TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

Not at all. It isn't really a wrestling issue to me. I wish these things would never even crop up, but that is unrealistic.

It is totally amazing how any PSU fan would be posting on JR after what happen at their school. Everybody over their was saying "you don't have all the fact so wait and see because Joe P would never do something like not tell the authorities what was going on. He knew for years and let that **** go on! JR tried stopping what was going on (and did stop it) while Joe P didn't, even allowed him to be around kids on campus. JR is a good guy trying to do the right thing for the wrestlers and families. Joe P was just trying to do what was best for him,  so he can get the all time win record.

Agree with you're perspective on JRob - but nothing credible exists to support your Paterno view. I'll wait for the Curley, Schultz, Spanier trials to see if any solid evidence exists that Paterno believed Sandusky to be a predator. Hard evidence may exist but the circumstantial evidence is stacked toward him not believing it. I'll wait before I jump on either of the hate bandwagons. Too many testimonials of character and ethics exist for both before I throw either under a bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you're perspective on JRob - but nothing credible exists to support your Paterno view. I'll wait for the Curley, Schultz, Spanier trials to see if any solid evidence exists that Paterno believed Sandusky to be a predator. Hard evidence may exist but the circumstantial evidence is stacked toward him not believing it. I'll wait before I jump on either of the hate bandwagons. Too many testimonials of character and ethics exist for both before I throw either under a bus.

Paterno reported it upward. Curley recommended that child welfare NOT be notified, in favor of urging Sandusky to get help.

This was  Graham Spanier's response:

“This approach is acceptable to me. The only downside for us is if the message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road. The approach you outline is humane and a reasonable way to proceed.”

Spanier's response was both legally and morally criminal. And not humane for the children.

As far as we know, Paterno was legal. BUT, the moral indictment of not "forcing the issue", once nothing had been done, seems a legitimate issue. 

Coaches, professional colleagues and neighbors, family etc - people who have come forward and supplied their names - have indicated that Paterno did not believe Sandusky to be a predator. Names of people who dealt with Paterno and claim he knew? (Crickets) I'll wait for the trial thanks. Right now 20-20 hindsight can say Paterno was naive, unaware, in denial and so on. Until proof emerges to counter the tons of evidence that he did not believe I see it most probably as an awareness not moral issue. I will not be part of the lynch party ... I understand that many disregard contrary evidence and adopt the Freeh narrative as the only one that exists. That's an obstacle for jury selection too - hard to find open minded people.

It is totally amazing how any PSU fan would be posting on JR after what happen at their school. Everybody over their was saying "you don't have all the fact so wait and see because Joe P would never do something like not tell the authorities what was going on. He knew for years and let that **** go on! JR tried stopping what was going on (and did stop it) while Joe P didn't, even allowed him to be around kids on campus. JR is a good guy trying to do the right thing for the wrestlers and families. Joe P was just trying to do what was best for him,  so he can get the all time win record.

We should let the process play out before making any judgements about JRob.   Paterno didn't like Sandusky for years, and didn't want him on campus...and there was no football related cover-up...we KNOW this now.  The problem at Penn State was that the higher ups were only too happy to throw Paterno under the bus.  The 'why' is the big question as the bigwigs knew Joe was ill and on his way out after the season.  I can almost guarantee one thing, the UM bigwigs will do a better job with this than PSU's did.  I think most who really care and follow PSU now generally and strongly suspect some shenanigans from the higher ups...which I think is actually worse for PSU because that WOULD make it an institution-wide problem...and not a football problem. So, lets wait and see and NOT be like those @$$h0les at Deadspin.

Edited by PANewbie

Really, covering up drug dealing on campus is peanuts?? So what would it have taken, disposal of a body for JRob to be considered wrong in your eyes? You "not so bad" and "wait and see" guys need to get a grip, this is serious enough to be reported on by The Washington Post and ESPN, this isn't going away and Jrob will not survive. Furthermore, trying to distract from the issue by bringing up the Penn State scandal isn't going to change that.   

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Dispose of a body?!  Holy smokes, are you hyperbolic much?  JRob would have had to do something wrong for it to be wrong in my eyes.   I also see it is a serious situation for Minnesota and JRob will be removed. 100% agree that the Penn State scandal has nothing to do with this.

There is a difference between ethical and legal. JRob most probably was acting according to his ethics; my uninformed take is that he thought he could set some lives straight without escalating the issue to the police and possibly doing more harm then good. Unless you live in a police state and adhere to the principle that all crimes must be reported, whether you witness them, hear about them, or suspect through your extrasensory abilities, we have traditionally exercised some discretion in handling things off-line and often to good effect. Legally and administratively JRob's code of ethics may get him in trouble, but if he is willing to put his job on the line to follow his internal code of ethics, so be it. Individual conscience matters. Now if his sole motivation was to protect the program (cover-up) that a different story. And unlike those who have some supernatural power to look into the minds of people ("he knew what a creep Sandusky was in 1976"), I don't claim any such ability. As with Paterno, I have to go by JRob's past actions; ethical, principled and honorable.

Editorial today in Star Tribune calling for J Rob to resign. They threw the dreaded "cover up" card.

Today? Are you referring to the opinion piece of sports writer Reusse from a couple days ago? So in fact it still resides on the Star Tribune today? Or is there a new editorial I'm not finding? Edited by headshuck

Paterno knew what a creep Sandusky was in 1976. I hope folks aren't trying to equate these two.  What happened at Penn State was unsettling to the entire sports community.  It was sick and disturbing.  This is peanuts

Regarding Paterno, proof (or lack thereof in this case) says otherwise...and if you want to be factual almost all of Sandusky's crimes were committed off campus...AND he used his own charity to line up his targets.

Sandusky's crime against society's most vulnerable is the most heinous thing one can do.   Dealing drugs is way up there though.

PSU, Minnesota, Baylor, ND, UNC, UVA, Michigan, Colorado, Montana, Eastern Michigan, ...if you think there isn't some sort of ticking time bomb on your own campus, you're blind, ignorant or just plain effin stupid.

Edited by PANewbie

Today? Are you referring to the opinion piece of sports writer Reusse from a couple days ago? So in fact it still resides on the Star Tribune today? Or is there a new editorial I'm not finding?

That is the one. It remains on their website today. Thanks for the clarification.

did anyone see the movie Spotlight? won the academy award for best picture? anyway, at some point Hollywood is going to do a Spotlight type of movie about Sandusky and Paterno will be playing the part of Cardinal Law.

If "Spotlight" reminded you of the PSU scandal, you either slept the movie or don't understand the allegations against Paterno. What Law did was many orders of magnitude worse than anything Paterno was even accused of.

Again, I hope people aren't in any way trying to find a moral equivalence between what Paterno did and what JRob did.   No supernatural powers here, I read that in an article sometime ago about the ongoing civil trial with PSU and its insurance carriers

I enjoyed the article about JRob in the tribune. His legacy won't be tarnished by this.

I read that article when it appeared and understood the context of the assertions - insurance companies fishing for a basis to avoid payouts.

We are asked to accept that a child reports crimes to a division one coach. Not to police, not to his parents, not to a teacher or anyone else. No cross examination, no confirmation of fact, no names, no credibility. I'm not gullible or psychic- It could be true, but on its face doesn't meet any reasonable smell test. I'll wait to see if prosecutors produce the witness at the conspiracy trial before accepting that it is even a credible accusation much less a "fact". I understand that some people accept it and state it as fact, but I've never found it wise to believe everything one reads on the Internet or the ny times.

If "Spotlight" reminded you of the PSU scandal, you either slept the movie or don't understand the allegations against Paterno. What Law did was many orders of magnitude worse than anything Paterno was even accused of.

"Spotlight" indeed reminds me of the "Sandusky Scandal". the "JoePa" defenders remind me of the "Cardinal Law" defenders. both incidents are very sad for many different reasons. 

These are emotional issues - many will hate Jopa through guilt by association. It's the same mentality that enabled lynchings and vigilante "justice". You cannot reason with people whose judgement has been seriously clouded by prejudice. Wild correlations will be made. As in the case with JRob, some are simply wired to assume the worst. The pessimists may end up being right, but never expect them to be prudent and wait for facts to justify their condemnations.

Really, covering up drug dealing on campus is peanuts?? So what would it have taken, disposal of a body for JRob to be considered wrong in your eyes? You "not so bad" and "wait and see" guys need to get a grip, this is serious enough to be reported on by The Washington Post and ESPN, this isn't going away and Jrob will not survive. Furthermore, trying to distract from the issue by bringing up the Penn State scandal isn't going to change that.

They were selling Xanax. Calm down. It isn't heroine.

What they did was not OK, but this isn't some huge drug ring. The kids were dumb, the sellers should be kicked off the team, jRob should be punished, but this isn't anywhere near child rape.

I read an article that stated there were 125,000 ER visits last year due to Xanax. Another article I read last week stated there were 6500 deaths last year attributable to Xanax. It may not be Heroin, but it is still lethal to many, many people when not taken properly. 

103,000 hospitalizations and roughly 16,000 deaths per year result from use of the following:

• Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin).

• Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn).
• Indomethacin (Indocin).
• Ketoprofen (Orudis).
• Piroxicam (Feldene).

I would relate Xanax much more closely to the above "over the counter drugs" than I would heroine.  And it isn't remotely close...........

They were selling Xanax. Calm down. It isn't heroine.

What they did was not OK, but this isn't some huge drug ring. The kids were dumb, the sellers should be kicked off the team, jRob should be punished, but this isn't anywhere near child rape.

You should wait until the entire story comes out.