Classic case of poor journalism by the Intermat writer. His article is a near carbon copy of the original article EXCEPT that he adds the extra words in his opening paragraph, then fails to provide anything that supports those words.

The actual e mails are referred to with this statement:

The emails -- supplied by Robinson's agent, attorney James C.W. Bock -- indicate that high-ranking athletics department officials were aware that Robinson wanted his wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared with interim athletics director Beth Goetz and senior associate AD Mark Ryan.

Where is it mentioned that his wrestlers were selling??? It isn't. The writer alluding to such evidence with nothing else to support it like a source in the athletic dept. or even J Rob himself would be helpful. Without that support it looks like the writer just wrote what he wanted to write with nothing to bolster the claim. 

The Penn State fan desire to repeatedly look to the bad side in this, not give benefit of the doubt, hunt for indications of badness on JRob's part, seek to correct folks that imply otherwise, and all around interest in casting negative light ..... Is very interesting.

I think there is some hidden glee here. Careful not to overtly show it. But I can sense it.

I expect this will all come back in spades when Penn State has the next questionable thing happen. When it does, I expect it will be in part due to folks wanting to shove it in the fan's face. Can't say it won't be well deserved but it's too bad that the program will get the crap too.

Edited by nom

The Penn State fan desire to repeatedly look to the bad side in this, not give benefit of the doubt, hunt for indications of badness on JRob's part, seek to correct folks that imply otherwise, and all around interest in casting negative light ..... Is very interesting.

I think there is some hidden glee here. Careful not to overtly show it. But I can sense it.

I expect this will all come back in spades when Penn State has the next questionable thing happen. When it does, I expect it will be in part due to folks wanting to shove it in the fan's face. Can't say it won't be well deserved but it's too bad that the program will get the crap too.

2/10

Has anyone actually clicked on the link in the intermat article?  It directly says: 

"Emails acquired by the Pioneer Press on Friday indicate that Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson informed supervisors of suspicions that members of his wrestling team were using drugs in early March".

It specifically says suspicions of "using".  I think Palmer added "sales" to the article.  If you read further in the Pioneer Press article it talks about J being put on paid leave pending the results of campus and school investigations into allegations that U wrestlers were using and selling the drugs.

I hope that clarifies things.

This is an important point. Palmer added that in either without evidence or without linking to a different source that gives that info.

Has anyone actually clicked on the link in the intermat article?  It directly says: 

"Emails acquired by the Pioneer Press on Friday indicate that Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson informed supervisors of suspicions that members of his wrestling team were using drugs in early March".

It specifically says suspicions of "using".  I think Palmer added "sales" to the article.  

Go back again and read what Palmer wrote - he refers to e-mails acquired by the the Pioneer Press "and other media in the Twin Cities".  Sounds to me that Palmer is casting a wider net, and talking to other sources, not just re-hashing the Pioneer Press article.  Based on that, I don't think its appropriate to accuse Palmer of "poor journalism" (T-Bar's words above, not Shark's).  On the contrary, it sounds as if Palmer is doing a bit more due diligence.

I'm not saying that Palmer's article, or anything else I've seen, is enough to absolve J-Rob of any blame; but it does seem that based on the very LITTLE actual evidence that has come to light (or at least has been indirectly referred to), there is not enough so far to conclude one way or another who is to blame and for what. 

Edited by redblades

St. Paul Pioneer-Press:
"Emails acquired by the Pioneer Press on Friday indicate that Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson informed supervisors of suspicions that members of his wrestling team were using drugs in early March."

Palmer:
"Emails uncovered by the St. Paul Pioneer-Press and other media in the Twin Cities indicate J Robinson, long-time head wrestling coach at the University of Minnesota, had informed his superiors about his concerns about possible drug use and sales on the part of some of his athletes."

The other media is not cited, and the only recent article I have been able to uncover is the one cited in Palmer's story. He cited once source and introduced information that is not supported or explained. He also contradicts the statement later in the story: 

"The emails -- supplied by Robinson's agent, attorney James C.W. Bock -- indicate that high-ranking athletics department officials were aware that Robinson wanted his wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared with interim athletics director Beth Goetz and senior associate AD Mark Ryan"

I am not here to say what the right answer is here for Minnesota, but I do find it a little bit troubling that Palmer, a wrestling journalist, has potentially fabricated a piece of the story. I wish he would write another story that either links to the aforementioned "other media" or at the very least indicates that he personally has seen the email stating that Robinson told his superiors about suspected drug sales.

Redblades, if you are going to add information in the manner the intermat writer did then you should source it better than he did. If it is accurate that such emails exist, then given how easy it would be to print them or at least be very specific in describing them, you should do so. Lets assume a legit news source in Minneapolis has such e mails, why would they not print them? The answer is that e mails of this sort would have been made public or, at minimum, described in detail by someone who attests to have seen and reviewed them.

That is a HUGE leap on your part to make that kind of accusation.

Palmer is free to clear all this up, which he should.

Btw, I am pretty sure JRob's atty/agent has previously stated his belief it is ludicrous that JRob knew of dealing. So that also runs totally opposite the idea JRob informed Minny way back in March of suspected dealing.

Edited by TBar1977

That is a HUGE leap on your part to make that kind of accusation.

It's not a leap. He wrote a story that, like many of his stories, is essentially a summary of an article from a newspaper website and then added unsourced information not supported by what he cited. 

Just another story.  Most of us are waiting for the investigation to complete and some official news to be released.  Just another story opportunity for Toolbar to smugly enlighten us on the severity of the situation for J Rob and the Gophers program.

Just another story. Most of us are waiting for the investigation to complete and some official news to be released. Just another story opportunity for Toolbar to smugly enlighten us on the severity of the situation for J Rob and the Gophers program.

Who the hell are you, headfake, to decide what can be posted? When a poorly sourced article is written, then you can expect comment on it.

Even if it is about your idol.

I'm on JRob's side on this thing, but the taking possession of controlled substance and then destroying evidence, those are serious crimes.   I'm all for him protecting his guys, I'm not for felonious acts, by anyone.  

Lets hope the old man avoids prosecution.  Silver lining here for the University and the program, they really do need new blood taking over and getting this thing back on track.  

... taking possession of controlled substance and then destroying evidence, those are serious crimes. 

I agree that those would be serious crimes.  Whom are you accusing without any evidence?

I agree that those would be serious crimes.  Whom are you accusing without any evidence?

I don't need to prove the case, I"m not the Prosecuting attorney.   My comments are within the context of this discussion, where we are speculating on what may happen, given the information which has been provided.      It's not like I'm accusing him of a rape, or some other far fetched event no one has heard of, we're talking about this drug case specifically, and speculating on what might happen.   Surely this isn't too difficult to follow, is it?  

There is no "witness", only a disgruntled anonymous source.  The "information that has been provided" is all based upon that same source.  If I was going to speculate I would put my trust in a revered 30 year coach known for his integrity over an anonymous accusation.  After 99 days (march 10th) of investigation and no charges one would think that the University police must have discovered all the facts they can get.

Think about it objectively. The longer the investigation takes, the less likely it is that J was complicit in some major cover-up or knowingly swept a major drug ring under the rug. These are serious enough crimes that it would not take evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt to involve an authority much higher than campus cops.

There is no "witness", only a disgruntled anonymous source.  The "information that has been provided" is all based upon that same source.  If I was going to speculate I would put my trust in a revered 30 year coach known for his integrity over an anonymous accusation.  After 99 days (march 10th) of investigation and no charges one would think that the University police must have discovered all the facts they can get.

For those of us who do not want to see JRob go down, for destroying evidence and taking possession of controlled substance, (1000's of pills) lets hope it goes no further than it has.   

Or don't hope it.   Remain willfully ignorant and play the obtuse game, if that nets better sleep at night.   For me, I hope despite what seems to have gone on, I hope the guy gets away with it.