Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

If I were King of the World...A dozen things I would do related to wrestling...

I would impose the following changes to wrestling:

1. Folkstyle would be outlawed.

2. There would be 10 weights in MFS.

3. There would be a "Major" international event held every 3 months (3 annually, plus World's/Olympics), as well as minor ones in between.  Qualification for Worlds/Olympics would be based on each athlete's performance in these events; points would be earned at the events (more at the major ones than the minor ones). Each country could send up to 3 wrestlers at each weight to each event, as well as Worlds/Olympics.

4. Maximum Bracket size for each weight for each major event would be 64.  Athletes would earn points over a rolling 12 month period like golf/tennis rankings, based on performance at major and minor events held over previous 12 months.  Top 60 in points would be invited to Worlds/Olympics and seeded based on points earned.  Four (4) Wild Cards to be invited based on a vote held in this forum (or by a legitimate International Committee).

5. Tech Fall would be increased to 12 points.

6. There would be a limit of two (2) turns allowed on gut wrenches and leg laces  --- so a TD leading to two (2) leg lace turns would be 6 points earned and the wrestlers would be brought back to their feet.

7. Singlets would be replaced with something more modern.  

8. Dake/Taylor would be required to wrestle each other weekly until Taylor beats him -- or until Taylor retires.

9. Repechage would be replaced with a true double elimination format.  All events would be held in venues large enough to have enough mats to complete 5 weights in one day and the other 5 the next day.

10. Greco and WFS would be held on different days than MFS. 

11. ESPN would handle all streaming of the events and would be required to invest the same resources/time/$$$ to the event that they do the the NCAAs.

12. Jason Bryant would be required to dress like the Grand Wizard of Wrestling and be mat side at all events.  He would handle post match interviews.  His compensation would be inversely proportional to the number of softball questions he asks the wrestlers.

Edited by Angry_Fish

3. There would be a "Major" international event held every 3 months (3 annually, plus World's/Olympics), as well as minor ones in between. Qualification for Worlds/Olympics would be based on each athlete's performance in these events; points would be earned at the events (more at the major ones than the minor ones). Each country could send up to 3 wrestlers at each weight to each event, as well as Worlds/Olympics.

4. Maximum Bracket size for each weight for each major event would be 64. Athletes would earn points over a rolling 12 month period like golf/tennis rankings, based on performance at major and minor events held over previous 12 months. Top 60 in points would be invited to Worlds/Olympics and seeded based on points earned. Four (4) Wild Cards to be invited based on a vote held in this forum (or by a legitimate International Committee).

6. There would be a limit of two (2) turns allowed on gut wrenches and leg laces --- so a TD leading to two (2) leg lace turns would be 6 points earned and the wrestlers would be brought back to their feet.

8. Dake/Taylor would be required to wrestle each other weekly until Taylor beats him -- or until Taylor retires.

9. Repechage would be replaced with a true double elimination format. All events would be held in venues large enough to have enough mats to complete 5 weights in one day and the other 5 the next day.

11. ESPN would handle all streaming of the events and would be required to invest the same resources/time/$$$ to the event that they do the the NCAAs.

12. Jason Bryant would be required to dress like the Grand Wizard of Wrestling and be mat side at all events. He would handle post match interviews. His compensation would be inversely proportional to the number of softball questions he asks the wrestlers.

I'm good with all except for #6 and sending up to 3 from each country to worlds/Olympics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You let Russia, Iran and some of the others send 3 to Olympics/Worlds, USA is going to be hard pressed to be competitive.   

With the increase of weight classes to 10, USA should be able to get most of their hammers in the line up,  perhaps even Dake.   No sense in making it even more difficult for our guys to get on the medal stand, by adding more foreign competition.   

3. There would be a "Major" international event held every 3 months (3 annually, plus World's/Olympics), as well as minor ones in between.  Qualification for Worlds/Olympics would be based on each athlete's performance in these events; points would be earned at the events (more at the major ones than the minor ones). Each country could send up to 3 wrestlers at each weight to each event, as well as Worlds/Olympics.

4. Maximum Bracket size for each weight for each major event would be 64.  Athletes would earn points over a rolling 12 month period like golf/tennis rankings, based on performance at major and minor events held over previous 12 months.  Top 60 in points would be invited to Worlds/Olympics and seeded based on points earned.  Four (4) Wild Cards to be invited based on a vote held in this forum (or by a legitimate International Committee).

6. There would be a limit of two (2) turns allowed on gut wrenches and leg laces  --- so a TD leading to two (2) leg lace turns would be 6 points earned and the wrestlers would be brought back to their feet.

9. Repechage would be replaced with a true double elimination format.  All events would be held in venues large enough to have enough mats to complete 5 weights in one day and the other 5 the next day.

12. Jason Bryant would be required to dress like the Grand Wizard of Wrestling and be mat side at all events.  He would handle post match interviews.  His compensation would be inversely proportional to the number of softball questions he asks the wrestlers.

You complete me.

Yeah ... not going to accept any title of "Grand Wizard" in any way, shape or form. Maybe the compensation, because there is a balance between tough question and softball you must ask to elicit the desired response. AF might want to work on that title and its historical significance. 

Edited by JasonBryant

You let Russia, Iran and some of the others send 3 to Olympics/Worlds, USA is going to be hard pressed to be competitive.   

With the increase of weight classes to 10, USA should be able to get most of their hammers in the line up,  perhaps even Dake.   No sense in making it even more difficult for our guys to get on the medal stand, by adding more foreign competition.   

If the top 3 guys in the world at a given weight are all Russians, they deserve all 3 medals.  Note that there would only be 3 medals (see item 9).

Edited by Angry_Fish

I'll credit #8 with my properly cleaned computer screen, which was necessary after I laughed a half chewed bite of my lunch onto it. 

#4 & #9 - So, a 64 man bracket wrestled in one day.  lol

That would require 156 matches to be wrestled (correct me if I am wrong, I did this quickly).

If the venue was large enough for 12 mats or so, it is doable.

Edited by Angry_Fish