Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

University Freestyle Nationals 2016

Damn. You guys must be very hard to impress. IMar scored 10 pts or more in all 7 matches he wrestled and 6 out of 7 were tech falls. As good as Hall is, I would expect a very competitive match if they wrestled, but IMar was pretty damn impressive to me.......

i didn't get to watch must universities as we were at southern plains, but, i did watch imar and marstellar's two matches...

i had 2 takeaways from those matches... 

1- marstellar needs to hit the freakn treadmill or something... he was way too gassed in both of those matches to do anything except isolated spurts... very disappointing and does not bode well for his aspirations at 65 this coming season... my guess is he will be a puddle by the 2nd like he was at 57...

2- imar needs some par terre in a bad way... this takedown and lay on them until the whistle blows will work for these stall style kids, but, is not gonna fly outside of these borders too well...

so, i would agree that imar's overall free game is not that impressive... still a monster on the feet

I still stand by my statement that Chance should take 3 months off of wrestling and train for a marathon.  Shrink those tree trunk legs down just a little bit and develop some much needed capillary density and VO2 capability.  It's not like he is going to forget how to wrestle...his talent is abundantly apparent every time he gets on the mat. 

Edited by GoNotQuietly

I still stand by my statement that Chance should take 3 months off of wrestling and train for a marathon.  Shrink those tree trunk legs down just a little bit and develop some much needed capillary density and VO2 capability.  It's not like he is going to forget how to wrestle...his talent is abundantly apparent every time he gets on the mat. 

I agree with your premise for reducing the tree trunks & increasing VO2 max, however, he doesn't have to train for a marathon to do so.  4 to 5 times a week spend 45 minutes running 6 miles and  1 day a week go 8 to 10  same pace (simply running 3 mI/day doesnt do it).  It just takes discipline, less than 1 hour commitment per day.   This is something should've been started end of March,  given in Oklahoma he could've started in January but I'm guessing didn't happen.

I agree with your premise for reducing the tree trunks & increasing VO2 max, however, he doesn't have to train for a marathon to do so.  4 to 5 times a week spend 45 minutes running 6 miles and  1 day a week go 8 to 10  same pace (simply running 3 mI/day doesnt do it).  It just takes discipline, less than 1 hour commitment per day.   This is something should've been started end of March,  given in Oklahoma he could've started in January but I'm guessing didn't happen.

True, but It's very hard to get a wrestler to run that much, unless they are training for a specific competitive event which they can win.  Also, I think what you described is actually significantly more overall road mileage than most of the marathon training regimes I've seen.  Running that much normally isn't any way to train for wrestling (sprints and interval training are much better), but Chance really needs to shed some excess muscle in this legs, and running a marathon will catabolize the hell out of your lower body. Plus, I have the same body type as Chance, and if running sucks as hard for him as it does for me, he will be so happy to get back on the mats when it is over he won't even miss not fitting into jeans. 

First you have to WANT to put out the effort to change your body, and WANT to listen to others who could have helped.

exactly ...you can lead a horse to water....but you can't make em drink

True, but It's very hard to get a wrestler to run that much, unless they are training for a specific competitive event which they can win.  Also, I think what you described is actually significantly more overall road mileage than most of the marathon training regimes I've seen.  Running that much normally isn't any way to train for wrestling (sprints and interval training are much better), but Chance really needs to shed some excess muscle in this legs, and running a marathon will catabolize the hell out of your lower body. Plus, I have the same body type as Chance, and if running sucks as hard for him as it does for me, he will be so happy to get back on the mats when it is over he won't even miss not fitting into jeans. 

Its true its hard to get most wrestlers to run, the point here is off season to burn fat reduce weight, its not for everyone.

If doing for a marathon this is just the base level one would do for a year or two before starting a marathon training regime (assuming one is actually running/racing/competing & not just jogging/walking the marathon). The training regime would then start 3 to 4 months out and add a long run every other weekend starting at ~12 to 14 mile increase by 2 miles every other weekend till up to 20 to 22 miles then start 2 week tapper for the marathon.  Marathon training will put one at 50 to 60 miles per week unless an elite marathoner training to win.  

And running 6 miles 45 minutes in a day during the off-season isn't going to hurt a wrestler in the joint etc. anymore than running 3, once in shape will be running smoother less impact.  Again, its not for everyone, most won't have the commitment but could help the guy who needs to go down a weight class or needing to burn fat in the off season.

​I did lots of mileage and ran marathons in the off-season in college.  IMO, not good training for wrestling cardio.  In the beginning of the season I could run at a good pace for hours, but needed wrestling conditioning to be able to do last a 7 minute match.

Marathon conditioning is very helpful for recovery time.  When you are wrestling several matches in a day, marathon training would be very helpful, but yes you need wrestling conditioning as well.  Two different conditions but both needed.