St. Paul Pioneer-Press:

"Emails acquired by the Pioneer Press on Friday indicate that Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson informed supervisors of suspicions that members of his wrestling team were using drugs in early March."

Palmer:

"Emails uncovered by the St. Paul Pioneer-Press and other media in the Twin Cities indicate J Robinson, long-time head wrestling coach at the University of Minnesota, had informed his superiors about his concerns about possible drug use and sales on the part of some of his athletes."

The other media is not cited, and the only recent article I have been able to uncover is the one cited in Palmer's story. He cited once source and introduced information that is not supported or explained. He also contradicts the statement later in the story: 

"The emails -- supplied by Robinson's agent, attorney James C.W. Bock -- indicate that high-ranking athletics department officials were aware that Robinson wanted his wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared with interim athletics director Beth Goetz and senior associate AD Mark Ryan"

I am not here to say what the right answer is here for Minnesota, but I do find it a little bit troubling that Palmer, a wrestling journalist, has potentially fabricated a piece of the story. I wish he would write another story that either links to the aforementioned "other media" or at the very least indicates that he personally has seen the email stating that Robinson told his superiors about suspected drug sales.

I read this twice before I realized you had a HUGE problem with your logic per the "contradicts" portion.

Palmer article - "had informed his superiors about his concerns about drug use and sales on the part of some of his athletes"

Exactly as J was required to do, and needed to do out of 'right decision' morals, and therefore no problem here.

Next - "...emails... indicate that high ranking AD officials were aware that Robinson wanted his wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared with the interim AD BG and senior assoc AD MR"

Read carefully here - the 'high ranking AD officials' were aware of testing request but THEY (AD officials) make no mention of anything further. In other words, the AD officials are simply not talking.

There is no contradiction here - and quite honestly, at this point, IronChef should be giving an apology to Palmer.

The primary issue is not the contradiction. The issue is that the cited source says one thing while Palmer's article says something else. The newspaper says they have emails about suspicion of drug use, while Palmer adds suspicion of drug sales without giving any source for that addition.

Also, your reading is way off. Taking out the hyphenated part for clarity, the sentence you take issue with says the following:

"The emails indicate that high ranking athletic department officials were aware Robinson wanted wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared..."

The subject of each clause "indicate that high ranking...." and "make no mention of..." is the same: the emails.

You're certainly free to argue that Palmer meant what you are saying, but that is not what was written, and the sentence in question was copied directly from the Pioneer-Press article except that Palmer added the hyphenated section about the source of the emails.

Edited by IronChef

There is no "witness", only a disgruntled anonymous source.  The "information that has been provided" is all based upon that same source.  If I was going to speculate I would put my trust in a revered 30 year coach known for his integrity over an anonymous accusation.  After 99 days (march 10th) of investigation and no charges one would think that the University police must have discovered all the facts they can get.

Wouldn't you be disgruntled if he threw all your inventory into the river? 

For those of us who do not want to see JRob go down, for destroying evidence and taking possession of controlled substance, (1000's of pills) lets hope it goes no further than it has.

Or don't hope it. Remain willfully ignorant and play the obtuse game, if that nets better sleep at night. For me, I hope despite what seems to have gone on, I hope the guy gets away with it.

Lol... seems you went from speculation to hangman. Sound like a real J Rob supporter.."hope the guy gets away with it"

The primary issue is not the contradiction. The issue is that the cited source says one thing while Palmer's article says something else. The newspaper says they have emails about suspicion of drug use, while Palmer adds suspicion of drug sales without giving any source for that addition.

Also, your reading is way off. Taking out the hyphenated part for clarity, the sentence you take issue with says the following:

"The emails indicate that high ranking athletic department officials were aware Robinson wanted wrestlers tested for drugs but make no mention of anything further the coach might have shared..."

The subject of each clause "indicate that high ranking...." and "make no mention of..." is the same: the emails.

You're certainly free to argue that Palmer meant what you are saying, but that is not what was written, and the sentence in question was copied directly from the Pioneer-Press article except that Palmer added the hyphenated section about the source of the emails.

My point is that if you read into it, and make some assumptions, you can come up with whatever conclusion you desire.

... there has to be a local newspaper we can follow for updates, rather than all these...... posts ...

apparently there is no story or there would be articles on it. Only thing on this thread is a bunch of people seeming to want to put another nail in the coffin of "future of wrestling"

To quote Pogo "I have met the enemy and he is us"

JRob = "future of wrestling" ??

Here are some updates taken from the Gopher board:

U of M police investigation is ongoing. The administration changed their mind on waiting to start the internal investigation until it was completed.

Sid Hartman, sports journalist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the WCCO 830 AM radio station was quoted as saying JRob is done. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

You left out some of the credible source's comments.

[i think the] U of M police investigation is ongoing. The administration changed their mind on waiting to start the internal investigation until it was completed. [At least that is my understanding.]

Sid Hartman, sports journalist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the WCCO 830 AM radio station was quoted as saying JRob is done. 

"I know Sid Hartman is older than dirt, but he said in an article that J will be done."  

The "article" was in Sid's page long sports column from a week ago where he gossips about all sports.  

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-fans-are-lucky-that-the-team-still-is-here/383205701/

No mat clinics at U

Now that the University of Minnesota has told suspended wrestling coach J Robinson that he can’t hold the clinics that he has run for young athletes for close to 30 years in the Gibson-Nagurski building, the writing is on the wall that Robinson’s days as a member of the Maroon and Gold staff are numbered.

Robinson is holding the clinic he normally runs on the campus at Wisconsin-River Falls.

Meanwhile, assistant coach Brandon Eggum is acting as the interim wrestling coach. Eggum finished second in 1999 and third in 2000 at the NCAA championships.

No doubt with Robinson absent, the wrestling program in a mess because of allegations of prescription drug abuse, recruiting is suffering.

Why would Robinson be allowed to run his camps on campus when he's suspended until the investigation is completed?  Sounds like a pretty smart move for J and Wisconsin-River Falls.  Sid thinks this is "writing on the wall" that J is done?  Huh?

Edited by headshuck

Now that is a fair post. Honestly after even with a favorable outcome, I can't think a reason why J would want to work for U of M given all their support... maybe a large severance is in order. In the end it may not be U of M's decision.

For those of you who haven't met Sid... let's just say that, well ... you haven't met Sid.

Sure - he's been around quite a long time, and good for him. He's been quite successful.

But make no mistake, Sid is not the 'Voice of Gopher Wrestling' by any stretch...

For those of you who haven't met Sid... let's just say that, well ... you haven't met Sid.

Sure - he's been around quite a long time, and good for him. He's been quite successful.

But make no mistake, Sid is not the 'Voice of Gopher Wrestling' by any stretch...

Has anyone ever seen Sid and jammenz in the same place at the same time? 

oh, my...that should start a fight!

Can we please agree if their is no new info, let the thread die a graceful death?

Actually, his response was pretty lame, much like most of his responses. He is not the undisputed king for no reason. 

EDIT I should add, though, that if anyone could give jammies a run for his money as the new King, it is 21. 

Edited by TBar1977

JRob = "future of wrestling" ??

Here are some updates taken from the Gopher board:

U of M police investigation is ongoing. The administration changed their mind on waiting to start the internal investigation until it was completed.

Interesting, T.R. Foley doesn't seem to agree with Hartman:

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16482

Foley: The other alternative is to fire J, which I'm assuming the school's lawyers have informed the AD would be costly to defend against if/when J would file a wrongful termination suit.

Not if J had an "at will" employment contract like many coaches. 

Foley: The other alternative is to fire J, which I'm assuming the school's lawyers have informed the AD would be costly to defend against if/when J would file a wrongful termination suit.

Not if J had an "at will" employment contract like many coaches. 

55572727.jpg

Tbar has already gone on record saying he wants J coaching for another 20 years since he feel he's past his prime.

My thoughts mirror several posters who I have seen make similar comments on The Guillotine. Those posts are not made from the same competing school fan perspective as mine, but the underlying feeling that Minnesota as a competitive wrestling force would be better off cutting ties here is the same. 

Don't twist words. There are a lot of folks (myself included) that think maybe the time has come for a change. But I've never seen anyone else say they want J to remain coaching so he would fail giving their team an advantage. That's you and only you.