Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

JRob Thread

Mark Schultz will replace him. Pat Smith and Joe Seay will be the assistants.

Dan Gable will be an advisor.

I get the joke, but what did Mark ever do as a coach that was so bad?  I know Seay almost got Oklahoma State the death penalty and I think Pat Smith had some substance issues and now coaches in Arkansas where few people pay attention to wrestling.  The worst thing I can think of was that he was in charge of the BYU program when it got dropped, which had nothing to do with him, the AD who dropped it was a former wrestler but he supposedly had no choice but to do that.  I think the worst thing was he competed in the UFC while he was the head coach there and the university told him not to do it again or he'd be fired.  Which is why Mark only had 1 MMA fight ever. 

Trip sweep and WrestlingNerd are correct. I cannot comprehend why he is not an option as a coach. He did wonders at BYU and brought in two straight top recruiting classes right before the program was cut. It was on its way up when it got cut and some of us wonder what could have been..

He has the ability and would be a great coach. Someone just needs to give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Kingsland

Trip sweep and WrestlingNerd are correct. I cannot comprehend why he is not an option as a coach. He did wonders at BYU and brought in two straight top recruiting classes right before the program was cut. It was on its way up when it got cut and some of us wonder what could have been..

He has the ability and would be a great coach. Someone just needs to give him a chance.

Check out his twitter, he is outspoken about many various politcal and social issues. He has absolutely every right to voice his opinions, however some (all) univeristies might have misgivings about hiring a guy like that.

Check out his twitter, he is outspoken about many various politcal and social issues. He has absolutely every right to voice his opinions, however some (all) univeristies might have misgivings about hiring a guy like that.

This is true. He is outspoken and can rub executives wrongly, but each time he followed their request when asked. He may be vocal now but as a coach he would be different. In my opinion.

However I do see this as the main reason many have been hesitant..

I sort of know Mark and he has strong opinions on certain things.  I don't always agree with him, but even though I have disagreed with him on certain things, he's a very honest and ethical guy.  I don't think he is angling for a coaching job anymore, if he is I don't know.  Any college or university or anyone anywhere would make a great hire with him.  I think if he were hired by a college, he'd probably just quit using Twitter and just stick to wrestling stuff.  BYU told him he couldn't do MMA and he chose to quit that even though he was arguably one of the best in the world at that point. 

I think if a college or somebody hired him and told him to not do that kind of thing because it'd make the college or whoever look bad, he would understand and respect that.  If it was something unreasonable like don't use Twitter again for anything or something then I'd see a problem, considering coaches use Twitter to help in recruiting these days. 

Guest Kingsland

I think the issue is that all of the stuff he posts on twitter is archived, and unless he goes back and deletes most of his tweets, they remain fodder for journalists looking to write a hit piece on the athletic department's new hire.