KTG119

Howe to Northwestern

Mark Cody is a disaster

Well I'd say moving Howe back close to home and right by where he cut his teeth training at Overtime isn't exactly a sign of Cody losing it. Especially if he's considering stepping back from international competition. Plus, Howe was a late move in after Wisconsin more than he was a pure Cody guy. You could possibly point out a few other indicators of Cody struggling, but not so much the Howe move.

Edited by MadMardigain

Jeez, the guy certainly does get around. Way back in the day….coaches and A Ds, figured that transfer/travelin wrestlers were some semblance of a 'risk'. As in, inheriting the problems that others had with the wrestler in question.

Not necessarily saying that this is the case with Andrew. I think that he is one of the tough guys in our sport. Although, he does get around a bit.

Well I'd say moving Howe back close to home and right by where he cut his teeth training at Overtime isn't exactly a sign of Cody losing it. Especially if he's considering stepping back from international competition. Plus, Howe was a late move in after Wisconsin more than he was a pure Cody guy. You could possibly point out a few other indicators of Cody struggling, but not so much the Howe move.

Mark Cody is a disaster.

Jeez, the guy certainly does get around. Way back in the day….coaches and A Ds, figured that transfer/travelin wrestlers were some semblance of a 'risk'. As in, inheriting the problems that others had with the wrestler in question.

Not necessarily saying that this is the case with Andrew. I think that he is one of the tough guys in our sport. Although, he does get around a bit.

So by your take he should have stayed at Oklahoma for the rest of his life.

Moving back closer to home and possibly getting a pay raise isn't a bad thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Howe spent three years ('09, '10, '11) at Wisconsin, one year training for the 2012 Olympics at Michigan, and four years ('13, '14, '15, '16) at Oklahoma, right?

That does not strike me as someone that moves around too much.

So by your take he should have stayed at Oklahoma for the rest of his life.

Moving back closer to home and possibly getting a pay raise isn't a bad thing.

Come on B D, you know that I did not say (or even think) that Howe has made bad choices. In fact, his record indicates that he has made some decent life choices. Think that I wrote…. "not necessarily the case with Andrew". Cool your jets.

Talking about those wrestlers ("especially back in the day/days") that were troubled guys, and wound up for whatever reason- transferring. Only to bring their unresolved problems along with them.

Dare I make a list ? Methinks not. Howevahh, do you recall, or know of,  a guy that racked up 17 points in his D-1 finals bout ? Only to discover the fun of 'campus bars'? And the beat goes on.

Come on B D, you know that I did not say (or even think) that Howe has made bad choices. In fact, his record indicates that he has made some decent life choices. Think that I wrote…. "not necessarily the case with Andrew". Cool your jets.

Talking about those wrestlers ("especially back in the day/days") that were troubled guys, and wound up for whatever reason- transferring. Only to bring their unresolved problems along with them.

Dare I make a list ? Methinks not. Howevahh, do you recall, or know of,  a guy that racked up 17 points in his D-1 finals bout ? Only to discover the fun of 'campus bars'? And the beat goes on.

Then why bring it up on a thread about Andrew Howe? You were very much insinuating he's a travelin' man and basically no good.

I  suppose that you are correct BD. I should know better. Will check out my content more closely, prior to clicking on the Post button. With particular focus on sticking to the topic at hand. 

Although, "basically no good" you say. Where in the world did you find that ?

Oh my. Now I can see that you are simply  pulling my chain. I am sort of slow. But I do -eventually- catch on.

I'm sorry BD.

There's an old 18th century expression "to put down roots," or get a job and keep it til you retire.

We aren't vegetation. Humans are mobile and choosey. There's this idea that moving around is a sign of incompetence. Maybe or maybe not. Sometimes a guy has to find a good fit where he feels comfortable. Word gets around quick. You have to be more than a great wrestler to fit in. Henson made the rounds and finally got what he wanted. It's all that, plus the power to motivate is real big,

More exciting news for NU Wrestling: the university just announced that Welsh-Ryan Arena will be undergoing a long overdue $110M renovation starting at the end of next wrestling/basketball season. The new arena will be ready in time for the 2018 wrestling season. The upgraded venue will hopefully bolster Midlands attendance as well. :)

Sounds like Northwestern is really stepping up to the plate big time. Makes me that much more curious to know what happened with the firing of their previous head coach. Either way, with a new facility, Andrew Howe + Cody Brewer makes for a big draw. Cody and Howe are still young enough to scrap and have a lot to add to a program IMO.

More exciting news for NU Wrestling: the university just announced that Welsh-Ryan Arena will be undergoing a long overdue $110M renovation starting at the end of next wrestling/basketball season. The new arena will be ready in time for the 2018 wrestling season. The upgraded venue will hopefully bolster Midlands attendance as well. :)

$110M renovation on a college arena just seems wrong.  Maybe they recoup the costs with increased attendance, but man that would pay for a lot of research grants, Professors, academic scholarships, etc.

Not sure if NU is public or private, but at most public universities this type of renovation is funded by private donors.

Yes, it is possible that the donations could be made to academics instead, but if the funds were donated to renovate the arena, they can't be used for anything else.