• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:56 AM

Long ago, college wrestling coaches wouldn't let their wrestlers into the weight room ("It'll make you muscle-bound!")... yet there were wrestlers known for their strength and incredible physiques. Here's a photo-feature about a handful of these mat greats... https://intermatwres.../articles/16421

• Alwayswrestling and swoopdown like this

#2 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for sharing.

#3 KingK0ng

KingK0ng

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Two of those mentioned went to the same high school, Perry, OK. Here are the plaques that have been erected in their honor.

IMG_2261_zpszdaaxrhm.jpgIMG_2259_zpswsolmjj8.jpg

• ideamark likes this

#4 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

from the article-

The late Sherwyn Thorson owns a number of enduring distinctions in his amateur athletic career at Iowa. He was the Hawkeyes' first NCAA heavyweight wrestling champ. What's more, Thorson was the only U of Iowa athlete to earn All-American honors in both wrestling and football ... and perhaps the only athlete from any NCAA school in history to do both,

and now my question....Was Thorsen the only man t AA in wrestling and football? (for sake of argument I will assume we are talking only D1). Culp is also mentioned in the article and I wonder if we was an AA in football as well as wrestling. Jim Nance also comes to mind.

anyway, nice article, thanks for sharing.  

#5 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

Sherwyn Thorson was from Ft Dodge, IA know for its blue collar toughness.  I met Sherwyn Thorson once about 20 years ago this is how he introduced himself to me " I am Sherwyn Thorson from Ft Dodge, IA where there are 10 tough men and 9 of them call me SIR" LOL

• ideamark likes this

#6 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

from the article-

The late Sherwyn Thorson owns a number of enduring distinctions in his amateur athletic career at Iowa. He was the Hawkeyes' first NCAA heavyweight wrestling champ. What's more, Thorson was the only U of Iowa athlete to earn All-American honors in both wrestling and football ... and perhaps the only athlete from any NCAA school in history to do both,

and now my question....Was Thorsen the only man t AA in wrestling and football? (for sake of argument I will assume we are talking only D1). Culp is also mentioned in the article and I wonder if we was an AA in football as well as wrestling. Jim Nance also comes to mind.

Good question RE Culp and Nance. Someone else asked me about Nance. I've tried to find that info online today and had no luck. All three guys seem very worthy candidates for AA in both football and wrestling. If someone knows for sure, please let us know.

Thanks

Mark

• KTG119 likes this

#7 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Two of those mentioned went to the same high school, Perry, OK. Here are the plaques that have been erected in their honor.

IMG_2261_zpszdaaxrhm.jpgIMG_2259_zpswsolmjj8.jpg

Was blessed to have contact with some of the guys who were behind this project, and able to write about it for InterMat. Hope to see it in person someday.

Mark

#8 Gambatte

Gambatte

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Art Baker, Syracuse, was NCAA champ in 1959 at 191 lbs and was a football AA. Baker was the second African-American NCAA wrestling champ. If we are considering wrestling/football AAs, but not necessarily NCAA wrestling champions, both Al Rushatz, Army, and Dave Joyner, Penn State, were AAs in both wrestling and football according to their bios. Rushatz finished 3rd, Joyner 2nd at the nationals. Regarding Jim Nance and Curly Culp, like IdeaMark, I have the same search results and do not find any mention of either achieving football AA status.

Edited by Gambatte, 08 June 2016 - 12:22 AM.

• KTG119 likes this

#9 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:40 AM

Art Baker, Syracuse, was NCAA champ in 1959 at 191 lbs and was a football AA. Baker was the second African-American NCAA wrestling champ. If we are considering wrestling/football AAs, but not necessarily NCAA wrestling champions, both Al Rushatz, Army, and Dave Joyner, Penn State, were AAs in both wrestling and football according to their bios. Rushatz finished 3rd, Joyner 2nd at the nationals. Regarding Jim Nance and Curly Culp, like IdeaMark, I have the same search results and do not find any mention of either achieving football AA status.

Thanks for the info, Gambattle, on Art Baker.

You mentioned that he was the 2d African-American NCAA champ.  I came across a profile of him from years ago where he was describing his title win. He was going up against Tim Woodin, powerfully-built Michigan State wrestler who usually competed at 177, and was a pinner and 2x Big Ten champ. Anyway, Baker told the reporter that he told Woodin as they were shaking hands at the beginning of the bout something to the effect of, "Nothing against you, I'm going to be the first brother to win a national title" -- not realizing that honor had already been claimed by Simon Roberts of U of Iowa two years earlier. Seeing film of the Baker-Woodin match, Baker was very lean and active, seemingly frustrating Woodin.

Woodin went on to a long career as pro wrestler Tim Woods and masked good-guy Mr Wrestling.

Mark

Edited by ideamark, 08 June 2016 - 01:41 AM.

#10 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

An InterMat reader posted in the comments section for the article mentioned another athlete who earned All-American honors in wrestling and football... Jess Lewis, 2x NCAA hwt champ at Oregon State (3x NCAA All-American) who also earned AA in football in 1967, according to Wikipedia.

Mark

#11 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

Bob Golic from Notre Dame as well, according to wiki

• ideamark likes this

#12 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

According to his wiki, the late Steve "Dr. Death" Williams was an AA in football as well as a 4X AA in wrestling.

• ideamark likes this

#13 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:06 AM

Amazing how many dual All-Americans there are! Thanks to all who have contributed. If you come across any others, let us know!

Mark

#14 KingK0ng

KingK0ng

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Former Sooner Granville Liggins also was an AA in both.

https://en.wikipedia...anville_Liggins

• ideamark likes this

#15 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:46 AM

That's a great article.

70s-80s strong men from the Big Ten( scarily bulging with muscle) were:

King Mueller and Scott/Mark Trizzino- Iowa

Nate Carr- Iowa State

Lou/Ed Banach- Iowa

Derek Glenn- Colorado

Chris Campbell- Iowa

Marty Kistler -Iowa

Mark Johnson- Michigan

Dan Gable- Iowa State

Lee Kemp (pre-vegetarianism)- Wisconsin

to name a few

remember, these were pre-creatine/stacker days.

I guess Kilgore and Matt Brown qualify for monstrous these days.

Edited by BadgerMon, 15 June 2016 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users