Sign in to follow this  
fanta

If you could win a state title, which state would it be??

We all know Indiana, New Jersey, Kentucky, California have a single division.  But, if you had a choice and you could travel back in time.

Which state would you want to win and why?  Prestige, size, tradition/ history etc;

Chime in.  

Roughly 600 state titles have been won in California, since 1973.   I know of 1 case where a competitor bumped up 2 weight classes to win his state title.   I would not be so self centered, as to go up 3 weight classes, and eclipse the feet of Dave Schultz.   I respect the accomplishment too much, to do so.  

2 weight classes up, California, that's the one I achieve, given the choice.   

Wow!! 2 weight classes, are you serious?

Prior to the California State Championships, Dave Schultz pinned 2x NCAA Champion and “Outstanding Wrestler” Chuck Yagla from the University of Iowa at the Great Plains Championships, which qualified him to compete on his first U.S. international team at the Tbilisi Tournament in the former Soviet Georgia, considered by many in the wrestling circles as the “toughest tournament in the world.” As a result of the timing of Tbilisi (Dave earned a Bronze medal), Dave missed the qualifying process for the California State Championships, but his coach Ed Hart was able to successfully petition him into the tournament. Competing two weight classes above his normal weight (as a result of not competing at his normal weight during the qualifier process), Dave pinned all his opponents up to the finals where he secured the title with a major decision in the final.

Edited by Coach_Al

I would like to have won it in Cary Kolat's cl;ass his senior year, doing the Vision Quest thing and denying him his 4th.

But since I wrestled in Virginia, and didn't win one, I'd like to be able to go back and get that done.

Depth & Toughness: California

Because I couldn't win one where I was from: Virginia

Tradition: Iowa, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Weather: Hawaii

Jason, Iove this answer!!!

Depth & Toughness: California

Because I couldn't win one where I was from: Virginia

Tradition: Iowa, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Weather: Hawaii

Question - Is it just your opinion that Cali is tougher than winning one of the classes in Pa? Or is there data that proves that it's harder? I have no clue on data, and just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I think the best HS wrestling is in PA, but I think the toughest to win is California. Just the volume of matches it takes to qualify is wild, especially from the Southern sections. (I think that's the area I'm thinking).

Jason, you are correct. It's been a big bone of contention with a lot of the schools in California about just how many matches the southern sections have to go through to even make it to the state tournament. While I think you're right that Pennsylvania has the best high school wrestlers, the toughest tournament to win, hands down, is California. It is just an incredible dog fight spread out over almost a month and as the other guy said the list of people who have not achieved four-time Champion status is the who's who among wrestling. And just for the record, I live in Nevada.

As far as which state tournament I would like to have one, there would be only one state, God's country, Tennessee!

PA would be the best. I also like Indiana because they have around 300 schools and only one state championship series. If you win state in Indiana you're more than likely college ready. 

Indiana's semi-state (after regional and before state finals) has produced some amazing competitive events, in a lot of sports.  It's a shame some states, like Ohio, has three divisions.  

Edited by stp

Pico almost certainly, would have won 4 in California

Vasquez is the only one to do it, but if you follow California wrestling closely, you probably know Christian Bowerman had Vasquez flat on his back, for several seconds, in the 1/4 finals, and the referee staring at the shoulders and the mat, hand lifted, ready to slap the pinfall, the arena going delirious, and Jacob Palomino leading 10-0 in the adjacent mat, but it did not happen.   The ref did not have the cojones to call it.   Vasquez earned it from there, but there's an *, no question.    

Point being, very tough state tournament to win, even when you're the best wrestler there.