Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Burroughs wearing an MSU hat?

In Foley's Friday Mailbag there is a picture at the very end of Jordan Burroughs holding Cormier's championship belt. The picture isn't 100% clear but it looks like the hat is green with a nice big S on the front. A man can dream, which I am sure it would be all there is to it, but I would take Burroughs with ZERO coaching experience as HEAD COACH RIGHT NOW!

I hope Burroughs NEVER becomes a head coach (unless he wants to). He has so much potential and so many options. Assistant, yea, I see that all day long. MMA one day, yea, I see that one day. But the whole "be a coach" mentality gets old when guys win titles. I hope he sees higher rungs than college wrestling coaching.

I hope Burroughs NEVER becomes a head coach (unless he wants to). He has so much potential and so many options. Assistant, yea, I see that all day long. MMA one day, yea, I see that one day. But the whole "be a coach" mentality gets old when guys win titles. I hope he sees higher rungs than college wrestling coaching.
There is no higher "rung" than college coaching if that is what he most wants to do with his life and his career. There are plenty of super individuals that made a career with coaching that could have been successful in other areas. Jim and Jeff Jordan are two good examples.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I am skeptical for three reasons:

1. His cap doesn't look anything like the Spartan cap I get out of my closet when my old alma mater does well in basketball (remember Magic? 1979) or (football -- remember Rose Bowl about 2 decades ago -- Lorenzo White?). Haven't worn it for wrestling since 1972 -- now over 40 years ago. And frankly, Burrough's cap doesn't even look green to me. Certainly not Spartan green. Anyway -- point made for now.

2.Burroughs is wearing and holding a bunch of strike force stuff -- S for Strike Force -- ?!

3. Any "competent" (even incompetent) coach would be out of his mind to take that job -- for a ton of obvious reasons. Although if the the MSU administration decided to support the program in the way it should be supported, it would be a plum job for a great coach.

Best -

DA