Sign in to follow this  
Hubbard

Russia at 97

Well, I think the Russians don't always go with who wins the wrestle offs, I believe that they go with who gives them their best chance to win. They look at past performances, and well as their estimation on who will preform the best in the upcoming event which will determines who will be their number one guy.

Man, if Gadisov had ice in his veins. 

Agree. His tendency to fade aerobically and clam up strategically tilt the tables toward Bolt, who has been on a helluva roll this year.  Would have to think Bolt gets it if the decision were to be made now.  A lot can happen between now and Rio though.

Boltukaev is the guy. Russian coaches confirmed to me this weekend.

And he deserved that, winning Ivan Yarygin beating both Snyder and Varner, teching Gatsalov to win the Russian Nationals, putting a wrestling clinic to win Euros (teching Odikadze on the way). Meanwhile Gadisov lost to Gatsalov on Alexander Medved and almost lost to Odikadze after almost teching him because he faded badly on the second period (and his gas tank on other matches wasn't all right it seemed).

The only chance for Gadisov to mantain his chances to win that spot was to wrestle and beat Snyder on the World Cup. Burroughs not wrestling took away USA chances of getting the first place on its group and wrestle against Russia for gold.

You simply don't go from top guy and bronze medalist to teching top guys. He hasn't lost all year and has dominated everyone at a later point in his career. Same for old Yazdani-bumps up a weight and starts dominating. I am starting to suspect everyone now.  

yah it's definetly possible if not probable based on the wada reports. However in his defense it's also just as possible he spent a ton of time in the weight room. He stopped competing for a while no? He could have bascially stopped wrestling all together and just focused on body building for 1-2 years. Putting on 30 pounds of muscle in that time is definetly possible.

Russians and Eastern Euros are not big on weight rooms, etc.  No good Russian wrestler I've ever met loved the weight room or spent as much time lifting as he did on technique, so the speculation that a top guy just broke from the grid to concentrate on body-building (and he doesn't have a body-builder's physique now, but a jacked diesel pile-driving rig) doesn't really fly with me.  JMHO

Russians and Eastern Euros are not big on weight rooms, etc.  No good Russian wrestler I've ever met loved the weight room or spent as much time lifting as he did on technique, so the speculation that a top guy just broke from the grid to concentrate on body-building (and he doesn't have a body-builder's physique now, but a jacked diesel pile-driving rig) doesn't really fly with me.  JMHO

The Dagestan team seems to know their way around a weight room. 

https://youtu.be/sFvVVMI26tY?t=14m26s

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

PRyan, you have to be careful with those suspicions because some of our guys could be suspected of the same. Very hard to prove.

Very true.  Test them.  All of them.  A simple way to do this would be to have doctors from other nations gather the samples and test them at neutral sites.  For example, an approved American doc would take a Russian's sample (with an approved Russian doctor present as witness) and then test it at a neutral site (again, with the Russian doctor present).  And vice versa.  Or, for example, have a Swiss doctor take the sample of an American (with both an approved American and Russian medical official present or anyone else who wants  to observe) and then test that sample in Switzerland (again, with any approved official from another nation present).  As it has been done, with Russians testing Russians in Russia, well, you see what a cluster that has resulted in.

The Dagestan team seems to know their way around a weight room. 

https://youtu.be/sFvVVMI26tY?t=14m26s

Guys doing some circuit training on a whistle hardly attests to a massive commitment to weight training.  This looks like supplemental cross-training after a mat session.  And if you look at the weight/number of plates they're hefting, this isn't an out-take from "The Pumping Iron."  JMHO