TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

So from J Rob's statement he went to his supervisor and the AD, to me that changes things quite a bit.

I agree. From the start, I thought the fact that there were drug tests conducted showed that the University was involved. I found it hard to believe that a coach would conduct drug tests outside of the University. Now it seems like the University was in fact a part of the drug test order.

It seems as though the University was aware of the situation and was working on it.

Not sure if the informant on the wrestling team assumed that nothing was going on so he went out on his own or if he just had an axe to grind and went to the media to throw the program under the bus.

The whole way the story made it's way to the media was perplexing.

Either way, 

our tolerance as a society to illegal drugs in general (starting with pot) has led to the modern drug culture.

It continues to get uglier as people disconnect from family life more often and become socially dependent on devices instead of human interaction.

"Xanax, at least it's not Heroin" T-shirts on sale coming soon

Either way, 

our tolerance as a society to illegal drugs in general (starting with pot) has led to the modern drug culture.

It continues to get uglier as people disconnect from family life more often and become socially dependent on devices instead of human interaction.

I don't think ANYONE is saying it's ok.  It is, however, simple logic that Xanax doesn't compare to heroin.  It's kind of like punching someone in the face and hitting them in the face with a baseball bat.  Neither are tolerable.  One of them, however, is considerably more extreme!

Guest Kingsland

Either way,

Considering that the US has the world's largest prison population; a huge chunk of which are in there for nonviolent drug offenses, I'd say our society is pretty tough on drugs and drug users. I'd say big pharma is more so to blame for increased perscription drug abuse rather than our society becoming more tolerant of pot. Edited by Kingsland

How long till people say " It's just heroin."

Things need to change or it will only get worse.

Anyone that says it is just heroin, is simply uninformed.  I have already lost 3 people from my High School class to heroin by the age of 35.  Heroin is 2 to 4 times more potent than morphine.  It's potency alone ranks it as one of the most dangerous drugs known to man and that doesn't even include the hazards of intravenous injection or freebasing.

Let me clearly state that selling Xanax is a crime and all involved should be held accountable to every guideline.  I simply cringe when anyone tries to remotely use Xanax and Heroin in the same conversation!

Though they might not be on the same level as far as illegal drugs go:

An illegal drug is an illegal drug. Bad is bad and when the whole story comes out I hope everyone involved learns something and can make the best of what (right now) seems to be a pretty bad situation all around.

Yes, I know its legal with a prescription.

Edited by unbiased

Anyone that says it is just heroin, is simply uninformed.  I have already lost 3 people from my High School class to heroin by the age of 35.  Heroin is 2 to 4 times more potent than morphine.  It's potency alone ranks it as one of the most dangerous drugs known to man and that doesn't even include the hazards of intravenous injection or freebasing.

Let me clearly state that selling Xanax is a crime and all involved should be held accountable to every guideline.  I simply cringe when anyone tries to remotely use Xanax and Heroin in the same conversation!

Either one can kill you so there are going to be times when using them in the same sentence actually makes sense. This is not an either/or issue. 

Is it less likely a Minnesota wrestler dealing Xanax by the pill is going to see someone end up dead due to his selling than compared to if he sold them heroin? Sure. But it still IS possible that it could lead to someone's death or other health consequences, which is why selling it without a license remains illegal. 

Though they might not be on the same level as far as illegal drugs go:

An illegal drug is an illegal drug. Bad is bad and when the whole story comes out I hope everyone involved learns something and can make the best of what (right now) seems to be a pretty bad situation all around.

Yes, I know its legal with a prescription.

A can of Budweiser is an illegal drug to at least half of most college teams.

Edited by MNRodent

Either one can kill you so there are going to be times when using them in the same sentence actually makes sense. This is not an either/or issue. 

Is it less likely a Minnesota wrestler dealing Xanax by the pill is going to see someone end up dead due to his selling than compared to if he sold them heroin? Sure. But it still IS possible that it could lead to someone's death or other health consequences, which is why selling it without a license remains illegal. 

The argument isn't whether or not it was wrong, or even severely wrong.  The argument is comparing the severity of the 2.  This is why I used, what I thought was, a very fitting analogy.  Punching someone can do serious harm, but it doesn't take much brain power to realize it isn't remotely as dangerous or egregious as using a baseball bat, stabbing or even shooting.  Selling Xanax compared to selling Heroin is the equivalent(to me) of punching someone in the face versus hitting them with a baseball bat or even stabbing or shooting them.  They both have the capability of doing considerable harm but one group has a MUCH higher likelihood of doing so.

As such, the punishments should fit the severity of the inherent danger.  I don't believe anyone is saying it should be taken lightly.  I just don't think it is remotely at the same level of the serious narcotics like cocaine, crack or especially heroin!

Edited by MSU158

As someone who spent my summers at 28 day intensive and love the gopher program.

As someone who has great familiarity with the drug and its effects. Realize Xanax is the gateway to the heroin epidemic in this country.

It is VERY important to note, this happens at every university in the country, but the fact it was a University Team and the head coach handled it extremely poorly in house. Just like Paterno, and more recently Briles at Baylor they are the leaders of the program this falls on their shoulders

JROB HAS TO GO. Not only did he not go proper authorities, but he didnt even go campus authorities (even though most of the time they don’t do squat)

No if ands or buts I am sorry he HAS to go.

My favorite sports personality is Colin Cowherd and he just said this in his May 26th Podcast and has said it in his past. "I dont get scared if my car breaks down in NYC, LA, Boston, I get nervous when my car breaks down in the middle of a dirt road in a Fly over state." Realize where all these cover ups take place. Happy Valley, Waco Texas (Briles), Jamies Winston in Tallahasse Florida. When you're in "God and Guns" area of the country is where these issues typical take place. Willie Saylor even stated he had no idea that this was an issue in Society. LIKE WHAT? Im dumb founded at this. 

How could J try to handle this situation in house, after seeing paterno getting dismantled did he think he would be invincible?

I am ready to retract my statement, based on his agents communication. It is starting that JROB did inform his higher ups and did not try to sweep it under the rub himself.The only thing that is still up in the air is WHEN did JROB inform his higher ups. I hope it wasnt after the source already went to the authorities

Timeline according to press release

1. J becomes suspicious of drug use on his team and informs admin of his intent to test

2. Testing form is executed and athletes are tested, but not for Xanax

3. J receives school drug policy in an email

Then what happened? Did he take possession of 1,400 Xanax pills and unlawfully dispose of them? If so, did he at least tell his admin what he was up to? Is the University actually hiding something as is implied by the press release?

The last sentence ends with, "...balanced coverage by the media of all facts is required," but this release doesn't really give any facts beyond what is listed above. 

Finally, this whole document could use a good editor.

The argument isn't whether or not it was wrong, or even severely wrong.  The argument is comparing the severity of the 2.  This is why I used, what I thought was, a very fitting analogy.  Punching someone can do serious harm, but it doesn't take much brain power to realize it isn't remotely as dangerous or egregious as using a baseball bat, stabbing or even shooting.  Selling Xanax compared to selling Heroin is the equivalent(to me) of punching someone in the face versus hitting them with a baseball bat or even stabbing or shooting them.  They both have the capability of doing considerable harm but one group has a MUCH higher likelihood of doing so.

As such, the punishments should fit the severity of the inherent danger.  I don't believe anyone is saying it should be taken lightly.  I just don't think it is remotely at the same level of the serious narcotics like cocaine, crack or especially heroin!

The argument here in this story is whether or not J Rob took the correct actions as head wrestling coach at Minnesota. It isn't heroin or crack, but it is still a potentially lethal drug when administered/taken improperly and given these wrestlers were dealing it out by the thousands of pills then the potential danger escalates to a high level. 

The argument here in this story is whether or not J Rob took the correct actions as head wrestling coach at Minnesota. It isn't heroin or crack, but it is still a potentially lethal drug when administered/taken improperly and given these wrestlers were dealing it out by the thousands of pills then the potential danger escalates to a high level.

I wasn't arguing ANYTHING other than the fact that selling Xanax doesn't remotely compare to selling the more extreme drugs and should be treated as such.  Hell, I even showed a stat where more people die from improper usage of over the counter drugs like aleve and motrin.

This a crime and should be treated as such.  Regardless of many people's perceptions of Xanax, they broke the law.  I just have a hard time when people try to even remotely compare Xanax to the drugs I listed.

As far as J. Rob goes, NONE of us has enough info to even remotely judge his actions..............

Edited to add the FDA's view point on prescription drugs:

Definition Examples

Schedule I---------------------------Heroin is in this category

Highest addiction risk

No accepted medical use

There are no prescription drugs classified as Schedule I substances.

Schedule II

High risk of abuse

High risk of physical and psychological addiction

oxycodone (OxyContin, Percocet), fentanyl, meperidine (Demerol), methadone (Dolophine), hydromorphone (Dilaudid)

Schedule III

Risk of abuse

Moderate or low risk of physical dependence, high risk of psychological dependence

Combination drugs containing less than 15% hydrocodone (Vicodin), not more than 90 mg. of codeine (Tylenol with Codeine), buprenorphine (Suboxone), ketamine, anabolic steroids

Schedule IV

Low potential for abuse

alprazolam (Xanax), carisoprodol (Soma), clonazepam (Klonopin), clorazepate (Tanxene), diazepam (Valium) lorazepam (Ativan), Rohypnol, sleep medications

Schedule V

Low risk of abuse

Cough medicines containing no more than 200 mg of codeine per 100 ml

Edited by MSU158

Anyone that says it is just heroin, is simply uninformed. I have already lost 3 people from my High School class to heroin by the age of 35. Heroin is 2 to 4 times more potent than morphine. It's potency alone ranks it as one of the most dangerous drugs known to man and that doesn't even include the hazards of intravenous injection or freebasing.

Let me clearly state that selling Xanax is a crime and all involved should be held accountable to every guideline. I simply cringe when anyone tries to remotely use Xanax and Heroin in the same conversation!

Exactly. This argument is ridiculous. I didn't think I was making a controversial statement by implying that selling heroine is worse than selling Xanax.

Unfortunately I am not. With what the world accepts these days and the direction we seem to be headed I hope that day never comes.

I agree but illegal is still illegal. I'm in no way saying that one crime should be punished exactly the same as the next (that is for the judicial system to decide.) What I am saying is the punishment should fit the crime and if there was a crime committed here then all parties should accept the consequences of their actions.

Unfortunately I am not. With what the world accepts these days and the direction we seem to be headed I hope that day never comes.

I agree but illegal is still illegal. I'm in no way saying that one crime should be punished exactly the same as the next (that is for the judicial system to decide.) What I am saying is the punishment should fit the crime and if there was a crime committed here then all parties should accept the consequences of their actions.

Im not saying they shouldn't be punished. I'm saying that this is not a big deal. A few kids should be kicked off the team and if JRob didn't report t correctly he should be punished, but I highly doubt any major criminal charges come out of This against JRob. Maybe the kids will get a slap on the wrist from the justice system I would guess. We will see what they decide to pursue.

I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you.  They should be held accountable for any and all wrongdoing by the letter of the law.  I simply think there is a WIDE gap between what people think the punishments should be.............