Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Russian Nationals steam!

I'm going to need one of the more seasoned freestyle gurus to explain ANY of those calls, including the video review.  That looked like a straight up conspiracy to have Lebedev win to me. 

That looked like every Lebedev match I've ever seen.  He always does just enough to win.

The ref seemed like he was philosophically opposed to giving one point on the edge of the mat - lots of weird calls both ways.  I'm guessing they felt like Lebedev's foot was only on the edge of the out of bounds line on the review.  The shot clock at the end of the match is probably close to how the shot clocks are supposed to be called, which is why I hate shot clocks.  It's reminiscent of how stalling calls go against the man with the lead in folkstyle.  I remember that Stan Dziedzic's idea was that the shot clock could be reversed to go the other way if the opponent stalled during the clock -- but I've never seen that happen.

Pretty bad, though not even close to the worst Lebedev gift we've seen.  No way going OOB in a quadpod is 2, and I'm sure he wouldn't have challenged if he knew the scales were tipped for Lebedev.  I can't tell if Mus had that TD on the edge or not, but the last shot clock is an absurd way to end the match when Lebedev was backing out, even if he did snap Mus down five times he definitely wasn't trying to score.

To me that was beyond terrible, ESPECIALLY when you factor in the video review. 

Pretty bad, though not even close to the worst Lebedev gift we've seen. 

What was then?  Bonne match was bad and I was there, but to me this is easily worse. 

I'm guessing something serious happened? Still no wrestling.

The steams were going great!

Streams are still up, but after that match the Dagestan team has boycotted due to the results of the match. 

Have there been any other really outstanding matches that we can go back and watch while this gets resolved?

Most of Mat A was pretty enjoyable, Tsargush had a nice win over 2013 rep Khubezhty on C not too far back.  Khubezhty had a pretty amazing Houdini job from a Tsarguh shot near the end of the 1st. 

Has there ever been a wrestler more hated than Lebedev?  What a disgrace.  

As an aside, i'm not familiar with Russian politics, but I do know that protest/dissent are not usually tolerated.  How brave a move is this by the leader of Dagestani wrestling/whoever called for this walkout? Clearly there is deep corruption in the Russian athletics system (from state sponsored doping to ref bribing), and we know all about the mob connections with that guy being denied entry for Worlds....How dangerous a move is this walkout?  Has anything like this happened recenty (I remember a couple fan initiated brawls, but never a boycott form athletes)?

Amazing

Has there ever been a wrestler more hated than Lebedev?  What a disgrace.  

As an aside, i'm not familiar with Russian politics, but I do know that protest/dissent are not usually tolerated.  How brave a move is this by the leader of Dagestani wrestling/whoever called for this walkout? Clearly there is deep corruption in the Russian athletics system (from state sponsored doping to ref bribing), and we know all about the mob connections with that guy being denied entry for Worlds....How dangerous a move is this walkout?  Has anything like this happened recenty (I remember a couple fan initiated brawls, but never a boycott form athletes)?

Amazing

That was insane... No idea what was happening but it looked bad.  The damn Russian army had to run in to break it up before it turned into a full on riot. 

In terms of the calls themselves: the real travesty was the first call.  The shot clock late was called exactly the way all matches are called now.  If there's no action for such a long time, they ALWAYS put the least aggressive guy on the clock and that was clearly not Lebedev for that particular stretch.  

But I have no idea what in the world happened with the first call.  It clearly should have been 2-1 going forward.  And the 1 that was signaled 2 by the mat official would be a 2 in most situations I've seen--but not totally unjustifiably a 1.  It should have been 3-1 or 4-1 heading into the final stretch where the shot clock was assigned.

Edited by maligned

In terms of the calls themselves: the real travesty was the first call.  The shot clock late was called exactly the way all matches are called now.  If there's no action for such a long time, they ALWAYS put the least aggressive guy on the clock and that was clearly not Lebedev for that particular stretch.  

But I have no idea what in the world happened with the first call.  It clearly should have been 2-1 going forward.  And the 1 that was signaled 2 by the mat official would be a 2 in most situations I've seen--but not totally unjustifiably a 1.  It should have been 3-1 or 4-1 heading into the final stretch where the shot clock was assigned.

I still have no idea what the hell happened there. I've watched it literally over a dozen times and can't figure it out.

For some background, Yakutia is a rich republic. They have diamonds and other natural resources. Their training facilities and financial support is incredible compared to the Caucasus. They hire Caucasian coaches. Al-Rosa is a Yakut company and a longtime sponsor of the Russian national team. Yakutia has a lot of influence and power in Russian wrestling.