Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Russian Nationals steam!

So what happens with the Lebedev vs Bogomev match? Is Bogomoev from one of the regions that walked out? Why does the Wiki page list them both as gold and no silver?

Bogo is from Buryatia, which is close to Yakutsk not part of the North Caucasus region of Southern Russia. all the Dagestan guys forfeited after the Lebedev Musukaev match and some of the other North Caucasus 'states' wrestlers as well. But all the Ossetians stayed in (I believe they are a big rival to the Dagestanis) and not all the Chechens, Karbardinos etc withdrew. Otarsultanov stayed in and won a bronze, for instance. 

Haven't watched it yet but heard the Lebedev Bogo match was also a screw job. not sure exactly how everythign got worked out but Bogo had the $10K gold prize placard in his hand and Lebedev the $7K for silver, but Lebedev got his hand raised. No idea how the Russian Federation is going to sort this all out. I'm guessing some international tournament like Poland will be used to determine 57, 65 and 97 for Rio but that's just a guess. 

Part of the issue here is the way that takedowns are given out of bounds -- the standards are much lower.  I don't understand how Lebedev scores a takedown when Musukaev goes out of bounds in a quad pod, but scoring takedowns going out of bounds when you haven't really secured the takedown is nothing new.  I'd also like to see a firm rules clarification for what counts as out of bounds, other than a single foot.  A whole hand, or do you need two?  It seems like there is inconsistency there.

Part of the issue here is the way that takedowns are given out of bounds -- the standards are much lower.  I don't understand how Lebedev scores a takedown when Musukaev goes out of bounds in a quad pod, but scoring takedowns going out of bounds when you haven't really secured the takedown is nothing new.  I'd also like to see a firm rules clarification for what counts as out of bounds, other than a single foot.  A whole hand, or do you need two?  It seems like there is inconsistency there.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I watched that sequence. I don't agree with the call either way, but I think the "almost takedown" out of bounds is a terrible rule because of these type of scenarios. It is also very inconsistently called.

Bogomoev was leading 1-0 in last minute and while he was clearly the more active wrestler they put him on shotclock with 34 seconds left, therefore he lost the match 1-1.

ironically Lebedev beat Bowne in the worlds last year (and even somehow Amit Kumar) with the same scenario, and none of these "Dagestanis /chechenya" complained about it. yeah, cheating is only good when it happens in our favor.

Bogomoev was leading 1-0 in last minute and while he was clearly the more active wrestler they put him on shotclock with 34 seconds left, therefore he lost the match 1-1.

ironically Lebedev beat Bowne in the worlds last year (and even somehow Amit Kumar) with the same scenario, and none of these "Dagestanis /chechenya" complained about it. yeah, cheating is only good when it happens in our favor.

I had the same thought.  When Bonne was outright cheated it was "stop crying."  Here, though, a whole new tune.

lebedev always has the ref on his side, he knows if he keeps any match to 1 point the ref will give him the win

Except that this time he didn't even have the first three points he was gifted (he had just one), so he was behind by more than 1 in any country other than Russia.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

It's amazing to me that Lebedev has to cheat so bad when he is so good.  If he just attacked more there are only a handful of people in the world that are capable of beating him, and he can absolutely beat anyone.  Now the majority of the world hates him because he is clearly trying to keep it close and win on B.S.

And then the Bogomoev match. I'm waiting for Bogo to get a passivity point to go up 2-0 late in the match, then next thing you know Lebedev has a 1-1 criteria lead and then the win. Incredible.

Follow the money?

It's amazing to me that Lebedev has to cheat so bad when he is so good. If he just attacked more there are only a handful of people in the world that are capable of beating him, and he can absolutely beat anyone. Now the majority of the world hates him because he is clearly trying to keep it close and win on B.S.

I don't think it's him that really cheating. Yes he is taking advantage of the situation provided to him but It's not like he single handedly is paying off the officials. Im sure by now he knows certain things are working in his favor, but it's some behind the scenes big time money guys from his region who are setting up the uneven playing field. Odds are the first couple times it happened to him, he nor his coaches even had a clue it was done under the table.

Edited by MadMardigain

it starts at the top. not trying to be too dramatic but Putin and the ruling oligarchs are corrupt. the Russian President of the sport, Mamiashvili, is corrupt. Alrosa, the state (Sakha Republic) owned mining conglomerate is corrupt. Alrosa paid to sponsor UWW, and they paid to host the freestyle championship, all with the understanding that the local hero would end up with gold. there have been worse ref screw ups, this was all about everyone being shameless about it, which happens when the entire system and society is blatantly corrupt. Everyone knew it was going to happen. so why should the Dagestan team put up with it? They have the best Russian wrestlers, hence the boycott. I have no idea if it will work or how things will play out but this is the result of more than just one wrestler or a few coaches and refs. 

also it doesn't really have anything to do with the Russian "system" for picking an Olympic team. that is, theoretically, a holistic system devoid of corruption, where the National Championships is a big part, but still just a part, of the selection process.

anyway, it's all very fascinating and I am glad it is not happening in the US, but even though it is riveting drama I do not wish things to play out this way for any international wrestling federation. 

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, exactly.  I wasn't trying to imply that Lebedev was literally showing the refs a wad of cash while presenting his blood rag, just that I'm surprised that he seems content to have razor close matches with huge controversies rather than attacking a point that would be very hard for anyone to stop him from getting.  Then again, if the result is that he wins and all of his neighbors have their most difficult opponents forfeit, then that's a pretty powerful incentive.