GranbyTroll

Rio rep for Aze?

On Flo's "Projecting the Olympic Field" article, Husker_Du  lists both Torgul Asgarov (#5) and Haji Aliev (#1 @61kg) as possibilities. Does anyone have insight on their selection process, who does better in the room, etc.? I'd personally love to see these guys duke it  out. If Aliev wins the spot, does he still get to go down to 61kg for the December "World Championships?"

I would love to watch these two duke it out. Asgarov is a rare athletic phenom and Aliev was the most exciting guy to watch at 2015 61kg Worlds.

Haji Aliyev: 'It will not be hard for me to fight at new weight category' 27 May, 2016  14:31

Baku. 27 May. REPORT.AZ/

'We are at training camp for 2 weeks already. Trainings are better in every way. We have no any problem. There is little time for the Olympics. I believe that we will be able to show a good result in Brazil'.

Report was told by freestyle wrestler Haji Aliyev, who will represent Azerbaijan at Rio 2016 Olympics.

H.Aliyev, who will fight at the Olympics for the first time and at 57 kg weight category, unlike other contests, said that new weight category will not be a problem for him: 'At non-Olympic competitions, I fight at 61 kg. 57 kg is a new weight category for me. It will not be hard for me to fight at a new weight category'.

Notably, Haji Aliyev won gold medal at the latest 2 world championships and 2014 European Championship.

Greetings y'all.

Haji got really screwed with this whole weight realignment caught in no man's land. At 61kg he is neither here nor there and he has no choice but to slim down. Having said that, the rumor is that he is already down to 59kg and he is making strides in adapting to his new weight.

Aze team is currently holding a joint camp with Cubans. Jabrayil Hasanov stood out with his renewed vigor and energy, something that's been missing for quite some time now. A lot of his issues are mental, and if he manages to overcome those he will be a legit contender.

Very unlikely.

Even though it is a wide open weight in Aze (Khatiyev is the presumptive #1 at the moment), Sharif will have hard time cutting weight. Sharif's best chance is at 97kg, but unless Gazyumov suffers some kind of setback over the next several weeks, Sharif will sit out the Olympics at home.

Very unlikely.

Even though it is a wide open weight in Aze (Khatiyev is the presumptive #1 at the moment), Sharif will have hard time cutting weight. Sharif's best chance is at 97kg, but unless Gazyumov suffers some kind of setback over the next several weeks, Sharif will sit out the Olympics at home.

did you see Sharifov's match against Torreblanca of Cuba? 

https://youtu.be/NQxjbkf9XWU

I can't imagine they wrestled scratch weight for a friendly dual meet but Torreblanca is a career 84/86 kg. Thought it might be a sign he's moving down but I don't know anything else. 

did you see Sharifov's match against Torreblanca of Cuba? 

https://youtu.be/NQxjbkf9XWU

I can't imagine they wrestled scratch weight for a friendly dual meet but Torreblanca is a career 84/86 kg. Thought it might be a sign he's moving down but I don't know anything else. 

Yes, apparently Sharif is indeed trying to slim down to 86kg, but it is going to be a tall order. I think, presently Khatiyev and Gostiyev are in better shape than Sharif. However, the coaching staff may want to avoid explaining why an Olympic and World champion stayed at home.

Edited by Karelin