Sign in to follow this  
nom

World cup - USA results

I'm hearing the Iranian Kazoos and chants.  (I think that is what it was).

2nd period, Cox low, cat like.  I'm liking all the different grip variations I'm seeing.  Trying russians, trying arm drag, seeing the double grip on wrist.  

Pawan goes in, gets to J'Den's leg but J'Den kick's over and nearly pins Pawan!!  Nope.  9-2.  J'Den showing a lot of technique.  

Now a single, gets to other ankle and boom.  11-2.  

HUGE J'Den fan.  HUGE.  Love it.

blood time?

But the couple of months since he clinched the Olympic spot is not enough time for him to make significant improvements in his freestyle abilities. He should be focusing on his par terre defense. All the work he is putting into expanding his offensive skills and singing with his mother will do him no good. Maybe by next Olympic cycle he will have time to develop into a decent freestyle wrestler (not on Dake's level, though, let alone Taylor's).

(read that all with a heavy dose of sarcasm)

Gadizov handling a game Odikadze.  10-2.  The 2 is from two pushouts on shots.  Gadisov winning in scramble situations.  Odik does get a TD!  10-4.   Another pushout.  10-5.  Goes in again and gets another TD!  10-7.  30 sec to go.  Wow.  Is Gadizov tuckered out.  Ref chatting with table (conveniently?).  Nice long break for Gadisov.  What the heck.  24 sec to go. right off whistle, shot by Odik and TD!!  10-9!!  16 sec to go.  Shot ... no.  Trying trip.  Nope.  All ends 10-9.  Woah.

Karimi is losing 2-2 to Gostiyev with 30 sec to go.  Now down 3-2 with shot clock point I think.  Gostiyev gets TD.  Winning 5-2 with 6 seconds to go.

Isn't Karimi really good?  Who is Gostiyev?  

Russian ref up on mat again in Kushkhov vs Petriashvili (GEO)  ..... holy crap with these names! 

Pet is winning 2-0.  Beginning of second period.  Now 3-0 ... ?    Now a caution and a point for Pet ... 4-0.  Chance for DQ according to announcer but not sure what the issue is, splitting attention.  Kush looks tired.  Pet goes in but no real threat.  DAMN IT, how did it get to 9-0?  Cube in.  score is back to 4-0.  What is going on!!  Russian guy needs a break, so a break is created.  24 sec to go.  Kush not trying much.  Pet wins 4-0.    Pet annoyed.    Russia takes it 16-14 overall.

Alborov (AZE) beating Tahan 2-0 with 36 sec to go in match.  LONGGGGG break.  Not sure what's up.  Tahan has a cool head wrap now.  On start, goes in fast, but no.  10 sec.  Point red for caution / avoidance?  Not sure.  4 sec.   That's it.  Alborov wins 2-1.  Upset right?  

Dual on IRI / AZE side coming down to heavyweights according to announcer.

Gasemi (IRI - #6) vs Gamidov (AZE - Unranked):  Gamidov takes shot a minute in but no grip, no go.  Ref says watched interlocked fingers.  Gasemi gets 1 for shot clock.    But Gamidov gets in!  Gasemi is countering, getting behind.  Whistled dead before could fully convert (bad stoppage I think)  1-0 Gasemi.  20 sec to go in period.   Big flurry at end of period.  Stepout ... but score says 2-1 Gamidov.  

Announcer: If Gamidov wins, team match will come down to criteria.

Gamidov smacks Gasemi  -- point given to Gasemi.  2-2.  Gasemi on criteria.  2 min to go.  Gamidov goes in but can't grip.  And again.  This time a bit lazy with it.  Gasemi gets behind.  4-2.  Gamidov now looks exhausted.  1:20 to go.  Snap by Gasemi, but doesn't us it.  Gasemi shoves Gamidov upright, then goes in for double!  But somehow Gamidov defends and spins over top and gets behind for 2!!  4-4 but Gasemi winning based on caution.  Gamidov simply goes to mat and Gasemi spins behind.  6-4 Gasemi.  13 sec to go.  Gamidov does try but nothing.  6-4 Gasemi.  

Iran wins.  

Some words between Gasemi and Gamidov, then a hug.

Crotalus, you talking to me?  Who are you saying is saying this?

Not to you. In past threads some folks had remarked that he only had that outside low single takedown and didn't have any other offensive moves or par terre and that he didn't have nearly enough time to develop any of those skills before the Olympics so he should just focus on his par terre defense.

There were some folks, though, that thought he was so still so raw in freestyle back at trials that we would see very rapid improvement between then and Rio. I hope this weekend is a preview that this is the case.

Connorsdad - they bring more than one wrestler per weight class.  Probably will use fresh guys vs U.S. ... at least some of them.

Crotalus - got it.  I think J'Den is showing a lot of variety.

Dennis vs Magomedov (AZE)  - Dennis working 2 on 1.  Passive caution on Magomedov.  Dennis in on leg!    Gets the 2 near the edge!  2-0.  And another 2 with off a 2 on 1 (it shifted though).  Nice!!  4-0.  Dennis the aggressor.  Mag shot, Dennis spins behind then a trapped arm gut!!  WOW  8-0!!!  

25 sec to go in period 1!  Mag shot, Dennis sprawl.  Mag has one leg but it is high on leg, no leverage.  Period ends.

Well ConnorsDad, Mag wrestled in prior dual so I'm wrong so far.

Dennis is controlling the tie ups.  Very cool to see.  Mag takes shot, can't get in.  Dennis fires but misses.  2 min to go.  Mag shot, Dennis gets corner, grabs ankle, and gets behind!!

10-0!

WOAH!!!  

How good is Magamedov?

Ramos vos Gvarzatilov

GV in.  Ramos defending but GV converts.  0-2.  Gvar is a junior world champ apparently.  G fires, Ramos makes him miss.  Gv is the one on offense so far.  Ramos with some fakes but Gvar isn't biting.  Ramos reaches but nope.   Gvar with fakes.  Ramos not biting.  Gvar reaches but Tony hopes and he misses.  40 sec to go.  Half shots by Ramos.  Front headlock by Ramos .  pulls him down.  Tries to pancake him!! Gvar adjusts but Ramos adjusts better and gets the 2!!  2-2 Ramos winning by criteria right now.

HEY CONNORSDAD - I'm wrong again.  Gvar wrestled earlier.

Ok, big scramble.  2 backs given to Ramos as he has a leg and Gvar rolls across back, then Gvar head pinch kind of roll to get 2.  4-4 but Gvar winning.

1:20 to go.  Ramos snap working.  Crap, screen pixels .. Gvar goes in, has leg.  Going out back.  But ramos gets a leg and pulls it up and rolls back and 2 backs for Ramos!!  And then he does it again!!!  8-4.  

Now trying to circle around on restart.  Gets behind after a slick move during a scramble.  Gets the 2 as he breaks down Gvar!!  10-4.  

Screen is frozen!  OK, 4 sec to go.  All done!  GO RAMOS!!!

Edited by nom

Some extra hands to face in match.  Point for Molinaro for one that was too big.  Muslimov banging on back of Molinaro head.  1-0 Frank on caution.  

FRank goes in but can't wrap body.  Neutral.  Passive on Frank.  He is on clock.  Screen stutering.  Molinaro in again with same move and this time wraps body and lifts!!!  Muslimov wisely bails.  Only 2 for Frank.  3-0 Frank!!!!

Period ends.  Gotta say, that level change / duck to a body / hip wrap is fast and slick.  Nice Frank.  Keep it up!!

Edited by nom

2nd period.  Mus goes for leg, gets it, but M jumps away.  2:10 to go.   Passive on Molinaro.  Shot clock.  Frank goes in but Mus stops with underhook.  Flurry.  But no points.  3-1 after 30 seconds expires.  1 min to go.  

30 sec ...  Go frank!  15 sec.  HEADBUT right into molinaro's face.  Stopped.  11 sec to go.  Frank seems fine.  Point for Frank.  4-1.  4 sec.  Some antics at the end.   Frank kinda pretending on a final shot.   face shove by Mus.  Frank clapping.

Whatever.  Frank wins!!!  

USA DOING WELL!!!

Green vs Omarov.  Green in fast but no grip.  Then Omar shot, miss.  

A FAST DOUBLE for near position and ... what??  That was 4!!!!  But only 2 given.  Hmmmm.  I took him to his butt with back leaning back.  How not 4?  I need to rewatch that.  2-0 Green.

Omarov pushes inand GReen reaches low and gets ankle, 2!  4-0!!!

AND IT IS OVER!!!!

Omarov is game and taking shots but Green eluding, last one though, Reshot and green puts him right to back and then two laces to finish it off!!  I think he only needed 1 though!!  

WIHOO!!!!!

10-0

Dieringer up -- VS A. Aliyev.

Dier in on high crotch, NEARLY finishes it with 4 points but doesn't quite ..   Now apart.  Now another scramble. Dier adjusts and rolls Aliyev from a scramble situation.  2!   Very smart.  Very cool.

And now a great high crotch.  Gets pushout.  3-0.  video is freezing.  1:20 in. Going now.  Arghh.  Stuttering.  Dier counters a TD attempt with FAST go behind and has trapped arm, gets a turn!  

WOW  7-0.  Dieringer showing some amazing speed.  gotta say I saw it with all the American wrestlers.  Zoom zoom.  Love it.

2nd period coming up.

You'll never find anybody rooting harder for all Americans than me. That being said, it can't be coincidence, that every time lately Molinaro is in a match he's getting his eyes poked, head-butted, head slap, etcetera. After multiple cases it cant be that every foreigner is dirty and Frank is completely the victim. He has got to be doing something himself. And that is the worst haircut I've ever seen.

You'll never find anybody rooting harder for all Americans than me. That being said, it can't be coincidence, that every time lately Molinaro is in a match he's getting his eyes poked, head-butted, head slap, etcetera. After multiple cases it cant be that every foreigner is dirty and Frank is completely the victim. He has got to be doing something himself. And that is the worst haircut I've ever seen.

2nd period -  lots of hand fighting, underhooks, etc.   1:20 left.  Passive on Aliyev.  Dieringer forcing hard underhooks.  but not effective.  Then Aliyev throws an under and Dier fires and gets deep, drive out Aliyev.  8-0.

Dier is firing.  Nearly gets another 2 but time is out.

DIERINGER!!!!!!

Cox vs Gostiyev

Activity is occuring but no score. 

J'Den tries a foot sweep, then they go to mat and J'Den tries to get behind but no.  Gostiyev is on clock.

Gos goes in, does get behind as shot clock expires but Gos was in middle of sequence.  Cox on his hands, knees not down.  Gos tries laces but Cox doesn't go either time.  Impressive.  At some point ref feels Cox's knee touched.  I don't think I ever saw it.  2 given.

Period over.  0-2.

J'Den reaches low for right ankle but misses, then heavy on head.  Now apart.  Now to left leg single!!  Gets it!! 2-2.  

Now they are battling, Gos stands up straight and Cox immediately on sweep single to right leg.  Gets it but only gets the step out.  3-2.  1:20 to go.  40 sec to go.  Shoves him out but no point since a straight arm push.   Gost is firing.  Diving in.  J'den easily avoids.  

Big win for J'Den!!!!  Gostiyev beat Karimi.  Another great win for J'Den.  3-2.