Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

University Greco, Water's DQ'd in semis!

Waters loses on 3 cautions when his opponent earned 0 points while Waters earned 10. 

Water is winning the match 10-4. Waters scored all of his points offensively, and his opponent score all of his points via the Ref cautioning Waters: first for not presenting in par terre, then for false starting in par terre. 

With 0:15 left, Waters backs out of bounds and the ref offers Caution+ 2 for fleeing  the mat (which would DQ Waters on 3 cautions), but the Judge and the Chair both confirm 1 for the step out. Brick thrown, challenge, refs overturn it to fleeing, Waters loses. 

I'm not Waters fan, but that looked more like Russian Senior Nationals than the USA University Nationals. 

Maybe it's because I'm trying to view on my phone (mobile version), but trying to locate any specific live matches on Flo for these large events (several mats at once) is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Be nice to have browser que available at least around the quarter or semi finals on to know who is up where.

It sucks, but they have clearly set rules that many have been pushing for in College in regards to stalling.  Not presenting in par terre and a false start in par terre are nearly impossible to ignore.  Fleeing is open to interpretation, but when analyzing video in a review, its hard to ignore.  It sucks for Waters, but you have to know the rules.

It sucks, but they have clearly set rules that many have been pushing for in College in regards to stalling.  Not presenting in par terre and a false start in par terre are nearly impossible to ignore.  Fleeing is open to interpretation, but when analyzing video in a review, its hard to ignore.  It sucks for Waters, but you have to know the rules.

I'm fine with the fleeing call, but the other two were pretty bogus, IMO. Waters crawled the lock a little, so  the ref hits him for Caution + 2. They restart in par terre, where Waters  drops early for another Caution + 2.

How often do you see refs let guys off with a verbal warning for either of those? It seemed like the ref was looking for a reason to hit Waters, rather than officiating the match correctly. 

How often do you see refs let guys off with a verbal warning for either of those? It seemed like the ref was looking for a reason to hit Waters, rather than officiating the match correctly. 

Quoting myself here, but  in the 63kg finals, the ref gave a verbal warning for false starting in par terre. Like they always do. 

I'm fine with the fleeing call, but the other two were pretty bogus, IMO. Waters crawled the lock a little, so  the ref hits him for Caution + 2. They restart in par terre, where Waters  drops early for another Caution + 2.

They all have to be confirmed by a ref at the table and you would think it would have to be pretty obvious for them to confirm it..........

Waters loses on 3 cautions when his opponent earned 0 points while Waters earned 10.

Water is winning the match 10-4. Waters scored all of his points offensively, and his opponent score all of his points via the Ref cautioning Waters: first for not presenting in par terre, then for false starting in par terre.

With 0:15 left, Waters backs out of bounds and the ref offers Caution+ 2 for fleeing the mat (which would DQ Waters on 3 cautions), but the Judge and the Chair both confirm 1 for the step out. Brick thrown, challenge, refs overturn it to fleeing, Waters loses.

I'm not Waters fan, but that looked more like Russian Senior Nationals than the USA University Nationals.

The best wrestler doesn't always win. In this case the guy who knew (and definitely played them) the rules won. Waters or his corner should of known 3 cautions gets you dq'd...should of given up takedown.

My expert opinion....

The slip at 1:00 in the first was really weak

Not sure what the first caution and 2 was for, he has the right to defend

Roberts was extremely slow in putting his hands on the back until he got his caution and 2

That last caution was horrible, the ref was very sketchy

It is part of the new USA Wrestling training program for the athletes, to help desensitize them from getting screwed while wrestling abroad.  The refs had to go through an intensive and thorough training program this spring. The final exam for them was to break down the officiating of the Russian National, to better understand the proper techniques of screwing a wrestler over.

Edited by greco_gilligan

I love it that everyone gets all disturbed when another one of their folkstyle heros self destructs on the Greco mat.

As the saying goes ..if it were easy everybody would be doing it.

Trolling 3/10

I don't see too many posts defending Waters, and I see a few questioning the integrity of the ref.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk