TBar1977

There is a lot going on with this story

I don't think J Rob should go to jail. I have seen people post that on some msg. boards, but that is way over the top. Should  Minnesota punish him? If he knew about the dealing and didn't report it, then yeah. 

Edited by TBar1977

I agree but this seems to warrant more than a slap on the wrist punishment. Regardless of the punishment it all boils down to what kind of men these guys become after the verdict is decided and if it helps deter them from a second offense of the same likeness (if there are charges of any sort.)

I agree but this seems to warrant more than a slap on the wrist punishment. Regardless of the punishment it all boils down to what kind of men these guys become after the verdict is decided and if it helps deter them from a second offense of the same likeness (if there are charges of any sort.)

The severity of a punishment does not guarantee determent.  In fact, in many cases, it inevitably creates a repeat offender.  I don't think that applies in this case, but a convicted felon often has a very limited job market.  When facing a minimum wage job versus a very high paying illegal drug dealing racket, it is easy to see why many choose the latter.  Doesn't make it right.  It simply happens.......

To me, the central issue is if J Rob actually had confiscated pills in his possession and destroyed the evidence.  Suspecting guys of doing/selling dope is one matter, and calling them in and reading the riot act is fitting behavior for a coach.  Actually being in possession of over a 1,000 pills (if this is accurate) and not turning the pills over to authorities and not notifying authorities who gave you the pills moves the behavior into the realm of the unacceptable.  If (and to me that still has to be proven) he had the dope and "got rid" of it, that's cause for dismissal.  Just no excuse for that course of action.  Let's hear some facts on this part of the incident.

PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date May 30, 2016

RE: University of Minnesota Head Wrestling Coach J Paul Robinson

Last Tuesday, May 24th KMSP aired during their late evening news a report concerning University of Minnesota wrestlers’ alleged drug use and alleged drug sales.

On Thursday, May 26th a number of newspaper stories picked up the television report advancing more specific anonymously sourced allegations against Coach Robinson.

The media coverage to date appears to be a self-circulating story based on one, anonymous source; blather from anonymous sources and a media environment that disperses what it wants to be true rather than what actually is true is troubling.

In late February / early March, Coach Robinson became suspicious members of the University of Minnesota wrestling team were using drugs.

Pursuant to University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics policy Coach Robinson notified his direct supervisor within the Athletic Department of his concerns. Coach Robinson specifically notified the interim Athletic Department Director as well, and of his desire to have specific wrestlers tested.

Coach Robinson was instructed he needed to complete a ‘testing form’ (i.e., The University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics Alcohol and Drug Testing Reasonable Suspicion Reporting Form) before requesting the testing of student athletes.

The ‘reasonable suspicion’ form was completed, and testing of student athletes took place on or about Monday, March 21st.

It was on March 25th the interim Athletic Director sent Coach Robinson the 2016 University of Minnesota Drug and Alcohol Policy in twenty pages via email.

The ‘Drug and Alcohol Policy’ states: “Any student-athlete who identifies him/herself as having a substance abuse problem may self-refer to the Department of Athletic Medicine to be entered into a Safe Harbor program pending approval of the Review Board.”

Coach Robinson specifically informed the University through multiple channels of his knowledge of the situation. The University did not test the student athletes for Xanax.

Coach Robinson informed University staff of his specific concerns. As a result there are electronic communications between University employees within the University’s control on these issues.

The University has now been placed on written notice the communications and electronically stored data in its control may not be damaged, altered and/or destroyed and must be available for future dissemination.

As of this date no specific person or identifiable employee of the University has made a statement of fact that can be corroborated.The University has been asked to test athletes, has tested athletes and has not disclosed this fact or seemingly instructed its employee on how to deal with the consequences of its testing results and/or the serious allegations being advanced in the media by an anonymous wrestler.

Coach Robinson has earned respect over the past thirty years as one of the most honorable, loyal and successful coaches in University history.

Coach Robinson’s accomplishments and loyalty to the University, to his teams, to the hundreds of student athletes he has coached, and to his fans, and detractors, would seem to be lost at this time. Fairness and appropriate disclosures by the University are at issue, and balanced coverage by the media of all facts is required.

To me, the central issue is if J Rob actually had confiscated pills in his possession and destroyed the evidence.  Suspecting guys of doing/selling dope is one matter, and calling them in and reading the riot act is fitting behavior for a coach.  Actually being in possession of over a 1,000 pills (if this is accurate) and not turning the pills over to authorities and not notifying authorities who gave you the pills moves the behavior into the realm of the unacceptable.  If (and to me that still has to be proven) he had the dope and "got rid" of it, that's cause for dismissal.  Just no excuse for that course of action.  Let's hear some facts on this part of the incident.

This isi my concern as well.    There's a drug dealing ring on campus and on the team specifically.  This is the type of thing people go to prison for, for years.   J Rob chooses to take possession of the drugs, makes them disappear and then keeps this from law enforcement.    That's destruction of evidence in addition to possession of controlled substance, and in those amounts, almost certainly, possession with intent to distribute.   I doubt JRob took them so he could sell them and profit, but he did take them and now they're unaccounted for. 

To be clear, I'm on the side of JRob having done the right thing, morally.   This solidifies even more to me, he's a good guy.   But it's illegal and it's incredible irresponsible.  This is NO different than me going out and strong arming drug dealers in my community (making them write an essay while I'm at it) and then taking possession of the drugs, to do with what I see fit.   You me and everyone else in this scenario would be headed to prison.    I sincerely hope that' s not what happens to JRob, but it should be .   

This isi my concern as well.    There's a drug dealing ring on campus and on the team specifically.  This is the type of thing people go to prison for, for years.   J Rob chooses to take possession of the drugs, makes them disappear and then keeps this from law enforcement.    That's destruction of evidence in addition to possession of controlled substance, and in those amounts, almost certainly, possession with intent to distribute.   I doubt JRob took them so he could sell them and profit, but he did take them and now they're unaccounted for. 

To be clear, I'm on the side of JRob having done the right thing, morally.   This solidifies even more to me, he's a good guy.   But it's illegal and it's incredible irresponsible.  This is NO different than me going out and strong arming drug dealers in my community (making them write an essay while I'm at it) and then taking possession of the drugs, to do with what I see fit.   You me and everyone else in this scenario would be headed to prison.    I sincerely hope that' s not what happens to JRob, but it should be .   

Agree, 100 percent....He did the right things by his guys, but....

An earlier quote attributed to Robinson referred to it being all "data practices at this point". I took that to mean that his hands are tied as far as what he can say about the matter at this time.

My interpretation of the press release from his agent is that they are frustrated that the administration is letting him dangle in the breeze without any backup support.

This isi my concern as well. There's a drug dealing ring on campus and on the team specifically. This is the type of thing people go to prison for, for years. J Rob chooses to take possession of the drugs, makes them disappear and then keeps this from law enforcement. That's destruction of evidence in addition to possession of controlled substance, and in those amounts, almost certainly, possession with intent to distribute. I doubt JRob took them so he could sell them and profit, but he did take them and now they're unaccounted for.

To be clear, I'm on the side of JRob having done the right thing, morally. This solidifies even more to me, he's a good guy. But it's illegal and it's incredible irresponsible. This is NO different than me going out and strong arming drug dealers in my community (making them write an essay while I'm at it) and then taking possession of the drugs, to do with what I see fit. You me and everyone else in this scenario would be headed to prison. I sincerely hope that' s not what happens to JRob, but it should be .

Where are you getting this information that he took them and they are unaccounted for? Who said that? From an unnamed source? The source that "knows for a fact" there were 1400 given to J Rob and the rest thrown in the river? The only way he would know for a fact is if he was present and counted them when they allegedly turned them in..and also if he was there when they threw them in the river .....if that's the case he wouldn't have the need to be unnamed...anything other than that is just heresay. Holds the same amount of credibility as most of the opinions on this forum. What would be J Rob's motive for doing this? To jeopardize his career to save a few kids so team can be competitive ? There is always a little bit of truth to any story but overall, this one just doesn't pass the smell test.

Where are you getting this information that he took them and they are unaccounted for? Who said that? From an unnamed source? The source that "knows for a fact" there were 1400 given to J Rob and the rest thrown in the river? The only way he would know for a fact is if he was present and counted them when they allegedly turned them in..and also if he was there when they threw them in the river .....if that's the case he wouldn't have the need to be unnamed...anything other than that is just heresay. Holds the same amount of credibility as most of the opinions on this forum. What would be J Rob's motive for doing this? To jeopardize his career to save a few kids so team can be competitive ? There is always a little bit of truth to any story but overall, this one just doesn't pass the smell test.

I'm hearing it from a Minnesota grad who was a member of  the team.   

J Rob has given so much to this sport I hope this situation doesn't take him down completely... what he did was wrong but in my mind I find it hard to believe people in the wrestling community won't take his service and dedication into account before handing out harsh judgement. 

J Rob has given so much to this sport I hope this situation doesn't take him down completely... what he did was wrong but in my mind I find it hard to believe people in the wrestling community won't take his service and dedication into account before handing out harsh judgement. 

I'm not sure he needs to worry about those in the wrestling community.   JRob needs to worry about his career and what law enforcement may have to  say about his actions.     Do you think you'd get off without being fired or charged if you did what's being said about him?   Lets just be glad he has a TON of pull in Minnesota, and he may be given a break, where other might be facing prison time.    

What would be J Rob's motive for doing this? To jeopardize his career to save a few kids so team can be competitive ? There is always a little bit of truth to any story but overall, this one just doesn't pass the smell test.

If true, I thought it was pretty clear that the motive would've been an attempt to protect the kids from having a criminal record, not to just stay on the team. Obviously it seems dumb now if that is what happened but I'm sure he thought no one else would find out...

Coach - You're right. The "if this is accurate" and "still has to be proven" are important parts here.

Redblades also has it right - "So many assertions, so little facts...."       

Waiting for the facts is probably the best approach here - then we can post intelligently about the topic.

Edited by rstrong