you seem to be reveling in this. I don't seem to recall you reveling in past transgressions related to PSU.

Not at all. It isn't really a wrestling issue to me. I wish these things would never even crop up, but that is unrealistic.

I fully acknowledge that I am not going to be the one who convinces people of this, but someone, maybe a medical doctor or something, needs to come on these boards and explain that Aprazolam (Xanax) is NOT an opiate.  It is for panic attacks and anxiety.  It has nothing to do with the heroin epidemic.  People taking that leap are confusing it with Oxycodone, which is a narcotic pain killer (that has a LOT to do with the heroin epidemic).  Xanax makes you chill out and (in most cases) fall asleep easily.  I have a prescription for when I fly, since I get panic attacks and am claustrophobic on long flights.  I have NEVER gotten a prescription for narcotic pain killers other than immediately following a surgery, and the doctors were extremely stingy and wanted me to switch to Ibuprofen as soon as I could.  Apples and oranges, people.

That being said, Xanax does not play nice with alcohol, which is probably a major concern on a college campus where binge drinking and drug use are rampant.  Xanax is great on its own for its intended purpose (as is booze, if I'm being honest), but you don't mix the two.

Thanks Konquest - that does help clear up some of the nonsense.

As to the rest of the thread - it would be wise to wait until we have the facts available to speak intelligently on this topic.

(Not that this will, or ever has, stopped folks from speaking ignorantly about topics in silly posts that are mostly bickering.) 

Guest Kingsland

I fully acknowledge that I am not going to be the one who convinces people of this, but someone, maybe a medical doctor or something, needs to come on these boards and explain that Aprazolam (Xanax) is NOT an opiate. It is for panic attacks and anxiety. It has nothing to do with the heroin epidemic. People taking that leap are confusing it with Oxycodone, which is a narcotic pain killer (that has a LOT to do with the heroin epidemic). Xanax makes you chill out and (in most cases) fall asleep easily. I have a prescription for when I fly, since I get panic attacks and am claustrophobic on long flights. I have NEVER gotten a prescription for narcotic pain killers other than immediately following a surgery, and the doctors were extremely stingy and wanted me to switch to Ibuprofen as soon as I could. Apples and oranges, people.

That being said, Xanax does not play nice with alcohol, which is probably a major concern on a college campus where binge drinking and drug use are rampant. Xanax is great on its own for its intended purpose (as is booze, if I'm being honest), but you don't mix the two.

The kids purchasing Xanax in college aren't doing so for anxiety purposes. They're doing it to get "barred out" and f'd up. Like you said mixing it with alcohol is a big issue too. Even if it's just one or two beers, it turns you into little more than a slug person incapable of human communication. Not a pretty sight.

often times kids who don't want to drink a lot but still get F'd up will take a bar and either some shots or a few beers. This could be beneficial to wrestlers who cant consume a lot of liquid due to its weight. So they will take a bar/stick/green monster/hulk (slang for xanax. and only 1-2 drinks so they don't get too heavy. People often put several xanax in wine in order to make "xine" 

Xanax and Klonopin type drugs are benzodiazepines that are great for short term panic disorders but basically mimic what alcohol does in some parts of the body... we even give long acting benzo's for alcohol withdrawal. When combined with alcohol it causes memory loss, faster intoxication, increased risk of death, etc. 

So yes, it is extremely dangerous to take these while partying.