Gantry

Props to Iran

I must have missed this.  Was it on the broadcast?  NIce gesture for sure.

I really enjoy watching the Iranians wrestle.  I'd love to see some insight into what their youth level instruction is like.  They are so fundamentally and positionally sound that it has to be ingrained from day one.

I must have missed this.  Was it on the broadcast?  NIce gesture for sure.

I really enjoy watching the Iranians wrestle.  I'd love to see some insight into what their youth level instruction is like.  They are so fundamentally and positionally sound that it has to be ingrained from day one.

I cannot find the whole documentary, but I have seen it in the past.  Here is the trailer http://www.contraimage.com/projects/documentary/too-young,-the-hero.aspx

It is a documentary on youth wrestling in Iran. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

What's scary is the rate of his improvement. He is still getting better at a fair clip.

Did Dieringer look overly nervous to you?  He just seemed intimidated from the whistle, never really attempting to control the ties and really just reacting to whatever Yazdani was doing.  He took on that "I don't want to get teched" look.

He didn't look that way in the beginning but by the 2nd period, he was definitely in damage control mode. Ringer is used to doing the manhandling. He hasn't developed a good enough game plan yet against guys who can put it on him the way he puts it on most people, e.g. Howe, Yazdani.

Did Dieringer look overly nervous to you?  He just seemed intimidated from the whistle, never really attempting to control the ties and really just reacting to whatever Yazdani was doing.  He took on that "I don't want to get teched" look.

I didn't think so, I think he is a guy who's offense is from ties and Yazdani is as good as they come in that position. Ringer is used to controlling the tie and elbow passing for scores. Yazdani was moving him with ease. 

Yazdani is not right there with Burroughs. The hype train was in full speed last year right up until he was easily beaten in the finals of the worlds at 70kg by the Russian. Dieringer is not a good judge. He lost to the Indian as well. The tsabalov etched was impressive I will admit but Burroughs...no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deiringer giving up the four early, threw him off his game.  It might not have mattered, but I think he looked different being down by 4 early in the toughest match of his career (according to John Smith)

BTW, that four point score nets 0 points in folkstyle.  Can't help but think the folkstyle training again worked against in this match.

Although, I think, J'Den's out of bounds TD came from the folkstyle out of bounds, playing the edge, we see so much.

Edited by Jim L

What I saw was dinger backing up...or being pushed back.. never seen this in his career..folkstyle, freestyle or Greco. It's not like he was creating space for an outside shot because ive never seen one that I can remember. Maybe nerves, falling behind..conditioning for sure ..could see it in his face between periods.

What I saw was dinger backing up...or being pushed back.. never seen this in his career..folkstyle, freestyle or Greco. It's not like he was creating space for an outside shot because ive never seen one that I can remember. Maybe nerves, falling behind..conditioning for sure ..could see it in his face between periods.

From what I remember seeing, virtually every Iranian wrestler controlled the mat against the Americans. Even the matches the USA won, it seemed the Iranian was always butt to the center and working the American towards the edge of the mat. 

From what I remember seeing, virtually every Iranian wrestler controlled the mat against the Americans. Even the matches the USA won, it seemed the Iranian was always butt to the center and working the American towards the edge of the mat. 

I agree.  I think Frank was maybe 50/50 in controlling the mat, and Snyder perhaps as well, but by and large the Iranians controlled the mat.