Sign in to follow this  
nom

World cup - USA results

And a very good effort by Cox as well.  

A common misconception, is Cox is new to the international styles.   Not the case.  Cox is a seasoned veteran, and although he's new to the seniors, he can absolutely freestyle.  Not like he's folkstyling out there.     Usa should be set here for years, with Cox having arrived, and Taylor growing into the weight class.  

Fun times for USA wrestling. 

Snyder Man vs Alborov

1:40 in, snatch single by Snyder but can't hold it.  Shot clock point for Snyder.  1-0.

Big flurry at end over period.  Snyder nearly gets pushout but switches to a leg, lifts, but times up.

2nd period - Snyder is making moves but not much is really committed to.  One of the less exciting matches.  

Passive on Alborov.  1:40 to go.  2-0 Snyder now.  1:10 to go.  zzzz.  

Done.  2-1 on a pushout at very end.  

Varner is US rep - vs Gamidov.

Gamidov works deep underhook but Varner is able to shrug out of it.  

Gamidov gets in deep on a leg ... but somehow Varner is able to break it.  Gamidov has body lock but Varner is hips out.  Stopped.

Varner ankle pick as Gamidov spins on a dime and flops to stomach!!!  2-0!!!  Ref stops it fast when Varner is on top.  Confusion as to why it was stopped so fast.  No answer.

Varner contact issue.  43 sec to go in 1st.  

And another pick!!!  Then he guts Gamidov!!!  WOW.  6-0 as period ends!!!!

Gamidov in a low shot from a distance.  Gets to leg.  But Varner gets it out.   Gets away AND THEN ANKLE PICK FEET TO BACK!!!  WOW!!  I need to see that again!!!

10-0!!!!!!!!

who would have called this .... wow.  8-0 vs AZE.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to rub it in. I just want you guys to realize Cox his history in the makin. He's a different animal. And wrestling with the best guys will only improve him better and better.

trust me-this board is full of guys that know history, and understand the process of getting better.  But we are like a wife-we don't need to be told everytime you are right!  We have great memories, especially in regards to wrestling (except for our own careers, then things get a little foggy sometimes).

Could Varner be a threat at Heavy?!

That looked way too easy for him.

Just as I tell my lighter high school HWT's don't make it a grinding muscle contest and definitely don't shoot straight on. For the most part it applies about the same at College and International. If Varner can avoid those two thing he has a chance at winning some matches and depending on the draw who knows how it will end up. He's a previous Olympic Champion so he clearly know what it take to win against tough competition. Edited by MadMardigain

This AZE guy is 2nd tier so dang! From what I hear Varner gets the best of Rey but those are just 2 min goes sparing this trip. The coaches said put him at heavy if he is beating Rey after Tervel pulled out. Rey is actually our biggest top heavy also. Can he beat Tervel?  History says Tervel got the best of those goes in the room. Now? It would be close. Can he medal? I thought no..... but now after that? Only one match but the bigger Varner gets the better that style he wrestles helps him! He is 6 1 and better suited for heavy than Snyder at 5 11. Good problem to have! Next cycle is going to be good for USA wrestling! 

Edited by PRyan2012

Got home late and missed most of the action today, but did catch Gadisov's match against Mongolia just now. Wow, check it out, looks like Gadisov hits the "Kyle Snyder" low single, and he got it more than once. Looked just like Snyder's move that beat him at Worlds.

I thought our guys did very very good, a lot of positives, that can be said about all our guys. The only disappointments ( for me), was Dieringer not getting that last second call, against the guy from India, but I think if they wrestle again Alex wins pretty handily. The other was Snyder's match against the Azerbaijani, not sure what was going on there. I know this guy from Azerbijan is a phenomenal wrestler at Juniors, but I thought Kyle had plenty of opportunity, and was wrestling not to lose more than he was wrestling to win.

How many of you think that Frank's haircut is an advantage to him?  It seems like the majority of his matches against international wrestlers gets chippy, and he receives a lot of points from it. Do you think the other wrestlers just want to smack the **** out of him because of the haircut?  Seems like the hair gets into their heads.

Edited by greco_gilligan