Sign in to follow this  
nom

World cup - USA results

I was posting in the other thread. 

Two points: 

1. Snyder looked flat all tournament. Or am I being too harsh. I felt he wasn't getting his scoring going and didn't look top form.

2. Cox' loss to the Georgian, what happened? After defeating seemingly tougher competition, he slips.

Cox is vey good but come on, let's not be so surprised by a loss at this level. It doesn't take away from his otherwise impressive day. He is a rookie at the world level and obviously making a deep cut. He's not going to be on his A game every single minute of every single match. Maybe in a year or two, but today, I was very impressed by him, loss and all. I didn't expect him to win two matches.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Well day 2 did not bode well for Dennis and Ramos, Dennis looked like he was a little short of energy as his matches wore on. Hopefully he can rectify that. Tony, unfortunately is a 57'er wrestling the best of the 61'ers. He did hold his own though, but not sure what's in store for him other than his new coaching endeavor. But hopefully his best days are in front of him. I thought Frankie and James Green did outstanding job. They showed some great tenacity, very impressive. Alex dropped his first match of the day to a very tough Iranian, but rebounded nicely and had a posted a solid win. If Dieringer can continue getting experience like this, no telling how much he'll improve. Cox overall had a great two days knocking off a couple of tough customers, but got behind against a very good Georgian, and just couldn't make it all the way back. But I think good things are in store for Mr. Cox. Snyder, well he had four wins this weekend, two of which he was able to get his offense going, but I think his most impressive win was to dig deep and pull out a win against a very good and crafty Georgian. All in all I think Kyle is phenomenal, and most of the wrestling world probably thinks that way as well. However, if Kyle can continue his growth as a wrestler, well, it'll be even more amazing. Varner, did an awesome job filling in at Heavy. But you can really tell the size and weight difference when he was out there brawling with that Human mountain of an Iranian. So if Jake is going to pursue a future at 125 Kg. He's going to have to pack on some additional muscle. Rey, well We only got to see hm wrestle one match, against a very tough Georgian but I just don't see him being an offensive enough to be in the top tier. Hopefully Dlagnev is healthy and ready to go for Rio. If not, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Varner and Rey wrestle off for the spot. I know Jake will be undersized for some of his possible opponents, but I think he has more offensive attacks than Rey.

Agree with the rest on Cox.  He showed that he's a medal contender over the past two days in weight we had difficulty qualifying prior to his arrival.  That means 74, 86, and 96 are all in medal contention.  125 as well IF Tervel can be healthy for a day.  This is probably our strongest team in a number of cycles going into an olympics based on prior accomplishments/expected results.  

We need to find an upper echelon guy at the lower weights. Ramos/Dennis is solid but not ever going to put us over the hump of the likes of Rahimi/Bonne/Georgian and the russians I don't see either ever medaling- Ramos for sure - Dennis possibly but he got exposed today.  And Yes he got up on the Georgian but I don't think that they were on the same level - very impressed by the world champ just calmly coming back and pinning. Very smooth and great technique from the Georgian.

I don't care how close the matches with Rahimi have been prior - this is a guy that I find I underrate. He is a prime time performer and clutch. Might be ugly but he might be one of the best mentally in smarts and toughness. and today it wasn't really close with Dennis.

That right there is the weak point of our lineup. Lost both the lower round bouts in the only matches we lost to go down 0-2. Can't do that.

We need Nashon Garrett as I think he has the talent to do it for us. The problem is I don't know if this guy has the desire to do it. And he is going to Arizona State where those guys seem to drop off.....and he seems like a weird cat who doesn't love wrestling.

The rest of our lineup is looking good. Molinaro looked like he did at the trials.

Now for Dieringer - a guy considered one of the strongest wrestlers around perhaps the strongest pound for pound at the NCAA level. He can beat alot of guys in the world at this weight class he is good - but I was blown away in the Iran match and this speaks to the excellence of one Yazdani Charati. A future gold medalist perhaps this year and next star of wrestling. 

Yazdani is the best on the best team at the strategy of controlling the center of the mat.  He punked James Green who looks amazing last year at worlds. Green could barely stay on the mat. Same with Dierenger. - and Howe is a straight workhorse and I believe he would of got pushed around. Who is better in the world at underhooks and control than Yazdani ?

The frame the length the power to control the mat and ties - I think he can give Burroughs a tough one. 

Karimi looked like he was off and to me it looked like he wasn't as physically imposing and was off the steroids as maybe why.  

I liked to see Zach Rey attempt shots. first time I have seen him try. I liked it even if it didn't score

I agree with you on Yazdani. I think he was the most impressive wrestler at the entire event, at least in my eyes. I'd be very interested in seeing how he fares against JB. The guy still appears to be improving substantially and hasn't yet come close to reaching his ceiling.

Is Burroughs going to wrestle in Armenia next month, to see Yazdani vs Burroughs?

I'm not saying this is even a real factor, but strategically, does it make sense for JB to give the kid a look before the Olympics? I feel Yazdani has more to gain than JB from an encounter before Rio.

I'm not saying this is even a real factor, but strategically, does it make sense for JB to give the kid a look before the Olympics? I feel Yazdani has more to gain than JB from an encounter before Rio.

I agree 100%.  I wouldn't go if I'm JB.

Can someone explain the Cox challenge? That didn't seem smart. That point was looking huge when Cox was close to a third takedown.

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see anything worth challenging there and that was a costly point

No idea, since it hasn't happened, but I'd go with Ringer by 4+. He is too much of a beast for Hall at this point in his development.

well after his dismantling by Yazdani, i wouldn't be calling Dieringer a beast by any stretch and Hall is a proven freestyler albeit at the Jr level.

As good as Hall is, I just can't see him hanging with Dieringer quite yet.  Plus, it really wouldn't be fair to insert someone that went 2-2 beating Massa and Godley, while losing 10-0 to Howe and 14-5 to Adam Hall.  Mark Hall will have his time, let's not rush it!

I was literally typing up a response very similar to yours, MSU, but you beat me to the punch.

If we're going to impute a result of a hypothetical Ringer vs. Hall match, recent track record is heavily in Ringer's favor. Hall is a phenomenal talent. FOR HIS AGE. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Well...let's see ...dieringer and hall were both at the camp, and the coaches sent dieringer out all 4 times. I guess they just wanted the USA to lose.

I mean...did anyone watch OTTs?  Hall is a great talent, but he's a couple years away from banging with the best.  Yesterday, Dieringer finished off his weekend by clubbing Georgia's guy who qualified their weight for the Olympics through the European tournament--by far the toughest continental qualifier in the world. 

Edited by maligned

well after his dismantling by Yazdani, i wouldn't be calling Dieringer a beast by any stretch and Hall is a proven freestyler albeit at the Jr level.

Dieringer is every bit as proven Freestyler at the Jr level having won World Silver a few years back.